Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

How many Blacks in the South owned white slaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:48 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I think many more blacks were capable of slave owning. It was common when you read letters that slaves wrote to one another. They always requested for a relative to buy them out of slavery. Some blacks bought themselves and their family’s freedom. One slave saved around $20,000 to do this. So technically they could have just as easily invested in slaves which would have been a wise business decision.

(Yes quite a few could read and write. the law forbidding teaching a slave to read or write was passed in the 1840’s after the "Walker Appeal")

Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Their were quite a few black slave owners that were in it for the money too, and some of them were very wealthy and known to be more cruel than the worst of the white slave owners. Some of them hired slave catchers to bring back escaped slaves, whipped their slaves, supported the confederate cause in the war every way they could. Not saying this was the norm, but of the free slaves in the south, more of them owned slaves as a percentage of their numbers than whites, especially New Orleans. I've read from various links about some of the black slave owners, heres an interesting one, kind of shocking to read but a part of the history of american slavery none the less.

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Well, if there were white slaves this changes my whole idea of history. I think us whites should be entitled to something, MY ANCESTORS WERE TREATED LIKE THIS!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,790 times
(MOD CUT)

Blacks indeed owned slaves. Blacks have perpetuated slavery, they are doing it right now in other countries. Slavery still exists today but all we hear about is what happened a long time ago in this Country. See, this is all financial.

Blacks don't want equality. They never did. They are against "separate but equal" because they stand for "separate but better." They will always want special treatment because they are special....especially disconnected that is.

Last edited by Thyra; 05-08-2010 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Racist remark.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Ssshhhh. Quiet. Don't ever talk about negative things that blacks do. They have a lifetime pass to do whatever they want....except in certain places where they are not welcome. (And yes, there are places where whites are not welcome but recognising this would be speaking about reality and not pandering to the "poor me black" attitude.)

Blacks indeed owned slaves. Blacks have perpetuated slavery, they are doing it right now in other countries. Slavery still exists today but all we hear about is what happened a long time ago in this Country. See, this is all financial.

Blacks don't want equality. They never did. They are against "separate but equal" because they stand for "separate but better." They will always want special treatment because they are special....especially disconnected that is.
I wondered how long it would take before a history thread would melt down into current racial commentary. Maybe there's a thread in the Automotive forum on "Black" cars you can visit also.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,990 times
I find this thread to be very racist. I don't believe it belongs in "History" and perhaps not on CD at all.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM

The problem with discussing slavery is everybody wants to look back into history and place current values on slave owning. At one time it was considered a sin to loan money. Trust me, one day people will talk about how barbaric we are because companies ask men and women to go into an underground "bomb" or get blown up on an oil rig so we can drive escalades and have cold air in our home in the summer.

The problems with labor today in America are very similar to the economics of plantation life. for the planter and the slave. How easy was it to walk off a plantation? Pretty easy, in fact it is just as easy for a coal miner to walk off the job today. The slave lived where the only way to make a living is on a plantation. It is the same thing for an Auto worker, oil field worker and coal miner. You can quit working for one coal mine a go to work in another. There are many excellent books on slave economics.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
How many Blacks in the South owned white slaves?
About 10%-12% of slave owners were blacks.

Also rarely discussed is pre-Civil War free black villages and towns in the South. They were anywhere from 80 to 2,000 people in size.

And yes, the Amerindian slave thing is also rarely discussed. The French at Fort Detroit had to mediate a peace agreement between the various Amerindian tribes in the Great Lakes Region between the constant wars between the tribes over slaves was interferring with everything.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And yes, the Amerindian slave thing is also rarely discussed. The French at Fort Detroit had to mediate a peace agreement between the various Amerindian tribes in the Great Lakes Region between the constant wars between the tribes over slaves was interferring with everything.
Who were the slaves in these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History