Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Ike sent airborne troops to AR to enforce a federal court order in September, 1957. I doubt that anyone in the whole state missed it when it happened.
If so, my parents never talked about it.

Anyway, my dad went to Officer Training School in the AF. He was not drafted, he enlisted and then went from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Good grief, y'all, it's NORMAN Rockwell! LOL But we get the picture, no pun intended.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:08 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I was born in 1958. I had a friend a few years older than me who could remember a rock being thrown through the picture window of his living room when his family moved to a new neighborhood. His father was white and his mother was Korean.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Wow that’s dramatic. I came back from two years in SE Asia during the Vietnam War with an Asian bride. Nothing like what you described happened to us but nonetheless some people were hostile to interracial marriages in a subdued way.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:15 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Ike sent airborne troops to AR to enforce a federal court order in September, 1957. I doubt that anyone in the whole state missed it when it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If so, my parents never talked about it.
This is the crux of discussions about the different ways in which the 50's were perceived by different demographic groups. Some have the luxury of glossing over the turmoil of the era, and remembering it in positive terms, waxing nostalgic about the time. Others don't have that luxury. This is a perfect example.

https://www.eisenhowerlibrary.gov/re...gration-crisis
Quote:
On May 17, 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education that segregated schools are "inherently unequal." In September 1957, as a result of that ruling, nine African-American students enrolled at Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. The ensuing struggle between segregationists and integrationists, the State of Arkansas and the federal government, President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus, has become known in modern American history as the "Little Rock Crisis." The crisis gained world-wide attention. When Governor Faubus ordered the Arkansas National Guard to surround Central High School to keep the nine students from entering the school, President Eisenhower ordered the 101st Airborne Division into Little Rock to insure the safety of the "Little Rock Nine" and that the rulings of the Supreme Court were upheld
Worldwide attention, yet some parents living there never mentioned it to their kids. And that type of selective memory wasn't unique to Arkansas.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:06 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,511,188 times
In the segregated south, race defined your place in society, where you worked, what you were paid, where you could shop, where you could eat, where you could use a toilet, where you could be educated and even where you were buried. Asians were not considered white, nor black. Thus in a few Jewish cemeteries in the south, there are tombstones with Chinese writing. The powers that be thought that the Asians should be buried with the Jews...go figure, it's a world that has thankfully changed.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:11 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
The kind of racial discrimination discussed in these posts just didn’t happen in the 50’s. In the mid 60’s I was stationed at a military base in Southern Georgia. The US military was desegregated in 1947. Outside of our base the nearest town was totally segregated. People I served with and some who were black Vietnam veterans could only rent in black areas of town. There were white only restaurants, hotels, bars and other places.

Old 06-04-2023, 02:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
I turned 18 in 1952. They were shooting real bullets in Korea. If you were male and could pass a physical, you would be drafted. No business would hire you, because about the time you became proficient at your job your draft notice would appear in your mail box. Far fewer people went to college back then.

No nostalgia here.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Wow that’s dramatic. I came back from two years in SE Asia during the Vietnam War with an Asian bride. Nothing like what you described happened to us but nonetheless some people were hostile to interracial marriages in a subdued way.
My sister (white) has been with her husband (black) since around 1975. She has seen a huge difference in the way people used to be compared to now. They could hardly walk through a mall or go into a restaurant without being stared at back then. Now nobody gives them a second glance, because there are so many different types of interracial couples.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The kind of racial discrimination discussed in these posts just didn’t happen in the 50’s. In the mid 60’s I was stationed at a military base in Southern Georgia. The US military was desegregated in 1947. Outside of our base the nearest town was totally segregated. People I served with and some who were black Vietnam veterans could only rent in black areas of town. There were white only restaurants, hotels, bars and other places.
Yup, watch the movie The Green Book, which is about exactly that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History