Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM

541 posts, read 981,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Tomorrow.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,965,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
AMERICIA , ONE AMAZING EVENT AFTER ANOTHER....and of course it was Jefferson with starch enough in his pants to Establish the US Marinne Corp and send a stern message to the muslims of the middle east.
My purpose was not to cheer Jefferson as an improvement over Adams, rather it was a celebration of the peaceful transfer of power, of constructing a rational process for determining who holds political power and for how long, and then sticking to it.

And, oh....Jefferson sent the USN against the Tripoli pirates, when did Tripoli get transferred to the "middle east?" My map seems to think it is due South from Sicily.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,757,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My purpose was not to cheer Jefferson as an improvement over Adams, rather it was a celebration of the peaceful transfer of power, of constructing a rational process for determining who holds political power and for how long, and then sticking to it.

And, oh....Jefferson sent the USN against the Tripoli pirates, when did Tripoli get transferred to the "middle east?" My map seems to think it is due South from Sicily.
THE MARINES ARE THE GROUND TROOPS THE NAVY IS JUST THE TRANSPORTATION, kid. And my map was folded.,

Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,853,077 times
It is a possibility that after July 4, 1776....it started to go a little downhill.

Seriously, 1945 was probably when America was at the very peak of her dreams of prosperity. People were full of hope and patriotism. What a wonderful time to have been alive.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM

Default fROM THE BEGINING THERE WAS gOOd AND eVIL

good typist and...........you know. Scripture records that God, at some point rested from creation and said, this is good....creation good, man good but lonely , perfect but man needed a help mate? Woman came from man. And all hell broke loose. Not mans fault , he could not say no to the woman ,(just not wise enough to deal with the situation).......and Woman , she was overly inflluenced by the rap of Satan. The game is still the Same...........the Devil doesn't make us do it ...........the Devil makes us believe we want to do it or makes us think we want to do it...the Devil Raps and we Listen.........until we learn to tune out, turn it off, return to the voice of Reason....return to our allegiance to what is right........as President says " the time has come to put away childish things"

Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It is a possibility that after July 4, 1776....it started to go a little downhill.

Seriously, 1945 was probably when America was at the very peak of her dreams of prosperity. People were full of hope and patriotism. What a wonderful time to have been alive.
I was born in 1945........it was a wonderful time to be alive, as opposed to be dead........I suffered from in- effective instruction. Like my dog I could have used better training . My parents were preoccupied and lacking in understanding like Adam and Eve they had started out life on a wonderful loving path.........put there is always a devil and an untrained ear..........so I am grateful that I see my parents in the light of reality. I do not blame them who worked so hard to give me a chance to help someone else....So I think the Best Day in American History is the day and the days that a person wakes up still free to work out the own souls salvation........and thinks of better ways to pass this , Great Experiment, to the next generation still in tact.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You ruin your credibility when you throw out facile statements like that. As if disapproval of one thing automatically means approval of the old unjust systems. It's an inane line of reasoning.

The Great Society program deepened poverty, rather than eliminated it. The enormous housing projects actually created large breeding grounds for crime in the inner city. The mushrooming tax rates, with special penalties to such things as corporate research and developments, retarded economic growth--the only true way to life people out of poverty. Medicare and Medicaid, designed to make healthcare more affordable, have actually made it less so. After all, when both programs were implemented in a ill considered rush, healthcare expenses constituted roughly 5% of the GNP. Today, it's closer to 18%. And the list goes on and on and on, from non-existent productivity growth to the stagnancy of the capital markets. All you have to do is examine this country's economic stagnancy from 1964 to 1982 to see what Lyndon Johnson wrought on this country.
I don't know the numbers but I do not see the dirt roads of my childhood, THE POVERTY OF THE 30'S the army draft of my young adult-hood, I see an America fixing her problems as they arise. But the GREAT SHIP WE ARE SAILING ON ,FOR SOME RESAON I DO NOT UNDERSTAND..........MUST TACT IN THE WIND OF ADVERSITY.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 PM

3,393 posts, read 3,994,054 times
I've been pondering this. I've gotta go with VJ Day. Defeating the Axis powers was the greatest achievement of our country's history. I can't agree that Independence Day was the best and it was all downhill from there. That would rank us with pitiful failures of revolution like France.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I've been pondering this. I've gotta go with VJ Day. Defeating the Axis powers was the greatest achievement of our country's history. I can't agree that Independence Day was the best and it was all downhill from there. That would rank us with pitiful failures of revolution like France.
I'm with you. The French Revolution quickly descended into total butchery, followed by 20 years of lemming-like crusades to conquer Europe on behalf of Napoleon. After the American Revolution, maybe 3000 Tories were deported. Simply not the same.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,502,808 times
January 20, 1981: American hostages released in Iran. It sure felt like a great day, even though it probably wasn't the BEST day in American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History