Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 09:39 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times

Advertisements

I think it's pretty well known that TJ was in favour of the Revolution and supported its ideals at the beginning, but does anyone know what his feelings were as time went on? Did he approve/disapprove of the execution of the French royal family? What were his feelings on The Terror? Did he ever admit the Revolution had gone hideously wrong?

Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
"Sensing rising criticism of the excesses of the French Revolution in the letters of William Short (1759-1848), his handpicked chargé des affaires in Paris, Secretary of State Jefferson sharply chastised Short and praised the revolution despite its rising irrationality and violence: "and was ever such a prize won with so little innocent blood? my own affections have been deeply wounded by some of the martyrs to this cause, but rather than it should have failed, I would have seen half the earth desolated. were there but an Adam and Eve left in every country, left free, it would be better than as it now is."
A Revolutionary World - Thomas Jefferson (Library of Congress Exhibition)

Old 12-31-2008, 09:57 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Well, my opinion of Jefferson just suffered a rapid deflation. I'm surprised he didn't advocate something similar in America.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:35 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'm surprised he didn't advocate something similar in America.
Most likely not possible. In France you had a powerful monarchy to abolish and a entrenched culture to overhaul, very much different circumstances in the colonies at the time. Also, the colonies had a very large body of water separating itself from the powers of Europe who where, at the time, after each others throat.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Quote:
I think it's pretty well known that TJ was in favour of the Revolution and supported its ideals at the beginning, but does anyone know what his feelings were as time went on? Did he approve/disapprove of the execution of the French royal family? What were his feelings on The Terror? Did he ever admit the Revolution had gone hideously wrong?

Just curious
war is not talking.........TJ started the Marines when he was prez. and stopped paying tribute to Muslim Pirates and extracted a 5 year treaty that didn't last the tribute was I think 25% of the National Budget

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Quote:
Well, my opinion of Jefferson just suffered a rapid deflation. I'm surprised he didn't advocate something similar in America.
yeah the world is violent and kingdoms are established by violence

Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
yeah the world is violent and kingdoms are established by violence
And consider that they didn't have CNN with all the blood and guts to see for yourself. Reading a letter about the horror is one thing, seeing it is another. You fill in with what you understand as horror (why being less detailed in stories works so well). Jeffereson saw some terrible things, but the maw of death and horror that France became was unimagionable even for that time.

Jefferson was not opposed to violent revolution, and had lived through one. I would expect his version of excess would be far less than the reality. If CNN had been showing the heads falling and the grandmothers knitting and cheering I suspect he would have not been so enthusiastic.

Also remember the politics. Things were not going well with the British. Just because they lost there was no sense of security that the British wouldn't try again. If France was imploding and the British terrified it would spread there, they would not be looking across the sea.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Jefferson was not an advocate of the Terror so much as a person who did not want to give Anglophiles in the U.S. more of a pretext for war with France, and a person who wanted to keep all things in their proper perspective. After the downfall of Napoleon he had the following summary:

Quote:
Robespierre met the fate, and his memory the execration, he so justly merited. The rich were his victims, and perished by thousands. It is by millions that Bonaparte destroys the poor, and he is eulogized and deified by the sycophants even of science. These merit more than the mere oblivion to which they will be consigned: and the day will come when a just posterity will give to their hero the only preeminence he has earned, that of having been the greatest of the destroyers of the human race. What year of his military life has not consigned a million of human beings to death, to poverty and wretchedness! What field in Europe may not raise a monument of the murders, the burnings, the desolations, the famines, and miseries it has witnessed from him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History