Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 03:56 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Read about the Emmett Till case from 1955 and ask yourself how much simpler and better "the old days" were.

Yes.... we must condemn everyone for the actions of the guilty. In that regard, the present days are simpler, but not better. Simpler, because I guess it's better to burn down the whole house rather than just fix what's broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 05:03 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong with road maps? I still use them. Road maps will not misdirect me, occasionally sending me way off track, or nearly cause accidents due to poorly-explained directions.
On the other hand, modern GPS apps--such as Waze--take accidents and construction delays into consideration when suggesting an appropriate route. I had been relying on the embedded GPS technology that came with my car until a few years ago, when I realized that it was "dumb" regarding current road conditions.

A road map, which may have been published/printed several decades ago, cannot possibly reflect real-time road conditions. A modern smartphone-based app--like Waze--takes everything into consideration when it suggests routing for you.

I still have road maps in my car, but I haven't had any need to unfold them for at least 7 years.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:28 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
On the other hand, modern GPS apps--such as Waze--take accidents and construction delays into consideration when suggesting an appropriate route. I had been relying on the embedded GPS technology that came with my car until a few years ago, when I realized that it was "dumb" regarding current road conditions.

A road map, which may have been published/printed several decades ago, cannot possibly reflect real-time road conditions. A modern smartphone-based app--like Waze--takes everything into consideration when it suggests routing for you.

I still have road maps in my car, but I haven't had any need to unfold them for at least 7 years.

But these apps just get you from point A to point B in the most efficient manner. Who wants that all the time? I like to explore. I often look for the long way home. A paper map is good for that. I'm with Dr. Seuss: Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Old 10-30-2022, 06:52 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Road maps-yes. Because I like to explore and I like to see where I am and what else is around. A road map gives you the whole picture. I use my phone if I just want to get somewhere.

I miss good tv shows. I think that ended sometime in the '90s. I only get a few channels but the networks are just boring trash and about the only entertainment is on PBS. I get plain PBS and PBS Spirit and they used to have PBS Create too. They dropped Create for PBS Kids. Good for kids to have something to watch.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:07 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmorning View Post
Personally I think no one under 18 should be allowed on the internet. The internet is wiping out the desire for children and teens to have a range of interests and even to just socialize and be together. Social Media and Gaming are both created to be highly addictive and it’s preventing the younger generations from being well rounded and experiencing life that’s not online. I notice how China bans Tik Tok (which it owns) for its own population, while promoting every depravity, confusion, division and distraction to American and Western kids. We are very stupid if we let this continue.

So short answer, yes, humans seemed to be much better at building community and entertaining each other before TV and the internet. (Of course I grew up with TV but I think that started to break down society first, as it had the same effect of isolating people in their homes and not socializing as much as they would have or taking up hobbies with others etc.). It also primed us to accept what we were being told through a screen.
Agree with this - television, then cable, and now the Internet have all served to degrade our critical thinking skills and to undermine our social structures. We can follow all of that back to the $$$, which drove the integration of all of these technologies into our daily lives.

That's the main difference in the "old days" versus our modern technological society. There was a lot more personal interaction and less isolation before our brains were transformed by electronic media.

I hate to break it to you, but yes, we are very stupid. Or maybe a better description is very easily manipulated.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
OP, those videos showing the old buildings and places you remember in "the old days", are hard to look at for me right now, after the December 10 tornado wiped out the town of Mayfield, Ky., where I live. There are several Facebook pages where residents, and former residents, share pictures and tell stories about growing up here.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:20 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
But these apps just get you from point A to point B in the most efficient manner.
All depends how you set it up. My GPS takes me some wonderful places. Thorough amazing neighborhoods. It is always a surprise to me (when I travel) how she will get me to where I need to go.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:57 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
Life was better in the seventies when I was in my twenties than it is now in the twenties and I'm in my seventies.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:23 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

And that really sucks for those of us who actually live and work in popular tourist destinations.

Gone are the days where us locals can zig and zag along the back roads to get to our place of business while the main roads are backed up. Now everybody looks at their stupid phones (not the road) to get an updated path to take and the then the lost tourists clog up all the "shortcuts" that we used to be able to use.

Now the whole area is filled with congestion because of lost tourists still glued to their phones taking it super slow and even causing some accidents in the process.

And, it seems the majority cant get anywhere without that stupid GPS. I, personally like going anywhere without listening to that damn voice. The only GPS I use is on my boat!

Old 10-31-2022, 09:44 AM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Wow, your compassion and empathy is overwhelming. If there were any examples, in the "good old days" of white people being brutally tortured and beaten to death because of the color of their skin, while their murderers went free and unpunished after a sham trial, I'd love to hear it.

Whenever people do reminisce this wonderful time years ago when everything was great, it's usually, as has already been mentioned, they were children and didn't have any responsibilities or awareness of the world as it really was. And for women, people of color, non-Christians, and gays and lesbians, these times were only better for certain kinds of people. No one wants to back to a time when they could have been openly discriminated against.

There are injustices today as well. Always have been, always will be. Should every era in human history be defined by it's injustices? Should the experiences of people in good circumstances always be invalidated by pointing out the existence of those less fortunate? The only way to ever create a situation where there is nobody less fortunate is to have us all be equally miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History