Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,121,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Overrated:
JFK - Just what did he do anyway?;
Ike - Good, but not higher then Jackson or Reagan;
LBJ - Disasterous socail programs & vietnam, what a legacy.
Carter - nuff said.
Nixon - good cold warrior, but impeached & disaterous economic policies, should be in bottom 5
Clinton - Impeached caretaker. Should be bottom 10
Truman - Love Dirty Harry, but he does'nt rank above TJ. He's top 10 but not top 5

Underrated:
Reagan - won the cold war
Monroe - Monroe doctrine proclaimed American dominance in hemisphere
Jefferson - Should be #5

OP - thanks for posting the link & info
JFK (cuban missile crisis,banged marilyn)
Clinton(foreign relations,low gas prices,low unemployment)

George W should have been in bottom 3; he has killed the U.S.and has made us the laughing stock and most hated in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,721,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
overrated~ Andrew Jackson~ practiced genocide against American indians, who had helped him in earlier endeavors Should be in the bottom 5

If you feel so strongly about it you can turn your property over to the Indians. All of us that aren't Indians have benefitted by the actions of Jackson and others that subjected and removed Indians.

Your definition of genocide cheapens the term. Jackson never advocated or attempted to exterminate Indians. He was ruthless in defeating them and bending them to the will of The United States yes, but that's not extermination.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,130,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If you feel so strongly about it you can turn your property over to the Indians. All of us that aren't Indians have benefitted by the actions of Jackson and others that subjected and removed Indians.

Your definition of genocide cheapens the term. Jackson never advocated or attempted to exterminate Indians. He was ruthless in defeating them and bending them to the will of The United States yes, but that's not extermination.
Tell the cherokee that Andrew Jackson was good for them~ land confiscated~women with infants and children force marches a thousand miles out of the United States in the dead of winter with no food~ more than 9 out of 10 died. That is a little higher kill percentage than hitler had over the jews in ww2. That rates right up there with genocide. And what did they do to warrent the treatment? Stand beside him in the war against the british at new orleans ( for whitch they were promised many things, including the land they were evicted from and money that was never paid)! Advocated and attempted!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,721,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Tell the cherokee that Andrew Jackson was good for them~ land confiscated~women with infants and children force marches a thousand miles out of the United States in the dead of winter with no food~ more than 9 out of 10 died. That is a little higher kill percentage than hitler had over the jews in ww2. That rates right up there with genocide. And what did they do to warrent the treatment? Stand beside him in the war against the british at new orleans ( for whitch they were promised many things, including the land they were evicted from and money that was never paid)! Advocated and attempted!

I won't accept your numbers without a citation.

In any event I'm not arguing that the Indians didn't get a raw deal. What I'm asserting is that most of us benefit by the raw deal they got and I think it's unseemly to condemn the people by whose actions we benefit. Be aware of their actions yes, of course. But condemnation? Not unless you'll condemn yourself.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,459,167 times
Quote:
Clinton(foreign relations,low gas prices,low unemployment)
Quote:
Underrated~ Clinton ~first modern day president to actually balance budget
What significant economic policy measures did Clinton implement that delivered the prosperity of the 90's?

Besides NAFTA, what significant foriegn policy program did he champion?

Sorry, just because a president was running the show when the tide rolled in does not make him great.

And he was impeached, disgraced his office, and his neglect directly or indirectly lead to 9/11. His economic record looks good because he had the good luck to have his term end before the tech bubble burst.

100 years from now he'll be remembered as the impeached caretaker president who's very name became a colloquialism for dishonest & slick & who's wife went from first lady to senator to SecState.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,121,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
What significant economic policy measures did Clinton implement that delivered the prosperity of the 90's?

Besides NAFTA, what significant foriegn policy program did he champion?

Sorry, just because a president was running the show when the tide rolled in does not make him great.

And he was impeached, disgraced his office, and his neglect directly or indirectly lead to 9/11. His economic record looks good because he had the good luck to have his term end before the tech bubble burst.

100 years from now he'll be remembered as the impeached caretaker president who's very name became a colloquialism for dishonest & slick & who's wife went from first lady to senator to SecState.
Let me tell you this---if every president cheated on his wife and had the same 8 year results as Clinton I bet we'd all take it.I feel bad for his wife but thats between them.The big thing about being president is that most alot of what makes a president great is simple hand shaking.If we were to be on good terms with most of the middle east,Russia,China,etc...we would have new chances for exports which would create new jobs and would lower the price for imports as well. Now if that isn't an economic stimulus,then I don't know what one is!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:26 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,559,405 times
My first reaction to that listing was--something isn't right if Gerald Ford is as high up as 22nd. Surely that can't be on account of his having put the word "rebate" into the national lexicon?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,092,759 times
I think Bush 41 will ultimately prove to be a far better president than 18th. When you realize how adroitly he managed a) the crackup of the Soviet Empire, b) the collapse of the Soviet Union proper, and c) the first Gulf War, you realize that he may have been one of the top foreign policy presidents ever--certainly better than Woodrow Wilson.

The president whose adulation I simply don't understand is John F. Kennedy. Yes, he stared down the Russians. But I'm not sure any competent leader wouldn't have.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,204,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

Well I guess it wasn't reasonable to expect all of the posts to be intelligent

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,851,188 times
I think they really should limit this list to the presidents prior to a generation (20 or 30) years ago. It's just not fair to judge a president when history has not settled, and you will get too much political bias. It turns historians into political analysts, not their area of expertise.

That being said I have to also say that JFK is a little overrated, probably due to the still lingering emotional aspect of his assasination.
Ford up on the list is a suprise (but again, too current in history to really judge).
Grant - as much as I like him, had a presidency filled with corruption so I am suprised he even made the top 25.
And...Jimmy Carter I would have expected to see in the bottom 10.
Was Bill Clinton really a better president than John Adams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History