Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,502 times

Advertisements

I was reading about Otto the Great and was suprised to find out that he was considered the first Holy Roman Emperor... I always thought it was Charlemagne...
I got to thinking about all the leaders in history who have the title "The Great"
So thought it would be neat to see how many you can come up with!
Not just a list of them.. one at a time with something interesting about them and maybe some links for further research
OttoI chose to be crowned in Aachen, Charlemagne's capital.
Here is a link:
Otto I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
Alfred was the only English king to be called "The Great" and that honor stems from his holding the line in SE England against the Danes, on behalf of the Saxons who had overwhelmed the Celts. He was also the first tribal leader (Wessex) to manage to gain some recognized authority over other tribes, thus the justification for Alfred referencing himself as "King of England" when in fact he influence covered but a small percentage of the island.

His sanctioning was a matter of him being a Catholic while the Viking invaders were pagans, so the Pope signed aboard on the "king" idea. In that the Anglo Saxons and the Danes wound up intermixing and blurring the distinctions, and all of that was overthrown by the Normans 150 years later, Alfred's actual greatness doesn't really jump out at you. I suspect that his legacy as great is largely the product of the church promoting one of its champions.

And while his title did not include the word "great" how can any of the so called greats compete with Idi Amin who was: " His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Default Pompey The Great

For me it would be one of the Greatest Roman Generals ever Pompey .....who was also given the title ''Magnus'' or ''The Great''

In 83 B.C. Roman Republic Military Dictator Sulla appointed Pompey at age 23 as general of 3 legions during the ''Marian Civil War'' as he went on to crush them. Sulla then sent him to crush the rebellions in Sicily and also North Africa in 81-80 B.C. He then was sent to crush the remaining Marians in Hispania in 76-71 B.C. He was then appointed to stop the cilician pirates who were raiding the coastal mediterranian cities and ravashing their economies as he destroyed their fleets in 67 B.C. He then went on to crush the Mithridates (Balkans) in 65 B.C. Then he entered and conquered Syria and conquered Judea (Isreal) and added these Roman Provinces to the Republic.

In his first 18 years as General he stood undefeated and is responsible for aquiring huge territories for the Roman Republic and first underlings of the future Roman Empire.

In 51 B.C. the 2 most powerful men in the republic Ceasar of the west and Pompey of the east both vied for sole power and the title of ''Magister'' or Dictator as only one could prevail so Civil War ensued between them. Finally in 48 B.C. Ceasar defeated him in the ''Battle of Pharsalus'' which had Pompey fleeing to egypt to regroup where he was tricked and assassinated by King Ptolemy XIII.

Anyway he definately deserved ''The Great'' as a military genius and general in the latter years of the Roman Republic.

Roman Empire - Pompey the Great

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
For me it would be one of the Greatest Roman Generals ever Pompey .....who was also given the title ''Magnus'' or ''The Great''

In 83 B.C. Roman Republic Military Dictator Sulla appointed Pompey at age 23 as general of 3 legions during the ''Marian Civil War'' as he went on to crush them. Sulla then sent him to crush the rebellions in Sicily and also North Africa in 81-80 B.C. He then was sent to crush the remaining Marians in Hispania in 76-71 B.C. He was then appointed to stop the cilician pirates who were raiding the coastal mediterranian cities and ravashing their economies as he destroyed their fleets in 67 B.C. He then went on to crush the Mithridates (Balkans) in 65 B.C. Then he entered and conquered Syria and conquered Judea (Isreal) and added these Roman Provinces to the Republic.

In his first 18 years as General he stood undefeated and is responsible for aquiring huge territories for the Roman Republic and first underlings of the future Roman Empire.

In 51 B.C. the 2 most powerful men in the republic Ceasar of the west and Pompey of the east both vied for sole power and the title of ''Magister'' or Dictator as only one could prevail so Civil War ensued between them. Finally in 48 B.C. Ceasar defeated him in the ''Battle of Pharsalus'' which had Pompey fleeing to egypt to regroup where he was tricked and assassinated by King Ptolemy XIII.

Anyway he definately deserved ''The Great'' as a military genius and general in the latter years of the Roman Republic.

Roman Empire - Pompey the Great
He wasn't as great a military genius as Caesar.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I was reading about Otto the Great and was suprised to find out that he was considered the first Holy Roman Emperor... I always thought it was Charlemagne...
I got to thinking about all the leaders in history who have the title "The Great"
So thought it would be neat to see how many you can come up with!
Not just a list of them.. one at a time with something interesting about them and maybe some links for further research
OttoI chose to be crowned in Aachen, Charlemagne's capital.
Here is a link:
Otto I
Hey Trudeyrose..... does Charlemagne's palace in Aachen still exist or has it crumbled over time??

Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM

524 posts, read 941,933 times
I heard a "Rest of the Story" piece by Paul Harvey about Alexander the Great and it was great! I wish I could find that piece! You did not find out who Mr. Harvey was talking about until the end of his story.

Library of Alexandria, war tactics, and effects on culture and racial make up of the known world. He was AWSOME!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM

434 posts, read 933,435 times
Default Peter the Great of Russian

I can think of him....

Not much knowledge about him since my current main interest is WWII, global issues etc.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Hey Trudeyrose..... does Charlemagne's palace in Aachen still exist or has it crumbled over time??
The Palace is gone, but the Cathedral is still there...
Napoleon was an admirer of Charlemagne and it is rumored that he sat in his throne while pillaging Germany!!!
Here is a neat site on it...Also of interst, check out the picture of the "all seeing eye" kind of looks like what is on the $1 bill
Aachen Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
He wasn't as great a military genius as Caesar.
But Caesar did not have the Title"The Great"

Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,126,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
I can think of him....

Not much knowledge about him since my current main interest is WWII, global issues etc.

Good luck!
You can't mention Peter the Great, without throwing one out there for the ladies, Catherine the Great, in power from 1762-1796. Born of german blood, Catherine was a great leader for Russia, bringing industrialization and mining, and improvments in education, she transformed a very backwards Russia.

Catherine the Great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History