U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 AM

860 posts, read 1,844,383 times

Advertisements

And here is one reason why Hitler killed himself and ordered his body torched and destroyed when he learned of Mussolini's fate. Here Il Duce hangs upside down after being shot and beat.

"On 29 April 1945, the bodies of Mussolini, Petacci, and the other executed Fascists were loaded into a moving van and trucked south to Milan. There, at 3 a.m., they were dumped on the ground in the old Piazza Loreto. The piazza had been renamed "Piazza Quindici Martiri" in honor of 15 anti-Fascists recently executed there.

After being shot, kicked, and spat upon, the bodies were hung upside down on meathooks from the roof of a gas station. The bodies were then stoned by civilians from below. This was done both to discourage any Fascists from continuing the fight and as an act of revenge for the hanging of many partisans in the same place by Axis authorities. The corpse of the deposed leader became subject to ridicule and abuse. Fascist loyalist Achille Starace was captured and sentenced to death and then taken to the Piazzale Loreto and shown the body of Mussolini. Starace, who once said of Mussolini "He is a God",saluted what was left of his leader just before he was shot. The body of Starace was subsequently strung up next to the body of Mussolini." (Wikipedia)

Il Duce and Der Führer in a happier time.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 AM

14,131 posts, read 28,195,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
Little actually was done to change Italy other than foreign wars during his tenure.
So establishment of a national language and highway system counts as little? Here's an excerpt from an excellent work written by one of my favorite college professors on the subject. It might expand your knowledge and change your thinking a bit on this topic. I strongly recommend anyone interested in the subject get hold of a copy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=031...page&q&f=false

Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Mussolini changed Italy into a modern industrial state. He was probably more tranformative than FDR. It was unfortunate that he did side with Hitler as he would have served as a useful ally during and after the war.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:46 PM

6,456 posts, read 4,234,639 times
He made the trains run on time.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
He made the trains run on time.
That's one of the more trite, grade school level descriptions of him but unfortunately the only one the average person seems to know. Kind of like describing Lincoln as "he freed the slaves" or Washington as "he couldn't tell a lie".

Old 07-04-2010, 12:08 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,624,383 times
Those who believe that Italy made rapid industrial progress between 1922 and 1943 are welcome to cite evidence for this. To be generous I disagree it occured. The Italian army was such a mess in WWII specifically because Italian industry was as well. They could not do basic things right.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,623,198 times
The Italian army was a mess because Italian soldiers were a mess, except for some Camisa nere most were not motivated.

Their weaponry was good, very good. I've seen those nice Savoias and Fiat fighter planes, their machine-pistols, their trucks, their intendency.

No, Italy had/has a very nice weapon industry, in fact, they invented most innovations like submachine guns, etc.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:03 PM

6,456 posts, read 4,234,639 times
CAVA1990That's one of the more trite, grade school level descriptions of him but unfortunately the only one the average person seems to know. Kind of like describing Lincoln as "he freed the slaves" or Washington as "he couldn't tell a lie".

Wow. Lighten up. It was a joke.This isn't a forum for Phd dissertions on facist Italy. By the way I have an undergrad degree in history.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
CAVA1990That's one of the more trite, grade school level descriptions of him but unfortunately the only one the average person seems to know. Kind of like describing Lincoln as "he freed the slaves" or Washington as "he couldn't tell a lie".

Wow. Lighten up. It was a joke.This isn't a forum for Phd dissertions on facist Italy. By the way I have an undergrad degree in history.
I understand and apologize for the smarty pants response. I have no degree in history so you've got one up on me.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM

19,629 posts, read 23,281,678 times
I'm still chewing on my bio of Mussolini.

Who on earth would have wanted to form an alliance with this man!

He was forever changing his mind, sometimes, right in the middle of a sentence.

He'd announce some plan, they'd get started on executing his plan, then a day or week later, he'd change his mind again.

Any number of his staff, would say: Just wait, don't do anything right now!
He'll change his mind tomorrow!

Hitler was more than aware of his deficiencies, and since he employed astrologers, he probably had a chart on him from the gitgo!

A narcissistic, chest-beating, dictatorial, egomaniac Leo (who never takes advice from anyone) coupled with those change-of-mind-in-mid-sentence
Gemini placements!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or