Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

I would rank him as the 3rd worst- right behind Hoover and that snake Nixon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:36 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times
Here's an unpopular opinion, but Kennedy was the absolute worst most undeserving president in history. I love Jackie, John, and Caroline, but JFK crippled America and started the rotting process that is so out of control today.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
At least JFK cut taxes. It seems to me that the movement Left in the 60s really can be traced back to FDR. I know he was good for the morale of the country at the time but in retrospect he laid the groundwork for the huge entitlements of today and an attitude of expectation of "what can government to for me?" I think FDR deserves some votes for worst president, though probably not THE worst.

I am no fan of Clinton but it is too soon to place him in history. It is still probably too soon to place Reagan in history, objectively. Now Carter, well, I think he earned his spot by 1979! He has only reinforced his low place with his comments on foreign policy recently.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
At least JFK cut taxes. It seems to me that the movement Left in the 60s really can be traced back to FDR. I know he was good for the morale of the country at the time but in retrospect he laid the groundwork for the huge entitlements of today and an attitude of expectation of "what can government to for me?" I think FDR deserves some votes for worst president, though probably not THE worst.

I am no fan of Clinton but it is too soon to place him in history. It is still probably too soon to place Reagan in history, objectively. Now Carter, well, I think he earned his spot by 1979! He has only reinforced his low place with his comments on foreign policy recently.
I agree with the FDR comment. Also with Carter, don't forget the Panama Canal incident. Carter, definitely one of the worst.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Here's an unpopular opinion, but Kennedy was the absolute worst most undeserving president in history. I love Jackie, John, and Caroline, but JFK crippled America and started the rotting process that is so out of control today.

how do you figure that? what did he do to start the rotting?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
I think almost everyone agrees that GWB is probably one of the worst presidents in our lifetime. Its as if everything he touches becomes a disaster. I wasn't around for Nixon, but if it wasn't for Watergate, he would have actually been considered one of the better presidents according to many presidential historians...
I know, I remember he was in such hot water with the public, then Katrina hit. Of course I was thinking - he'd rather DIE than mess this one up.....

but of course....we all sat there in amazement and watched on live TV as the government stood around scratching their heads for a few days while people dropped dead on the evening news.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
You mean like the faith based initiatives that pander to a conservative base, the hypocritical "uniter" attitude that does more to divide this country than unite, the (un)Patriot Act, the subversion of US laws and policies like illegal wiretaps, Geneva Conventions, denying the Writ of Habeas Corpus to detainees, appointments like AG Gonzales who’s made comments to the Senate Judiciary Committee implying that rights that are not granted in the Constitution are not Rights guaranteed to the people, whining about the judicial appointments by trying to bypass the Constitutional Advise & Consent role of the Senate, using the Terri Shiavo case as a puppet and flying in to sign the bill (symbolic gesture as he could have had a cheaper courier or fax) yet waited days before flying over the Katrina damage. These are just a few among many.
amen, I couldn't agree more. sadly, you REALLY did quote just a few of the many.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Wazzu is correct. Despite his somewhat unscrupulous ways, Richard Nixon got a great deal done. And I am a liberal Democrat, so I'm not saying this because I am partisan.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
You mean like the faith based initiatives that pander to a conservative base, the hypocritical "uniter" attitude that does more to divide this country than unite, the (un)Patriot Act, the subversion of US laws and policies like illegal wiretaps, Geneva Conventions, denying the Writ of Habeas Corpus to detainees, appointments like AG Gonzales who’s made comments to the Senate Judiciary Committee implying that rights that are not granted in the Constitution are not Rights guaranteed to the people, whining about the judicial appointments by trying to bypass the Constitutional Advise & Consent role of the Senate, using the Terri Shiavo case as a puppet and flying in to sign the bill (symbolic gesture as he could have had a cheaper courier or fax) yet waited days before flying over the Katrina damage. These are just a few among many.
I'm no Bush apologist. I like some things he has done. I would support his impeachment for not enforcing our borders. But...

Faith-based initiatives (or charity-based, doesn't HAVE to be a religious thing exclusively) would work SO much more efficiently than what we have now. We have literally poisoned a generation of poor people with handouts.

The "uniter" attitude - you either like him or you don't. There is no such thing as a uniter in politics today, in either party. We are too partisan because we don't have the same goals as a country anymore.

The Patriot Act - we haven't been attacked on our soil again, have we? I think the war on terrorism (radical islam) is Bush's greatest accomplishment. He correctly sees it as a war for the military. Liberals see it more as a law enforcement problem.

Geneva Convention - terrorists have NO rights under the Geneva Convention. Go read it. It covers uniformed soldiers who are fighting for their country. When Al-Queda tells us where we can sit down and negotiate a cease-fire or they can have an Olympic team then I will listen to the argument that they are covered under the Geneva Convention.

Bypassing Congress on judicial appointments - are you talking about recess appointments? Presidents are allowed to do that. This Congress holds up judicial appointments because they are opposed to the ideology of the judge, not because a specific nominee is unqualified. I support a president's right to nominate any qualified person, regardless of ideology. I supported Clinton's nomination of Ginsberg (gulp!).

Terri Shiavo - Well, I am a rock-solid Conservative who opposes assisted-suicide but I am not opposed to letting nature take it course. I thought the whole Conservative movement was off on this one.

Katrina - It just shows that we all should be prepared to live on our own for at least a few days before we can get assistance. Government is naturally inept and inefficient in general.

There are plenty of bad things that GWB has done. My list would obviously be different than yours. Mine would include the Border, expansion of Medicare (we just can't afford it), massive increases in spending (we just can't afford it), Iraq (not implementing the surge sooner).

He absolutely will not be the worst president in history. My guess is that he will be average / below average. I personally view him as comparable to FDR. I think FDR was an below average president overall who laid the groundwork for massive federal programs that have created a "what can government do for me?" attitude. However, I think FDR was good for the morale of the country at the time. I think GWB will be viewed in retrospect as having done a good job on terrorism. That will be to his presidency what the depression was to FDR.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM

902 posts, read 718,192 times
Bush will go down as one of the wost Presidents and matters not if you love him or not but he will. He helped to shred the Constitution even more than what was already being done through the centuries. On top of that, he damn well proved that he didn't crae one iota for the regular Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History