Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:01 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've known a couple of women whose cramps were so bad, they had to take 2 days off every month. This used up the vacation allowance of one woman. The other's work schedule was such, that she routinely put in more time on the days she did work, taking work home with her, so it worked out in the end.

OP, the solution to your cramps should be very easy. It's a hormone imbalance that causes that. Ask your doctor to give you progesterone capsules. (Oprah did a show on this with a couple of women MD's from LA, ages ago. I tried it, and it works!) Apparently it's usually only the doctors who don't accept insurance who offer this to their patients. I don't know why regular primary-care docs don't. Maybe if you saw an endocrinologist, you might get somewhere. My doctor had heard of it, but she never volunteered the information. I had to ask her.
Thanks. I will ask the gyno next time I see her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 10:10 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
^^^
Concur that 60s were not considered young. Still not the case, and I'm 69.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It should be very obvious I am speaking of life expectancy.

Also, and what everyone misses,is that I am speaking of life expectancy as a whole,which includes Africa and Asia.

What some are missing is that I am speaking as a whole. Most of the world did not have access to morphine or heroin. The poor in American barely had access to it. So I am not sure your reply applies in this situation.
Very,very few people back then thought 68 was young. I am not buying it,especially when people were getting married and having children at very young ages.
Many areas have traditional medicines that are sometimes quite effective. Even now, acupuncture is recommended to many people for pain. When I went to Japan, my PCP there told me that doctors in Japan are trained on traditional Chinese and western medicine. When you go to the pharmacy, it basically has one side with the traditional Chinese medicines and the other side with the western medicines. I asked for a migraine med and was given a triptan and a Chinese medicine to try.

In the past, life expectancy increased dramatically if you could make it out of childhood without dying of illness. For women, childbirth was obviously much riskier, particularly since women had many more children than we have now. A lot of the women who were targeted as “witches” in the previous times were often women with herbal knowledge they could use to help with pain and other situations. Certainly for things like reflux, there are a lot of natural remedies known to work including teas like ginger, licorice, and camomile. Mint can help with digestion generally. Midwives also tended to be pretty knowledgeable about the basics. It’s not like women just flailed on their own if they had a local midwife to help. Midwifery is still popular in other countries even though they aren’t used as often here.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I have some very very old photos of relatives posing for a photo. In them, none are smiling. All have some unhappy morbid looks on their faces. I now think they probably had some type of pain in some area that was bothering them and they just were hoping for relief.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:04 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
I've known a couple of women whose cramps were so bad, they had to take 2 days off every month. This used up the vacation allowance of one woman. The other's work schedule was such, that she routinely put in more time on the days she did work, taking work home with her, so it worked out in the end.
I get menstrual pain so badly I vomit, and not just during my period, but also when I ovulate and for some reason around day 20 of my cycle. Three times a month and it lasts about 5 days each time which means basically half of each month I was not able to do much, go anywhere, etc. It was hard to eat during flare ups so I was losing weight (it was getting progressively worse every year). It's not just cramps but also inflammation, and it effects surrounding organs which means it also causes digestive problems (sometimes diarrhea, sometimes constipation) I was speaking to someone else with the same condition and she said she passed out from the pain once.

High amounts of Ibuprofen would help significantly, but I was taking way too much too regularly for it to be a long term solution. A combination of zofran (anti-nausea) and codeine also helped but then I couldn't drive for hours. The best solution is the mini-pill or POP. I still get pain and nausea during my period (still get my period even though I'm on the pill with no placebo), but normal amounts of Ibuprofen work and I no longer get the flare ups at other times of my cycle. I can actually function like a normal human being again.

I have no idea what I would have done in history. I know there's herbal treatments, like St John's Wort, but I don't know how effective they are. I'm of the belief that herbal medicine is generally not as effective as modern medicine because if it were, we never would have had the need to develop modern medicine. Sadly, I think many people in history who became alcoholics or opium addicts may have been self medicating chronic pain like this.

Quote:
OP, the solution to your cramps should be very easy. It's a hormone imbalance that causes that. Ask your doctor to give you progesterone capsules. (Oprah did a show on this with a couple of women MD's from LA, ages ago. I tried it, and it works!) Apparently it's usually only the doctors who don't accept insurance who offer this to their patients. I don't know why regular primary-care docs don't. Maybe if you saw an endocrinologist, you might get somewhere. My doctor had heard of it, but she never volunteered the information. I had to ask her.
I'm not sure how that differs from progestin/progesterone pills like birth control pills or hormone replacement theory, which are regularly prescribed by doctors all the time.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:12 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I have some very very old photos of relatives posing for a photo. In them, none are smiling. All have some unhappy morbid looks on their faces. I now think they probably had some type of pain in some area that was bothering them and they just were hoping for relief.
It was typical not to smile for a formal photo in the 19th century, nothing to do with subjects being in pain.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:18 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
This is what you hear from the US Marines on pain.... "pain if fear, leaving your body".

Old 01-29-2023, 12:53 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I think that's more likely because exposure for a photo took several minutes while the subjects had to sit there motionless the whole time. Smiling for pictures wasn't always a thing.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:01 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I get menstrual pain so badly I vomit, and not just during my period, but also when I ovulate and for some reason around day 20 of my cycle. Three times a month and it lasts about 5 days each time which means basically half of each month I was not able to do much, go anywhere, etc. It was hard to eat during flare ups so I was losing weight (it was getting progressively worse every year). It's not just cramps but also inflammation, and it effects surrounding organs which means it also causes digestive problems (sometimes diarrhea, sometimes constipation) I was speaking to someone else with the same condition and she said she passed out from the pain once.

High amounts of Ibuprofen would help significantly, but I was taking way too much too regularly for it to be a long term solution. A combination of zofran (anti-nausea) and codeine also helped but then I couldn't drive for hours. The best solution is the mini-pill or POP. I still get pain and nausea during my period (still get my period even though I'm on the pill with no placebo), but normal amounts of Ibuprofen work and I no longer get the flare ups at other times of my cycle. I can actually function like a normal human being again.

I have no idea what I would have done in history. I know there's herbal treatments, like St John's Wort, but I don't know how effective they are. I'm of the belief that herbal medicine is generally not as effective as modern medicine because if it were, we never would have had the need to develop modern medicine. Sadly, I think many people in history who became alcoholics or opium addicts may have been self medicating chronic pain like this.

I'm not sure how that differs from progestin/progesterone pills like birth control pills or hormone replacement theory, which are regularly prescribed by doctors all the time.
Half our medications come from natural sources to begin with but were synthesized in laboratories and standards set for best effect. There is not only the willow bark/aspirin story or opium made from poppies or cocaine from coca leaves, what about the yew tree for Tamoxifin, which treats breast cancer, or digitalus, a heart medicine that came from the foxglove plant? Or birth control pills, where estrogen is extracted from the urine of a pregnant mare. The first insulin used for diabetes treatment was extracted from dogs and then other animals.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:37 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
We can, and do bypass the doctors, and get Progesterone cream OTC. Emerita makes an excellent cream. Read the many comments for further info. It has been very popular. I've used it for years to great effect. Whatever you do don't use a progestin since it is synthetic, and our bodies don't recognize it. It was what was used in the studies with an estrogen that caused so many bad health issues. But bio identical progesterone doesn't cause these issues. Be sure to do your own detective work.

https://www.amazon.com/Emerita-Proge...%2C1972&sr=8-1

-------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History