Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
My father always tells me that he can link the downfall of America to the start of Beatlemania. Before they hit the scene in 1964 most kids had short hair, men wore a hat and suit, women wore dresses, and kids obeyed their parents. People had more respect for themselves and crime was low.

If you look at pictures of people, it seemed like most folks started to get sloppy after 1964. If you look at pictures of the Beatles themselves, you will notice their hair got longer each year and they looked rougher with each passing album cover.

Another thing that happened in 1964, the year the Beatles hit America, was more crime and a break down of the family and more racial troubles. The crime rate has gone up every year since the year 1964.. until just recently.

Once the Beatles came to America, our Country has never really recovered. It just gets worse and more sloppy each year.

The Beatles and Rock and Roll really did destroy America, agree?
Wow! That's a pretty ****ed up argument! Sounds like your dad was a good ol boy pining for the good ol days when a man was a man and no one wore no damn long hair. Does he also believe the dark ages were really the glory days too?

The beatles are the greatest rock group ever. Even country musicians have recorded numerous Beatles songs. Tell your dad to lighten up. The beatles were a phenomenon and they didn't have anything to do with anyones downfall...that's just specious logic there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Wow! That's a pretty ****ed up argument! Sounds like your dad was a good ol boy pining for the good ol days when a man was a man and no one wore no damn long hair. Does he also believe the dark ages were really the glory days too?

The beatles are the greatest rock group ever. Even country musicians have recorded numerous Beatles songs. Tell your dad to lighten up. The beatles were a phenomenon and they didn't have anything to do with anyones downfall...that's just specious logic there.
lol! Don't hold back, call it like you see it!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Don't hold back, call it like you see it!
I agree with biggunsmallbrains (what a name!), The OP's dad sounds like some old fart whinger that misses the good old days of wife in the kitchen and kids behaving because of the threat of being smacked around. My father wore a hat until the day he died. I never did. Doesn't mean I'm sloppy. Just means I don't wear a hat. What a dumb basis for deciding sloppiness.

Thank God for a little sloppiness.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
My father always tells me that he can link the downfall of America to the start of Beatlemania. Before they hit the scene in 1964 most kids had short hair, men wore a hat and suit, women wore dresses, and kids obeyed their parents. People had more respect for themselves and crime was low.

If you look at pictures of people, it seemed like most folks started to get sloppy after 1964. If you look at pictures of the Beatles themselves, you will notice their hair got longer each year and they looked rougher with each passing album cover.

Another thing that happened in 1964, the year the Beatles hit America, was more crime and a break down of the family and more racial troubles. The crime rate has gone up every year since the year 1964.. until just recently.

Once the Beatles came to America, our Country has never really recovered. It just gets worse and more sloppy each year.

The Beatles and Rock and Roll really did destroy America, agree?
Not where I lived it wasn't. And I think the Mob would disagree if they didn't kill you for asking.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are pulling our legs, right???
No not really. There was a little cottage industry built around supposed clues to Pauls unfortunate demise in 1966 in Beatles songs starting with The Sargent Pepper album and going through out the reminder of their output. As you know the song a "Day In the Life" had a line "He blew his mind out in a car, he didn't notice that the lights had changed". Other clues are in the mumbled bits at the end Strawberry Fields" and " I am the Walrus". One allegedly played backwards has John Lennon moaning "Turn me on dead man". For those of us who were Beatles fans in this period this was amusing good fun. John Lennon actually wrote a song on his "Imagine " album dising Paul McCartney and his music after the Beatles broke up due to increasing amimosity between John and Paul. Paul didn't much care for Johns politics and efforts to bring his new wife and lover into the group. In his song "How Do you Sleep", John says "Those freaks were right when they said you was dead". Paul and Yoko became friends after John's death and Paul, George and Ringo took two of Johns tapes and made them using modern recording techniques into Beatles songs "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" during the release of the 1992 Box set "The Beatles Anthology" celebrating the 30th anniversary of the groups first British No 1 hit in 1962.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
How could he do that? AFAIK, no state allowed marriage that young. Where was the wedding performed?

Why do you think it nearly destroyed his career ? There was a question as to how old the girl was at the time of the marriage. People in places like the Ozarks, or Appalachia tended to gert married young . Just after pubity. How old do you think Loretta Webb was when she married Doolitle Lynn? Would you be surprised if you knew it was 14.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Why do you think it nearly destroyed his career ? There was a question as to how old the girl was at the time of the marriage. People in places like the Ozarks, or Appalachia tended to gert married young . Just after pubity. How old do you think Loretta Webb was when she married Doolitle Lynn? Would you be surprised if you knew it was 14.
How is this an answer to my question? I finally found the answer: the marriage was performed in Louisiana, where the legal age for marriage was 13 at the time. Hard to believe any state allowed marriage at 13, I've never heard of that. I thought the youngest was 15, and even then, parental consent is required.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
No not really. There was a little cottage industry built around supposed clues to Pauls unfortunate demise in 1966 in Beatles songs starting with The Sargent Pepper album and going through out the reminder of their output. As you know the song a "Day In the Life" had a line "He blew his mind out in a car, he didn't notice that the lights had changed". Other clues are in the mumbled bits at the end Strawberry Fields" and " I am the Walrus". One allegedly played backwards has John Lennon moaning "Turn me on dead man". For those of us who were Beatles fans in this period this was amusing good fun. John Lennon actually wrote a song on his "Imagine " album dising Paul McCartney and his music after the Beatles broke up due to increasing amimosity between John and Paul. Paul didn't much care for Johns politics and efforts to bring his new wife and lover into the group. In his song "How Do you Sleep", John says "Those freaks were right when they said you was dead". Paul and Yoko became friends after John's death and Paul, George and Ringo took two of Johns tapes and made them using modern recording techniques into Beatles songs "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" during the release of the 1992 Box set "The Beatles Anthology" celebrating the 30th anniversary of the groups first British No 1 hit in 1962.

I always thought that the lyrics to "A Day in the Life" came from news stories of the day.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
How is this an answer to my question? I finally found the answer: the marriage was performed in Louisiana, where the legal age for marriage was 13 at the time. Hard to believe any state allowed marriage at 13, I've never heard of that. I thought the youngest was 15, and even then, parental consent is required.

Obviously the age of consent was dropped to 13 due to the influence of the Beatles. Prior to 1964 everyone in America was more mature and they always used good judgement.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree with biggunsmallbrains (what a name!), The OP's dad sounds like some old fart whinger that misses the good old days of wife in the kitchen and kids behaving because of the threat of being smacked around. My father wore a hat until the day he died. I never did. Doesn't mean I'm sloppy. Just means I don't wear a hat. What a dumb basis for deciding sloppiness.

Thank God for a little sloppiness.
It's funny how people talking about a past they never knew only recognize the bad things. Yes there were good things from earlier eras that would be best not having changed, and negative things that were changed for the better. So what if people who lived in a time before kids starting doing drugs actually see the bad in kids doing drugs or in being completely undisciplined. I also think the hippie look is nasty even though it was very popular when I was a kid.

Mad Men seems to do a good portrayal of the sixties and how quickly the changes came about, the Beatles were right there at the beginning of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History