Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Semantics. I suppose you could argue in circles and split hairs all day. It would be a discovery to you, if you have never been to a region or continent. But since you live in CA and then step outdoors, the use of the word "discovered" would no longer be accurate.
It is not semantics, it is you using the word incorrectly. It would be a discovery if you had never been on the continent, but by definition, the indigenous originated on the continent. No circles, no split hairs, just correct usage or incorrect usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
or the irish monks in the 800s ad or the vikings about the same time?

and they say there were chinese expeditions. could have been any before Chris Colum

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
or the irish monks in the 800s ad or the vikings about the same time?

and they say there were chinese expeditions. could have been any before Chris Colum
I'll leave it up to you to decide if the Brendan tale meant North America.
Probably not. Brendan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, Chinese historians severely criticize the 1421 hypothesis of Menzies.
It is drivel. His next book was titled, 1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance. Now, if you believe that, you'll believe anything.
Regarding the Vikings, go look at a globe. the distances from Norse lands to Iceland,
Greenland, and from Greenland to Newfoundland are small. Much smaller distances
than had been already sailed for hundreds of years. The distance from Greenland
to Newfoundland is about the same as France to Algeria. I wouldn't laud it as
an accomplishment very much.
On the other hand, Columbus sailed across the whole Atlantic, a distance 7 times
greater than the Vikings ever did.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I remember the 1421 book well. Interesting fairy tale. The dots the author connected seemed to be pills of LSD.

When it came down to it, the author's "evidence" didn't exist and he even outright lied.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
I considering who "discovered" America , one needs to consider did this "discovery" lead to sustained occupation, conquest or settlement. In the case of Christopher Columbus or John Cabot it did. In the case of earlier explorers Vikings it did not. In fact they were so sucessful that far more people speak English, Spanish or Prtuguese in the Americas than in the "home" countries Britain, Spain or Portugal and about half of the world's Catholics live in the Americas!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post

Watch PBS for their revolving show on how the Americas were first discovered by the Chinese when they traveled down through the Aluetions that connectec the 2 continents 1000's of years ago.
I already made a thread on this. Some posters said is not possible because of currents or wind patterns. Still researching into that.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I'll leave it up to you to decide if the Brendan tale meant North America.
Probably not. Brendan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, Chinese historians severely criticize the 1421 hypothesis of Menzies.
It is drivel. His next book was titled, 1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance. Now, if you believe that, you'll believe anything.
Regarding the Vikings, go look at a globe. the distances from Norse lands to Iceland,
Greenland, and from Greenland to Newfoundland are small. Much smaller distances
than had been already sailed for hundreds of years. The distance from Greenland
to Newfoundland is about the same as France to Algeria. I wouldn't laud it as
an accomplishment very much.
On the other hand, Columbus sailed across the whole Atlantic, a distance 7 times
greater than the Vikings ever did.
yeh in my thread I had mentioned the distance between the island for the Vikings, and the Chinese. Actually, on a map the seas between Norway, Faroe, Iceland, Greenland, Labrador look abso-friggin lutely tremendous. But if you look at the distance between China, Japan, Kuril Islands, Kamchatka, Komondoskiye, Aleutian, all the way up to Anchorage, the spaces are much smaller.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
It doesn't really matter which ships arrived first, those of Columbus or the Chinese, because the Native American Indians were already in America. For any country or group of people to claim that they "discovered" America is a distortion of history.
Hard to discover something that is already known and occupied, ain't it.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But if you look at the distance between China, Japan, Kuril Islands, Kamchatka, Komondoskiye, Aleutian, all the way up to Anchorage, the spaces are much smaller.
Something that the proto-Americans found sufficient to traverse thousands of years (depending on which date you want to believe - either 40,000 or 16,000 years ago) before the Chinese ever thought of themselves as Chinese much less having established a organized dynastic society. But hey...

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
This I am absolutely certain of. It was someone of African decent that discovered all the lands of the world! And we can call them all of our grand parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History