Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 08:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Maybe the best time/place ever was Nepal in the early 20-th century, when it was still shut off from the western world, and was a close approximation to Shangri-la. But a certain amount of technology was known, to add some ease and comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Holy Moses!!! I would have hated to live in the 1950's ... give me an era to live in where, as a middle class woman, I have choices!
As hard as it is to believe now, a middle class woman in 1950s America (and Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Sweden ) would have had FAR more choices than a middle class woman anywhere else. That's why Simone de Beauvoir, the founder of modern feminism, in her book "The Second Sex", written in the early 1950s, devoted a chapter to dispelling the myth common in France that American (white) women in the 1950s had equal rights. They obviously didn't, but by comparison to most of the world it seemed like they did.

And whoever said that being gay in the 1950s would have been better because of the lack of AIDS really doesn't know that they're talking about. Being gay in the 1950s would have been about as "fun" as being black in 1950s Mississippi, and being black and gay would have been a NIGHTMARE.
Greenwich Village in NYC was the only place in the entire US where homosexuality was acceptable, even in San Francisco and Los Angeles which already had sizeable gay scenes, gays were persecuted and arrested. Homosexuality was illegal everywhere in the US, and gays were often confined to mental hospitals and lobotomized to "cure" their homosexuality.

If you were a white heterosexual male, it would have been a great time ; otherwise, no. But certainly being a middle class woman in America or a similar country would've been preferable to being a middle class woman in France, let alone Italy or still-fascist Spain. Not to mention it would have been preferable to being female in Africa, the Middle East, or Latin America. This isn't to say that it would've been all that great (unless said woman was wealthy and/or a celebrity)

Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 AM

18 posts, read 50,406 times
french coast after charlemagne's reign. real good times. hang out by the beach and wait for those party animals in the long dragon boats to show up.even better i'm scandinavian so maybe i could've been on the boat awesome times.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
In my life time the worse was the 65-70 period of the vietnam war. The best the 50's thru early 60's when I grewup.I know that having the parents go thru WWI ;then thier going thru the great depression;then WWII that my parents thought evrything was easy and grand during that time.Everybody was always saying howe luicky we were altho looking back they worked harder and had nothing near the free time we do now.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Probably the most exciting time has been in California from the mid 60s to the early 70s , a lot of young people could enjoy at the same time new and more free lifestyles and the richness , the outcomes , (I mean the schools , the needs of evreyday , great hospitals and so on...) of a generation of hard workin' Americans , their parents.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
That depends on you view of waht was best and worse. Then I really doubt anyoine that didn't live then can judge. I thnikt aht the early 60's were the best I remmebr but also the 50's were good when i was a kid. Certainly not as easy to live as now but much more peaceful and safer IMO. Thatmeant alot growing up.Financial wise people have alot more now but seem less satisfied with there lfes overall.As afr as timne i didn;t live it hard to say really ;certainly form reading their were many times in whcih people were worked to death and starving the major concern in most of the world.Things haven't changed that much in some parts of the world it seems.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,339 times
We are living in the best times ever in the history of mankind.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
We are living in the best times ever in the history of mankind.
I wouldn't agree, although clearly compared to the vast majority of human history our times do seem fabulously great.

The best time in human history would've been the 2nd half of the 20th century in North America, Western Europe (except for 1950s-early '70s Spain and Portugal), and the Antipodes. Certain South American countries would've made this list in the 1950s-60s, and Japan would have made this list from the mid 1960s on. Spain and Portugal would have made this list from the 1970s on.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Obviously location, socio-econimic status, ethnicity, gender etc would be a factor.
I am talking about other times aside from the present. I like the present best, as most probably do.

Some of the times which interest me:
The Revolutionary War in America was violent, grinding and tumultuous, but its purpose was exciting and meaningful. Inventing a new country is no small thing. On a much more superficial note, the fashion looks somewhat uncomfortable but those tricorner hats always appealed to me, and as for the ladies, those little white caps and big hair are intriguing.
The Gilded Age (approx. 1875-1900) would have been a great time to be a rich white guy (which I certainly am not.) Business was <mostly> booming and many were unapologetically fat and happy.
World War II was another horror story but again there was collective determination on both sides (being a Yank, I favor the Allies) and being a patriot really meant something. Again, there was the coolest music and fashions. Swing music! Love the ladies' shoes and the mens' mustaches.

For the worst times, the Dark Ages, what with the plague, the feudal system and the constant fighting, seemed quite grim and stressful no matter whether you were a serf, clergy or the nobility.

And I would not want to be either an indigenous person or a bison during Manifest Destiny.

What are your choices or rejections?
If you mean to go back and be "stuck" for the rest of your life, the 40s/50s are about the only other time that would interest me - the others would not due largely to the lack of medical knowledge.

If you mean to visit for a duration of my choosing and a reasonable assurance of safety (and language barriers not an issue) a million diff times in history come to mind.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
The worst by far is slavery. For Africans to be decimated, subjugated, and treated like that is easily the greatest human tragedy in the history of this planet. The human beings were treated like animals, separated from their families and homes and homeland, forced to be slaves or die. The people who perpetuated slavery are easily the most ignorant, vile, and barbaric in history.

Best time is right now with Obama as president. The current time is almost always the best time given the benefit of hindsight. Of course the exception was the time under Bush where the country was taken back to the Dark Ages. The latest period of enlightenment is upon us after great clarity that Republicans and Conservatives are frauds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History