Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times

Advertisements

Clarence Thomas
Condi Rice
General Colin Powell
Thomas Sowell
Shelby Steele
Michael Steele
JC Watts
Gen OC Davis
Ward Connerly
Lee Elder
Walter Williams
Lynn Swann
Sen. Edward Brookes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,414 times
I check out the whole thread and and I find Walter Williams on the last page. He and The Coz are not afraid to tell ya where the Bear crapped in the woods
I also admire Condi, Colin, Denzel,MLK, and Clarence Thomas

Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,015 times
Seriously ...... he's black ?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:19 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
One thing I appreciate about this forum is the brazen honesty displayed.

Obviously, the fact that this is Black History Month probably inspired the thread. Personally, I think it would be great if Black History Month were not necessary. The problem is that the topics probably wouldn't be covered as well in a regular American history curriculum... especially if the school district decision-makers held attitudes similar to some on this thread. Short of that, I wouldn't mind seeing more promotion of months for Americans of Asian, Hispanic and Native descent.

If I had to pick just one, I would say that Martin Luther King is my favorite black person in history... although Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver and Rosa Parks also come to mind right away. In more "modern" times, I respect Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice for achieving their political positions if not necessary for their political views.

References to entertainers and athletes are flippant if not also dismissive of those who have achieved more intellectual accomplishments.

Carolinajack, I am half-joking when I say that I'm surprised to see that there are that many prominent black conservatives. But then again, judging from the many posts of yours I've read, you would be more knowledgeable about that topic than most.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Oh... I also meant to say that, depending on how one interprets the Bible, some might say Jesus Christ.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,459 times
THURGOOD MARSHALL - Chief Justice of U.S. Supreme Court

On a purely whimsical note, Uncle Remus, from "Song Of The South", still occupies a warm place in my heart.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:33 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,375 times
Frederick Douglass and Cicely Tyson. Also James Earl Jones, Denzel (of course), Jackie Robinson and Maya Angelou.

It's nice that there is an MLK day, but I believe Frederick Douglass was more influential in black history than MLK and it would make more sense to have a day dedicated to him.

Our amorphous 'president's day' means nothing these days. Images of George Washington and Abraham Lincloln are used to sell sheets in 'white sales' at department stores. It should mean something or be eliminated.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Oh... I also meant to say that, depending on how one interprets the Bible, some might say Jesus Christ.
You can get killed in certain parts of this great nation for implying that. Don't you know that the lord Jesus Christ has european features.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
You can get killed in certain parts of this great nation for implying that. Don't you know that the lord Jesus Christ has european features.
Well, good thing I live where I do then. LOL Thanks for the "warning", PHM!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
yes, Tone--that is such a small list of the many who are out there, especially in business.

Robert Smalls
Booker T Washington
Randle Robinson
Armstrong Williams
Juan William's son(dont recall his name)
denzel washington
william t coleman
walter mosely
Project 21
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History