Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:35 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times

Advertisements

I am the leader of my country. I am designing a "Great Seal" for it.
This is my proposal:
On the front will be the Children of Isreal in the wild being led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.
On the reverse will be the likeness of Hengist and Horsa, the first Saxon Chiefs to arrive and conquor Britian, because "it is from them we claim the honor of being descended and whose political principles and form of government we have assumed."

Who am I and what is my country???

(I'm thinking this will be super easy or a real stumper)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
I'm racking my brain on this one trudy as i'm stumped.....Any more clues??

Old 05-29-2008, 06:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Well, it isn't Australia, or Canada, or the United States. Who else can "claim the honor of being descended and whose political principles and form of government we have assumed?"

Unless this is a trick question and the above design is NOT the final one chosen. She said it is a proposal. Is that a clue, or a red herring? Am I overthinking this?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM

OK...it was NOT used!!! so don't count anything out!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:26 PM

I think Benjamin Franklin did something with the Exodus out of Egypt, but I have no idea about the Saxon chiefs, so I am going to guess. Benjamin Franklin is my final answer.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I am the leader of my country. I am designing a "Great Seal" for it.
This is my proposal:
On the front will be the Children of Isreal in the wild being led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.
On the reverse will be the likeness of Hengist and Horsa, the first Saxon Chiefs to arrive and conquor Britian, because "it is from them we claim the honor of being descended and whose political principles and form of government we have assumed."

Who am I and what is my country???

(I'm thinking this will be super easy or a real stumper)
Interesting, because there may be more than one fit beyond the obvious Jefferson and United States.

Fletcher Christian and Pitcairn loosely fit, if you consider Pitcairn a nation, which it essentially was.

Richard Brothers fits better, although there would be debate if the country was Israel or Britain.

The Puritans don't quite fit, because they never claimed a country per se. Plantations and Colonies yes, country, no.

How about Dr. Joseph Jeffers and "Yahweh's New Kingdom?" Worth a good read here:

Anglo-Israelites Exhibit

Ethelbert, King of Kent could fit as well, actually better than Jefferson, since the government of the U.S. or the Confederation weren't the same as H & H had.

BTW, "being led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night" sure sounds like a burning oil well. Perhaps more appropriate a symbol than you might have intended?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Interesting, because there may be more than one fit beyond the obvious Jefferson and United States.

Fletcher Christian and Pitcairn loosely fit, if you consider Pitcairn a nation, which it essentially was.

Richard Brothers fits better, although there would be debate if the country was Israel or Britain.

The Puritans don't quite fit, because they never claimed a country per se. Plantations and Colonies yes, country, no.

How about Dr. Joseph Jeffers and "Yahweh's New Kingdom?" Worth a good read here:

Anglo-Israelites Exhibit

Ethelbert, King of Kent could fit as well, actually better than Jefferson, since the government of the U.S. or the Confederation weren't the same as H & H had.

BTW, "being led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night" sure sounds like a burning oil well. Perhaps more appropriate a symbol than you might have intended?
Harry... You WIN!! Thomas Jefferson...I read this along time ago and just came across the same fact just the other day in a new book...
Now it's your turn.....

Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I think Benjamin Franklin did something with the Exodus out of Egypt, but I have no idea about the Saxon chiefs, so I am going to guess. Benjamin Franklin is my final answer.
Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the National bird...he, too,did not get his plan through!!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the National bird...he, too,did not get his plan through!!
This is true, he was quite prolific when it come to thinking up stuff as we all know. I believe I read somewhere that he did submit an idea for the seal or was part of the committee.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"Harry... You WIN!! Thomas Jefferson...I read this along time ago and just came across the same fact just the other day in a new book...
Now it's your turn....."

Hmmm, OK.

What did the first casualty of the American Revolution and the first casualty of the American Civil War have in common, other than being killed?

If it is a hint, their names are Crispus Attucks and Shepherd Hayward.

Bonus point, what was the pragmatic motivation of Lincoln's famous response to Horace Greeley; "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it."

Hint - if you were a Hunter, you wouldn't appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History