Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think was the best decade in America?
Before 1910's and Before 18 5.47%
1920's 17 5.17%
1930's 6 1.82%
1940's 9 2.74%
1950's 94 28.57%
1960's 46 13.98%
1970's 21 6.38%
1980's 41 12.46%
1990's 66 20.06%
2000's 11 3.34%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM

829 posts, read 2,956,399 times

Advertisements

well lets get even closer...how about not decade but what year...for example the above said the 50s...what year in the 50s? 1954, 1956, etc...?

Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,392 times
I had to vote for the 1930s because of my Grandmother. Along with her family, she had to leave her farm in Missouri and go to California. My grandfather had just been discharged from the Army and was riding freight trains from town to town. I think he married my grandma in about 1936. Anyways, they pretty much spent the next thirty years as traveling workers picking crops in different areas in different seasons. They eventually "retired" in Alaska in about 1964.

I think that the 1930s showed how happy you could be with so little, and it taught people to be frugal and thrifty. My grandmother never wanted much, so she was always happy. And I remember the food she used to cook for me in an iron skillet right from the Depression years. Burgers, pancakes, fried potatoes, and gravy. So simple but so tasty.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
The 50s are winning in the poll, with the 90s in second. The babyboomers are the largest demographic in the nation followed by the millenial generation. Funny how that correlates with the adolescent years of both gererations being in the 50s and 90's respectively. Generation x is the next largest group and the 80s (thier adolescent years is 3rd) This is a meaningless poll, everyone is going to say the "good ole days" were when you were young. If your a boomer its gonna be late 50s into the 60s, if your an xer its gonna be in the 70's or 80s and if your a millenial its gonna be 90's or early 00's. This poll would have more meaning if it excluded everything after 1950.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM

606 posts, read 1,235,109 times
No I did not live in the era of the 50's I am more of an 80's child. But I will go with what my parents told me in the past when I would ask them what it was like when they were young. Also I am going by this from what I have read. The fifties seemed like a time when family was really close and the economy was great, great entertainment TV (more wholesome) and the music was not as bad as it is today. It was much safer back then too(from what I was told). Everything seemed more peaceful then from what I was told. The only down fall to the 50's that I can think of is how women were not treated like they are more or less today. I think that we women have a bit more rights today. One thing that was AWFUL in the 50's and before was segregation, that was AWFUL and an unnecessary part of history!
Anyway, take away the segregation part, the fifties seems like it was the best decade!
If anyone here was a child of the 50's and I am wrong about any of this please correct me, thanks

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I was around in the 50s, and it was a great time to be a white male heterosexual.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Sure America is free......

Except for the fact that we have stricter, and more laws than most other countries.

We have one of the highest incarceration rates of out citizens in the whole world.

Regulations and rules on almost everything.

Tons of taxes.

Government surveilance.

Seriously. When people say we have "freedom". What are they even talking about?

Freedom of speech? There must be 100 other countries out there also have this.

Where is this freedom?

You need to lok at the camera system in the UK and look at even the limited speech in most of europe. lets face it once you become dependent on government ;you loose alot of choices which is fredom. The politcal system become like a parent.many of the eropean countries basically turned to this after WWII when they had people that had lived in a class system for centruies and the opportunities were poor. I remmeber when i was young the soldiers that were station in england for the D day invasion saying that they were paid alot more money than the british and the british officers were overbearing with thier enlisted men and never socialized with them. That is why the americans were called over paid;oversexed by the british soldiers.Just look at teh offial secrets act in the UK that keep so many thigns poermanent hidden.Look at the taxes and watch threads that middle class incomje can never get on what they call the latter to own a home its so expensive and they are taxed so heavily.Loom at the numbers living in council hosaing which is what we call the projects. hey have healthcare but evryone that works is heaily taxed to pay for it which reduces spendablr income and raises proces. Evrythig is taxed and the last time I knew its was like almost $5.00 road usage to eneter london daily if you live oputside the city. They have the VAT ;I actually know some that have people here send them things at christmas that they gave them the meny for as preasents( not taxed) because of the higher cost from taxes.The unemployemnt rate in eureop is 25% in noraml times for those under 30. We draw a large number here of euroepan college educated because of the opportunites and the fact that they are not taxed into teh lower class.The only ones who make out are those who don't want to work and they have a problem with other common wealth citizens moving there and living off the system.The french prsident not long ago said they have a system that discouages work and one of their top governamnt econmist says that the presnt 10% unemployment would be consder good times in france. It just depends if you want to live off others or think you can do better on your won which you like. Bt even we are more and mroe of a problem with people who want to live offf the system and become a burden rather tahn a asset.Personally 'I'll take the self reliaent system and the fredoms of choice and lack of dependeency it brings. Other owld rather live at teh bottom of teh llatter ;as the british say;and no reponsibilty for themslefs. iI had that when I was in the servcie and hated the dependency;and contol over my life.

Last edited by texdav; 11-07-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 11:02 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I was around in the 50s, and it was a great time to be a white male heterosexual.
well than I would love to live back than. Now is a great time to be anything other than a white male heterosexual.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,103 times
1790's, when the republic was young and full of potential.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,884 times
I voted the 1930s. Yes, the 1930s. Why? Because in that decade we faced a great challange, and we overcame it in admirable ways. Think of all the public works programs that started in the 1930s, building roads, rails, bridges, and dams of which many are still in use today, which opened up new possibilities for millions of people with newly irrigated land, transportation links, and jobs. Not to mention the social progress that was made with programs like Social Security. Also, the values learned through growing up in hard time is what created the heroes of the 40s and the hard workers of the 50s growth, and 60s-80s political and economic leadership. The 30s might have been a difficult decade to live through, but the way in which we responded to it makes it the greatest American decade of the 20th century.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 AM

341 posts, read 679,214 times
The decade before the first Europeans arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History