Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 06:07 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
One consideration was that the navies of the second half of the 19th century ran on sail, but also on coal, necessitating the acquisition of far-flung coaling stations and naval bases. The naval empires sought out natural harbors around the globe, and Pearl Harbor at Oahu was one of the best harbors in the central Pacific.

Yes, it still sucks that the US, abetted by American businessmen based in Hawaii for the sugar trade, pretty much overthrew the Kingdom of Hawaii, but I posit that it was just a matter of time before either the United States or some other European power snatched up Hawaii as a possession.
England was eyeing Hawai'i at the time. So was Japan, which was shipping thousands of workers to the sugar plantations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
One consideration was that the navies of the second half of the 19th century ran on sail, but also on coal, necessitating the acquisition of far-flung coaling stations and naval bases. The naval empires sought out natural harbors around the globe, and Pearl Harbor at Oahu was one of the best harbors in the central Pacific.

Yes, it still sucks that the US, abetted by American businessmen based in Hawaii for the sugar trade, pretty much overthrew the Kingdom of Hawaii, but I posit that it was just a matter of time before either the United States or some other European power snatched up Hawaii as a possession.
Good post.
And Grover Cleveland basically tried to protect Hawaii from predation, but..

My opinion, Cleveland had a very wise & modest approach to the presidency & power in general.
Good posts and good points all. Obviously all the Pacific islands that I can think of were gobbled up by the U.S., Japan or European powers, with the exception of islands off the South American coast. Tahiti and a bunch of others went to France. I could be wrong on some of this, but believe the Marshall Islands, the Solomon Islands, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Fiji and others went to Japan. Alaska (not an island of course) and the Aleutian Islands went to Russia, and thence to the U.S. The Philippines initially went to Spain, and thence to the U.S. Hawaii was one of the last to fall, and it fell to the U.S.

I had not thought of the angle of coaling stations but it makes sense, from the number of Pacific islands taken over, that may have had some impact. I would assume that major shipping companies would have wanted to control and ensure their ability to traverse the Pacific.

As far as Grover Cleveland, he was not yet President. Benjamin Harrison was in office through March 4, 1893.

What I did not know, however, was that there was a prior revolt in 1887 which the Queen tried to reverse. Link to New York Times article. Apparently the situation was a lot less stable than I had thought. I will read more over the next day or two, now that I saved the link for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 11:33 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, one must appreciate what Hawaii was at the time, necessary for the defence of the United States. For the fuel efficiency of coal, the US could not be attacked without an intermediate coaling station in the Pacific and that was Hawaii. (According to Alfred Thayer Mahan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History