Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The documentation on my Salzburgers actually goes back a little further, into the late seventeenth century. The people who arrived in the 1730s were born in the late 1600s, and their parents and grandparents are known in many cases, including where the parents and grandparents came from. I have a sneaking suspicion that they managed to save a lot of family Bibles, and they surely would have known who their immediate ancestors were and where they came from.

I suspect that it would be possible to find them in records from prior to Martin Luther and the Expulsion.

And my group came in some of the later groups of arrivals, in 1735 and later.

And I am very glad they managed to avoid the stake!
-------

Suzy

Those records previous to the Reformation are probably intact in Salzburg. Probably they are in the Episcopal Archive or the City's Archive. Problem is that I doubt they have digitalized everything they have, so it will be difficult to access the information, I don't know.

To tell you the truth, it's quite dificult to deal with church records that old because you must know the exact parish (there are tons of them), the exact place, they were probably were born in a little village or bourg that does not exists anymore, etc.

If you are interested, you will probably have to travel there, or ask the person in charge, sometimes they help you, sometimes they don't.

As to preserve family bibles with the names of ancestors, quite dangerous in those times...

I bet you can write to them from Internet, but you must know your original last name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón;
1839466The elder inherited the property and title, the second joined the army or the church, and the third....to search fortune in the Americas...

The same happened elsewhere, so propably there are more descendants of the nobility and lesser nobility in some parts of America that in Europe.

And don't forget that most of the nobility were poor as rats, that's why they married bourgeois and went to the Americas.
I've seen very little evidence of that here in Virginia at least. Even the FFVs such as the Lees, Washingtons, Custises and Randolphs were generally descended from the mercantile class. If they were descended from nobility they were very minor, not peers. The vast majority arrived here as indentured servants or petty land owners. This may be one reason there were so few tories here during the revolution.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Unfortunately, I am only able to trace my roots back to my great grandparents on my dad's side and my great great grandparents on my mother's side. My father's family was always very poor and therefore they didn't really keep records of anything except whatever finances they had.

I do know a lot of interesting stuff about my family, however there have been roomers that I may be African-American through my mother, and I'd like to know if that is true. I think I may get a genetics test done.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:17 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

I was talking about the dissolution of 1530, not about your civil war in the 17th Century (we also had a civil war here at that time for similar causes).

During the reign of Henry VIII, I believe there civil wars in which Catholics tried to restore their religion. The Armada was also backed by many English Catholics, and the supporters of that queen that was beheaded, Mary Stewart.
There are a couple of different things here.

First, there was no religious civil war in 16th century England with a view to restoring catholicism. There was a rebellion in the north-east under the reign of Elizabeth I but that did not last long. One of the primary reasons for this was the nature of the reformation in England which replaced the papacy with the Crown (Henry VIII) but did not change very much else. The dissolution of the monasteries was not civil war. It was much more about Henry VIII needing the money that was locked up in them and there was never any serious resistance to this. Nevertheless, it was an act of vandalism given the artifacts and records which were destroyed and this is one of the main reasons why it would be difficult to trace ancestors pre-1540.

The Armada happened under the reign of Elizabeth I and while it may have been backed by some English catholics, it was destroyed without landing any Spanish troops and there was no popular uprising in England in support of it. After the Armada there was no further attempt by Spain to intervene in England.

Mary Stewart was queen of Scotland and not England. At the time Scotland was undergoing its own reformation which was Calvinist in nature rather than anglo-catholic as was the case in England. The politics of the execution of Mary are complex and more to do with the threat she posed to Elizabeth at the political level rather than the religious threat she posed. In fact she was unable to prevent a more radical reformation in Scotland so it is unlikely that she could turned back the clock in England either. While she had a weaker claim to the English throne than Elizabeth, her son James did eventually succeed Elizabeth uniting the Crowns of Scotland and England.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 AM

I was not talking about Elizabeth, I'm talking about uprisings and wars during the Henry VIII. There were civil wars during Henry VIII, Catholics againts Henry VIII

The Armada did to attempt to intervene or occupy England, the purpose was just to remove Elizabeth I. She was a source of piracy and instability to the region, just as Turks and Berberiscs.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've seen very little evidence of that here in Virginia at least. Even the FFVs such as the Lees, Washingtons, Custises and Randolphs were generally descended from the mercantile class. If they were descended from nobility they were very minor, not peers. The vast majority arrived here as indentured servants or petty land owners. This may be one reason there were so few tories here during the revolution.
----

You can bet that a large number of them came from the lesser nobility, and I bet there were a lot of bastards of the nobility (not an insult at that time in that sense). Of course, they might be from the lesser nobility, but they did not have money and NO TITLE.

Not much use for flaunting your blue blood in a calvinist colony...

So when they arrived to America, they were classed as commoners. A different thing in Spanish America, most conquistadores were from the lesser nobility, such as Cortez and Pizarro, I think that Cortez was a bastard from a rather important family (He studied at the University, could read and write, etc). Pizarro was his cousin as was a "Hidalgo", the lowest category in nobility.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
I was actually able to trace my maternal grandmother's line (Prater) to lower nobility in the 15th Century. The other three lines to the late 18th or early 19th.

Had one ancestor in the American pioneer era who married his 12 year old niece and lived right next to her parents. Things were a bit different back then.

The wife said she always suspected their was some inbreeding in my ancestry.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I was not talking about Elizabeth, I'm talking about uprisings and wars during the Henry VIII. There were civil wars during Henry VIII, Catholics againts Henry VIII

The Armada did to attempt to intervene or occupy England, the purpose was just to remove Elizabeth I. She was a source of piracy and instability to the region, just as Turks and Berberiscs.
There was no civil war during the reign of Henry VIII. The only uprising of any importance was the Pilgrimage of Grace. However, there was no fighting associated with this and it petered out. Perhaps you can provide some detail as to which wars and uprisings you are alluding to.

The Armada was intended to transport an army under the Duke of Parma to England. It was beaten at Gravelines by the Royal Navy and then, in trying to escape, encountered severe weather which finished it as a fighting force. The Spanish were never again able to challenge the supremacy of the Royal Navy.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
[quote=Manolón;21873120Not much use for flaunting your blue blood in a calvinist colony....[/quote]

There weren't calvinists of any significance in Virginia. Those folks lived in parts further North. Colonial Virginians were mostly Church of England, and some Presbyterians, along with a few Huguenots and some German lutherans out in the Western counties.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There was no civil war during the reign of Henry VIII. The only uprising of any importance was the Pilgrimage of Grace. However, there was no fighting associated with this and it petered out. Perhaps you can provide some detail as to which wars and uprisings you are alluding to.

The Armada was intended to transport an army under the Duke of Parma to England. It was beaten at Gravelines by the Royal Navy and then, in trying to escape, encountered severe weather which finished it as a fighting force. The Spanish were never again able to challenge the supremacy of the Royal Navy.
---Not really, as I understand they sufferent a extreme bad weather that sent the ships to diverse corners, and the action of English ships was insignificant. By the way, there was no Royal Navy at that time but chaptered pirates and corsaires since England was just a harbour for chartered pirates, just like Argel.

Last edited by Manolón; 11-27-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History