Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:18 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Are you saying that Lincoln was wrong to try and prevent secession, but that the Confederate states were right to attempt it?
Absolutely, and it fits in with the intent of the founding fathers. Read Sman's and Rhett's links, Lincoln was paranoid, suspended habius corpus, made false legal arguments to sustain his position, of which the signers of the constitution would never have approved of.

http://www.apollo3.com/~jameso/secession.html

Legality of Secession

The fathers did not want an oppressive federal government, and expected the states to throw off that power should it become abusive to the state(s). The south was in the right to suceed, Buchanan was right to let them go, without going to war. If johnson was not a little sympathetic to the south, why did he veto all the reconstruction legislation ? What were his motives ?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Are you saying that Lincoln was wrong to try and prevent secession, but that the Confederate states were right to attempt it? (And Andrew Johnson was most definitely NOT a Southern sympathizer; he was a Southerner who sided with the Union--that was the cause of all his problems. Northerners and Southerners alike distrusted him).

I would say it was their RIGHT to break away from a government that didn't serve its people, was oppressive, and didn't give it proper representation...you know, like the colonies did.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
It was their right to try.

Unlike the colonies, they failed.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 AM

223 posts, read 538,012 times
Probably not. Lincoln was a POS that directly violated the Constitution. The first U.S. communist as far as I'm concerned but certainly not the last. The states had a right to peacefully seceed. We've been going downhill ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Has there ever been a more significant single decision by a President in American history?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It was their right to try.

Unlike the colonies, they failed.
So you now admit they had the right? I thought you had been arguing against that.

Anyway, they should have been left alone...just like we should let Puerto Rico do today.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So you now admit they had the right? I thought you had been arguing against that.

Anyway, they should have been left alone...just like we should let Puerto Rico do today.
No. Read carefully. There was no existing legal right to secede, nor was there an existing legal prohibition against it. In such cases, only opinions exist. The South had a right to their opinion, and they had a right to try and back that opinion with sufficient force of arms to make it stick. When they failed, the right to secede evaporated, thus it never actually existed.

Think of it on a smaller scale and you are more likely to grasp the distinctions being made. Suppose you and I signed a contract which spelled out our mutual obligations to one another regarding the sale of something. Let us say that you have paid me for the something and due to an unforseen calamity, those somethings get destroyed in the process of shipping them to you. Let us say the contract failed to include any language concerning who is responsible for losses in shipping.

Now....my claim is that once you paid, the property was yours and it was your property, not mine which was destroyed, so it is 100% your loss. You claim that the contract wasn't going to be complete until the goods were in your hands, and since they never arrived, I have to refund your money and I am 100% responsible for the loss.

Since there is no language in the contract which resolves this, how do we resolve this? I have right to try and prevail, don't I? So do you. But if the courts decide against me, then I never had the right to keep your money. If the courts decide in my favor, then you never had a right to collect from me.

See the difference?

In the absense of agreement over a right, then parties have the right to try and establish their legitmacy of claim. Failure to establish it means that the right has never been established and did not ever exist.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In the absence of agreement over a right, then parties have the right to try and establish their legitmacy of claim. Failure to establish it means that the right has never been established and did not ever exist.
I agree with the first part of this statement, but I'm not sure about the second. Failure to establish a claim means just that; it was never formally settled. Doesn't necessarily mean that it never existed.

In the case of the Confederacy, the fact that it failed in its attempt at secession means just that, and nothing more. There could conceivably be attempts at secession by states and/or regions even today. The end result would probably be the same--but we wouldn't know for sure unless it happened.

Old 12-02-2021, 02:46 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Does anyone else hope the south and mountain west will rise again to defeat the yankee limosine liberal industrialists and the left coast? I've been an major supporter of the Texas Secessionist movement. I did alot of campaigning for Larry Kilgore.
I hope the South does,at any rate. But this is an old thread and Idon't really have the time nor desre to get back into it, there are too many more important personal issues I have to deal with than re-fight this one

Secession was not treason Lincoln was a tyrant who pretty much admitted he deliberately provoked the confederacy into firing on Ft. Sumpter in order to justify an invasion of the Southern States. So with that sentiment expressed I will leave it to the rest of you to continue this dead debate ifyou like;I am no longera part of it except to add that Ft. Sumpter was an armed installation in Confederate territorial waters, manned by soldiers of a foriegn nation who had hostile intentions toward the CSA. Its presence could no more be permanently permitted than could that of English warships in the Boston Harbor during the American Revolution. Outta here for good and all! God Bless the South!

Old 12-02-2021, 06:11 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
The issue of legality or illegality of secession was settled in 1869. Read up on Texas vs. White.

This thread is closed because people are trying to inject current political issues into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History