U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 02:27 PM

1,393 posts, read 991,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Seriously ...... he's black ?

I did say when it was the Jackson 5. You have to admit he was cute and not near as weird then, he showed white people they couldn't moon walk!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 PM

3,218 posts, read 8,340,150 times
Henry O. Flipper was the first black man to be admitted to West Point in the 1870s. He was born a slave in Georgia but was able to obtain education as a young man from a missionary school, and later in Atlanta. While attending West Point, none of the other cadets spoke to him and he had to live in isolation from the other cadets. He graduated from West Point and became the first black US Army officer. He served in several posts in the west. When serving as a quartermaster officer at one post, several thousand dollars somehow went missing at the post and Lt. Flipper became the accused. He was convicted in a courts martial and discharged from the army. He went on to be successful in life, and tried the rest of his life to clear his name. In 1999, President Clinton signed a full pardon to clear the record of Lt. Flipper.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 AM

157 posts, read 451,871 times
Dr. Cornel West
Author and Professor of Religion and African American Studies, formerly of Harvard, now at Princeton.

Morgan Freeman, Actor

Tiger Woods, Professional Golfer

Spike Lee, Director and Filmmaker

Last edited by desertgirl; 02-23-2007 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 AM

1,829 posts, read 3,096,713 times
Marcus Garvey
Michael Eric Dyson
Malcolm X
Maya Angelou
Harriet Tubman
Rosa Parks
My parents

Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,918,819 times
Besides a long list of celebrities, most of whom have already been named, I proudly served with some outstanding USAF officers and NCO's; Lt Col Burgan, Cpt Patrick, CMSgt Askew and MSgt Chase, to name just a few. (first names witheld to protect their privacy)

Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Apart from Martin Luther King my favourite historical black person is William Du Bois (who died one day before King's 'I Have A Dream' speech).

Du Bois was a famous civil rights activist but he is probably most famous for being the first African American to recieve a Ph.D. from Harvard University. He is a very inspirational person but the main reason he is my favourite is also because he has the same name as me. My full name is William Boyce and 'Du Bois' is one of the many variations of the name Boyce.

Boyce for the win!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,249,296 times
President Clinton...he was according to planted stories in the media the first black president.. /sarc off

Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,648,261 times
Martin Luther King sounds like a mainstream choice, but I'll tell you this. That man was nowhere near the mainstream media's portrayal!!!!!!! Nowhere near!!!!!

I read somewhere that there were Black churches that wouldn't let him preach; that's how scared people were of him! That dude was on the real, told people "this **** is real", and was virtually alone in his crusade (that's right, very few people were with him through thick and thin!).

After reading "Letter from Birminham Jail", I believe that 80% of the people who say "I marched with Dr. King" are lying though their teeth!"

Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 PM

283 posts, read 1,211,770 times
Default celebrities or pioneers ?

I vote for Dr. Charles Drew... anyone remember him?

"The storage of blood in plasma form has saved untold lives since Drew brought the process forward in the thirties, and he created the model for blood and plasma storage that is used by the Red Cross even today. His importance to modern medicine cannot be overstated."

Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,427,411 times
Don't remember him, but in 1971, as a high school student, I tutored in a school named after him and learned of him at that time.

Jackie Brown- from Jacksonville Florida. Passed away last week. She was one of the folks who made me want to stay and try to change things in Jacksonville.

Flog » Blog Archive » rest in peace, jackie brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I vote for Dr. Charles Drew... anyone remember him?

"The storage of blood in plasma form has saved untold lives since Drew brought the process forward in the thirties, and he created the model for blood and plasma storage that is used by the Red Cross even today. His importance to modern medicine cannot be overstated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or