Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,019 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1990 so I grew up in the mid and late '90s. When people talk about the '90s, they always mention technology, grunge, and hip-hop - those are more '00s things as far as I'm concerned.

Why?

Most people in America didn't have the Internet until 1997, and globally not until the early 2000s!

Grunge is as popular now as it was in 1992, if not more. Listen to any rock station.

Hip hop was a very popular type of music in the 90s - in the 2000s, it IS music.

Cell phones were around in the 90s but not needed until 2003 from my memory.

The '90s and 2000s are in some ways the same era (like the 1960s and '70s), but I'm sick of them being seen as the exact same because that's insulting to the great decade that was the '90s. The 2000s are trashy, stupid, shallow, and materialistic, the '90s had soul, wasn't all about technology, the music was great and the TV was AWESOME. My childhood wasn't much different from an '80s childhood.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,042 times
I will have to respectfully disagree with your views. The '90's and the '00's are different, but similiar. The '60's and '70's were very different. The Civil Rights demonstrators and war protests of the '60's defined that era. The '70's, we were trying to recover from the '60's, that shook us so hard. Like I've said, Watergate and 2 weak presidents didn't help. I also thought the TV then was awesome, in the '70's. When I watch one of those shows now I think, how did I watch that? An '80's childhood and a '90's childhood were very different.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM

472 posts, read 872,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I was born in 1990 so I grew up in the mid and late '90s. When people talk about the '90s, they always mention technology, grunge, and hip-hop - those are more '00s things as far as I'm concerned.

Why?

Most people in America didn't have the Internet until 1997, and globally not until the early 2000s!
That's called evolution... yet I and many Americans were using the internet in 1996... albeit at a 44kbs connection. The 90's was significant the creation of the internet... this decade is noteworthy in the expansion of it. The groundwork being made now with Web 2.0 development will carry over to an even more robust internet experience in years to come. You're seeing it already... this year's rage will be on small wi-fi laptops that utilize Linux and web apps platforms(like Google Apps, Facebook) to expand the user experience beyond your monitor screen and hard drive. As I write this I'm using a Blackberry which is also my phone and mobile office. In years to come you'll find your self downloading less and accessing more on the web in real time. Being connected will be as natural as breathing air for most.

It's called evolution.

Grunge is as popular now as it was in 1992, if not more. Listen to any rock station.
Maybe you have a Grunge station you listen too... and there may be a small revival going on, but let's face it Pearl jam isn't selling multi platnium records anymore and Flannels are not part of the JC Penny's Fall collection.

Hip hop was a very popular type of music in the 90s - in the 2000s, it IS music.

I don't see much similarity other than the genre itself... Hip Hop has evolved over the decades just as rock has.... it's not going away. If you listen to Jayzee today, it's very different than what Public Enemy or Tribe Called Quest was recording 15 years ago.

Your memory must be short... my first cellphone was a StarTac in 1996. I've been connected ever since.

The '90s and 2000s are in some ways the same era (like the 1960s and '70s), but I'm sick of them being seen as the exact same because that's insulting to the great decade that was the '90s. The 2000s are trashy, stupid, shallow, and materialistic, the '90s had soul, wasn't all about technology, the music was great and the TV was AWESOME. My childhood wasn't much different from an '80s childhood.
I think there are stark differences between the 90's and this decade... starting with Politics, two wars, a housing bubble and possibily the worst economic downturn since The Great Depression after a decade of largely considered 'peace & prosperity'. Both decades had contraversial presidents.. one popular, one not, so much. Sure there can be continiums and comparisons drawn together from both decades.... but there are also some glaring differences that seperate the two.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
An '80's childhood and a '90's childhood were very different.
Not as different as a '90s and '00s childhood.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
The 1990s and 2000s were extremely different. I was born in 1992 and things are much different now than they were in the 90s.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:04 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post

Why?

I was born in 1984, so I kind of grew up in the 90s and came of age in the 2000s, if that makes any sense. Perhaps I can shed some light....

"Most people in America didn't have the Internet until 1997, and globally not until the early 2000s!" Well, yes. But the internet now is totally different from the internet ten years ago. Remember AOL? Yeah.

Basically, the internet came out in the 90s, so there was all this hoopla surrounding it - the tech bubble. There were lots of new ideas surrounding it, but people still weren't sure what to make of it. Today, the internet, while ever-evolving, has matured. I think we, as a society, have discovered how to really use the internet in a way that we had yet to figure out in the 90s.

"Grunge is as popular now as it was in 1992, if not more. Listen to any rock station." Huh? I don't see Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in the Top 40. Even today's rock music is different - I don't hear much Nirvana in The Arcade Fire.

Also, grunge is really an early-to-mid 90s thing. It was pretty much a spent force by 1997.

