Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,844,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
How can you avoid categorizing?

You find calling a Caucasian/white person an Anglo offensive, but how is that different from other groups being called African-American/black/Hispanic/Latino/Mexican/Mexican-American? Or Indian, Native American, et al..? They're all categories and classifications.

Of course, any of these terms can be made offensive (tone of voice, context), but to me, it's just a general term for white folks.

Really no big deal, IMHO.
Bravo, Cathy. I have lived here all my life, and Anglo is not a derogative term, only descriptive. It has never been an offensive label. If, when I was a kid, wanted to get offensive, I'd call an "anglo" a "gringo". That is offensive. Or was. Now that can even be used as a term of affection or just joking around.

Where did everyone's sense of humor go? Now it is more important to be politrically correct.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,628,651 times
Quote:
You're getting into a lot of gray areas and hair-pulling with that one. What is the "official" term? You don't always know what one's ethnicity is, either.
If you don't know someone's ethnicity, then why call them anything?

It would be just as silly and insulting to call everyone "Pollock" instead of "Anglo" just because you didn't know what their ethnicity actually was, or if you see someone that you think is "hispanic" but you don't know what kind so you call them Mexican. Anglo comes from the term WASP (white anglo-saxon protestant) and not all Caucasians are that. I know whites are supposed to accept terms like "redneck", "******", "whitey", "anglo" and so on but I don't think allowing others to disrespect your group is the right approach. Or maybe it's that whites think whites should respect other races but don't believe in holding other races to that same standard which in itself is patronizing.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,853,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Bravo, Cathy. I have lived here all my life, and Anglo is not a derogative term, only descriptive. It has never been an offensive label. If, when I was a kid, wanted to get offensive, I'd call an "anglo" a "gringo". That is offensive. Or was. Now that can even be used as a term of affection or just joking around.

Where did everyone's sense of humor go? Now it is more important to be politrically correct.
Good question......!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you don't know someone's ethnicity, then why call them anything?

It would be just as silly and insulting to call everyone "Pollock" instead of "Anglo" just because you didn't know what their ethnicity actually was, or if you see someone that you think is "hispanic" but you don't know what kind so you call them Mexican. Anglo comes from the term WASP (white anglo-saxon protestant) and not all Caucasians are that. I know whites are supposed to accept terms like "redneck", "******", "whitey", "anglo" and so on but I don't think allowing others to disrespect your group is the right approach. Or maybe it's that whites think whites should respect other races but don't believe in holding other races to that same standard which in itself is patronizing.
I understand your point, Malamute. Whites have always been held to a different standard, but the only thing that has ever really bugged me is the idea that only whites can be racist.

Racism cuts across all lines/ethnicities/skin colors/whatever I left out.

Having said that, it all gets so old. Old, old, old, old.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,017,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post

AMEN, Loborick!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,628,651 times
Quote:
I understand your point, Malamute. Whites have always been held to a different standard, but the only thing that has ever really bugged me is the idea that only whites can be racist.

Racism cuts across all lines/ethnicities/skin colors/whatever I left out.

Having said that, it all gets so old. Old, old, old, old.
It does get old and I think everyone should get away from racist attitudes. What does it accomplish to call someone an "anglo" except to categorize them into some racial group (to which they don't likely belong in the first place). Why is it necessary to constantly point out race or ethnicity? For anyone?

I can see using "black", or "white" for example as a physicial characteristic -- if you're trying to point out someone the same way you'd use "blond" or "brunette" or "red haired" and the word anglo certainly does not accomplish that.

A former co-worker of mine who is half hispanic but blond was amazed when she left this region that she no longer heard herself referred to by race on a daily basis. She wasn't anglo in the first place but she said she'd come to accept that she would be referred to as that daily, constantly. She found it a nice change to just be accepted as she was when she moved to the North east and race was not such an issue.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It does get old and I think everyone should get away from racist attitudes. What does it accomplish to call someone an "anglo" except to categorize them into some racial group (to which they don't likely belong in the first place). Why is it necessary to constantly point out race or ethnicity? For anyone?

I can see using "black", or "white" for example as a physicial characteristic -- if you're trying to point out someone the same way you'd use "blond" or "brunette" or "red haired" and the word anglo certainly does not accomplish that.

A former co-worker of mine who is half hispanic but blond was amazed when she left this region that she no longer heard herself referred to by race on a daily basis. She wasn't anglo in the first place but she said she'd come to accept that she would be referred to as that daily, constantly. She found it a nice change to just be accepted as she was when she moved to the North east and race was not such an issue.
Hispanic is actually a cultural term, and Hispanics can be any color or race--black, white, brown....and there might be a couple of polka-dotted ones that I missed running around somewhere.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM

622 posts, read 1,722,431 times
The only real defense of this word that I'm hearing is, to paraphrase, "personally, I don't mind the word or consider it a big deal so you shouldn't either, especially if you are white."

I find that really interesting. It makes sense, if it's as prevalent as you say, you either accept the term, or find yourself perpetually angry at being called a name you don't like. No one likes to remain constantly upset at something they perceive they can't change. So you either leave or accept it.

Also interesting to note, is that I've lived in a few different states in the Southwest and never heard the term, so "Anglo" must be a New Mexico thing.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
...you either accept the term, or find yourself perpetually angry at being called a name you don't like. No one likes to remain constantly upset at something they perceive they can't change.
Kinda sounds like the "fight or flight" mechanism, Mina. Good post.

p.s. Nothing wrong with "flight" IMO. Fighting sure does get old.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
The only real defense of this word that I'm hearing is, to paraphrase, "personally, I don't mind the word or consider it a big deal so you shouldn't either, especially if you are white."

I find that really interesting. It makes sense, if it's as prevalent as you say, you either accept the term, or find yourself perpetually angry at being called a name you don't like. No one likes to remain constantly upset at something they perceive they can't change. So you either leave or accept it.

Also interesting to note, is that I've lived in a few different states in the Southwest and never heard the term, so "Anglo" must be a New Mexico thing.
Well, life is too short! It might be a new Mexico thing, but it is also used in Texas to a lesser extent, so....I don't really pay any attention.

Now if I WERE called something that was offensive to me, you can be certain that I'd have a response or two that are just as bad or worse, LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History