Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Alex Issonnis (sp) the father of the orginal Mini car is also English of Greek background (born in a British protectorate in the old Ottoman Empire).
You can even be a Nordic Greek with an Hispanic surname who lives in Argentina, and you're still White.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Greeks are white
In Europe Greeks would not be considered white. Not that it really makes any difference since all of Europe is multi-cultural and intermixed, but no, greeks would absolutely not be considered white/caucasian.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
In Europe Greeks would not be considered white. Not that it really makes any difference since all of Europe is multi-cultural and intermixed, but no, greeks would absolutely not be considered white/caucasian.
I am European and have lived all over Europe and Greeks have always to my knowledge been considered just as white as a French, Italian or British person.
Not that the question really arises very often. You don't hear people pondering racial "affiliations" and roots very often about most European groups, apart from maybe the Basque, Lapps, Finns.

I have never heard anything to the contrary in my 40 year life. As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I would also be extremely surprised if any recognised academics disagreed with this.

Migration patterns and anthropological physiological and cultural assessments firmly put Greek people in the White/Caucasian race.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,634 times
Quote:
Greeks, Italians, French, German, Scandinavians and Middle Easterners are all considered white. Granted, they all derive from different cultures, nevertheless, they are all White people. Simply because a Greek, Italian, or any other white person's skin tans when exposed to the sun, does not change their race from white to black.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Quote:
Again, though some might be rather dark complected, there are some very light skinned Greeks.
According to you then, Italians, Spanish and Portugese are not white either.......

Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am European and have lived all over Europe and Greeks have always to my knowledge been considered just as white as a French, Italian or British person.
Not that the question really arises very often. You don't hear people pondering racial "affiliations" and roots very often about most European groups, apart from maybe the Basque, Lapps, Finns.

I have never heard anything to the contrary in my 40 year life. As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I would also be extremely surprised if any recognised academics disagreed with this.

Migration patterns and anthropological physiological and cultural assessments firmly put Greek people in the White/Caucasian race.
You cannot include the Finns in this exclusive group without also including the Hungarians. Since they have related languages, neither of which is Indo-European, they likely came from the same region in Mongolia. In fact, according the the Hungarian 'creation' story, they are the same people traveling from the East who split into two branches when their leader died. Half followed one son to the north, the other half followed the other son, ending up in what is now Hungary. We have a number of Huns who have married into my blue-eyed, tow-headed, fair-skinned Celtic family. They like to check 'Other' when asked for ethnicity, but if pressed, most consider themselves Asian.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
You cannot include the Finns in this exclusive group without also including the Hungarians. Since they have related languages, neither of which is Indo-European, they likely came from the same region in Mongolia. In fact, according the the Hungarian 'creation' story, they are the same people traveling from the East who split into two branches when their leader died. Half followed one son to the north, the other half followed the other son, ending up in what is now Hungary. We have a number of Huns who have married into my blue-eyed, tow-headed, fair-skinned Celtic family. They like to check 'Other' when asked for ethnicity, but if pressed, most consider themselves Asian.
Absolutely, I really meant Finno-Hungarian when I mentioned the Finns. Fascinating topic , especially the linguistics aspect of it which still baffles academics to this day.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
She is of Greek decent and she is hot......what more needs to be said? And Anniston isn't too bad either...........

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,650 times
Let's make it simple: Do Greeks live in neighborhoods with graffiti and barred windows? If not, they're probably White (or Northern Asian, though the lack of epicanthic folds suggests not).

Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

In what way are you referring to the term 'white'? Description of skin color, or actual ethnicity?
I'm referring to ethnicity, not skin pigmentation. I am surprised that you term Greeks as white. My whole life I have been taught to consider people from the mediterranean and iberian peninsula (greeks, italians, and spaniards) to be from latin ethnicity although many of these nations had substantial intermarriage between different groups (non-latins). For example, Spaniards has a lot of intermarriage with the moors/arabs but are still considered latin.
There has been claims that modern day Greeks have very little ancestry left from actual ancient Greeks but are mainly of Rhomioi descent (Roman).

"While the majority of Greeks today are descended from Greek speaking Rhomioi (roman/latin) there are some groups of ethnic Greeks who trace their descent to Aromanian-speaking Vlachs, Albanian-speaking Arvanites and Slavic-speaking Greeks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.