You are right about hip-hop and cell phones, I think - hip-hop has spanned both decades, and until around 2002-2003 it was not necessarily assumed that everyone had a cell phone. Though they were sort of common prior to that, cell phones are really a 2000s thing.

"The '90s and 2000s are in some ways the same era (like the 1960s and '70s), but I'm sick of them being seen as the exact same because that's insulting to the great decade that was the '90s. The 2000s are trashy, stupid, shallow, and materialistic, the '90s had soul, wasn't all about technology, the music was great and the TV was AWESOME. My childhood wasn't much different from an '80s childhood."

I hate to break it to you, but everyone says this about the time in which they grew up. Your TV shows and your pop music was always better than that crap the kids are watching/listening to/whatevering nowadays. I've thought this stuff myself but, believe me, it ain't anything new .

I do agree with you that the 2000s and 90s are quite different, but for a different reason - this has been a very anxious decade. Terrorism, an unstable economy, the looming threat of global warming and an aging population. In the 90s, the economy was largely booming, and everyone was still patting themselves on the back for winning the Cold War. It was a much more optimistic time, the calm before the storm, so to speak. Now I don't think this decade's events really spell the end of Western civilization or anything, but when we look back, I think people will see the 90s, as akin to, say, the 20s and the 50s, a peaceful time of relative national contentment. This decade has been an entirely different story.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
You were born in 1990? Pardon me for expressing an opinion like this--you'll have to excuse a Neanderthal born in 1956--but you still have a few things to learn. History is one of them.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,275,661 times
The 90s and 00s are pretty different.

I was also born in 1990, just to get this out of the way first.

Grunge doesn't exist anymore. Nickelback and Hinder and 3 Doors Down are not grunge, they're just pop/rock with grungy vocals.

The 2000s, like any decade really, is just an acceleration of the 90s, and you're right, they're certainly different. But there are a lot of definite similarities. First off, there's been no major music revolution like there has been almost every decade for the last 40 years. You know, the mid/late 60s saw the evolution of rock and the death of jazz, the late 70s/early 80s saw the rise of disco and new wave, as well as punk, underground rock, and metal, while the early 90s saw grunge, "alternative" rock, rap, and hip-hop really rise while hard rock and metal pretty much died off. Some would say "emo" and "hardcore" are this music revolution, but I disagree; it's just a move towards that direction. Popular music has remained pretty stagnant.

Most people just see technology in the 00s as an evolution of the 90s technology. You know, personal computers really took off in the 90s and they're becoming integrated into our lives in ways that we never really imagined. The Internet became popular in the mid-to-late 90s but as you said really took off in the 2000s. After the dot-com burst, the Internet has become much more profitable and stable. It's come to dominate our lives. Digital downloads (and thus mp3 players), Wikipedia, MySpace and Facebook, YouTube, etc., have completely changed the cultural atmosphere, but it hasn't yet been occurring long enough for people to really gain a perspective on this, which is why I think most people don't see just how different the two decades are.

Politically I think it's also been a step back with the Bush administration and its policy of fear. It's the Cold War hangover; the U.S. is so used to having a definable enemy that they've exaggerated the threats of terrorism and used that to dominate the political atmosphere. This is similar to the 70s in that culture continued to advance but politics were kind of held back by weak and unpopular governments.

The kind of slowly-growing and pervasive outrage that the Bush administration has caused, as well as the fact that it's been longer than usual for a cultural revolution to have occurred, has led me to believe that a moderate to fairly large cultural revolution will take place over the next few years. The 60s saw that huge step forward in how liberal this country has been, and observing the other youth around here today I believe that it's going to happen again. Certainly not on the scale of the 60s, but pretty significant nonetheless.

Don't worry, once people can look back on the 2000s they'll be able to gain more perspective on it and how its come to shape this world. It's just that at the moment most people kind of see it as a natural progression of the 90s rather than seeing it as any significantly different than the 90s. I kind of see the 90s as a transition decade culturally, like some have said, the "calm" period where things evolve but not in any noticeably radical way like the 60s or even the strange and excessive 80s.

I certainly agree that the 2000s will come to be known as the Internet decade, since it's gone from being a consumer technology and business revolution in the 90s to a major and dominant cultural force in the 2000s.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,234 times
there are only a few similarties that i see
2 BUSH'S IN OFFICE
2 ATTACKS ON WTC
2 WARS
THATS ABOUT IT
90'S

Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
The period of American History from 1980- to today are remarkably the same in the USA as relating to political and economic idealogy. It has been a period of rather conservative dogma on cultural issues- but also rather conservative laissez Fair economics. With the current meltdown worldwide- it may augur in a New Era of Increased government safety nets for ordinary people- as well as more regulation.

The last liberal period lasted from 1932-1964- and peaked in the late 1960s- these cycles tend to last around 30 years- when change is demanded from the excesses any idealogy may breed. The pendulum usually swings too far to the left of right. We are probably on the cusp of a change back to the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History