Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 13,399,539 times

Advertisements

Remember the blonde, blue-eyed, fair skin mutation took place most likely in the Baltic region or more in the regions around the Gulf of Bothnia where it is commonest today and spread all over Europe, ultimately Northern Europe. We could say that extremely blonde countries are Finland, Sweden, Norway, Estonia and Denmark. This doesn't mean everyone there is blonde either.

A very blonde Scandinavian child

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,002,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Remember the blonde, blue-eyed, fair skin mutation took place most likely in the Baltic region or more in the regions around the Gulf of Bothnia where it is commonest today and spread all over Europe, ultimately Northern Europe. We could say that extremely blonde countries are Finland, Sweden, Norway, Estonia and Denmark. This doesn't mean everyone there is blonde either.
Blond hair independently appears in a number of places outside of Europe, for example Melanesia 5-10% of the population exhibits a genetic proclivity for blond hair, the highest occurrence of blonds outside of Europe and independent of any European admixture.

Case closed: blonde Melanesians understood - Gene Expression | DiscoverMagazine.com

Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,085,180 times
I think Mendel's genetics are undergoing revision now that DNA studies are being done on so many individuals. In fact I have read the Mendelian gene theory is more a way to understand outcomes than a hard and fast "law."

To add to discussion, I am a natural blonde who started out quite red. Both sibs were quite red, as was my mother. As I aged, my blonde hair darkened to "what color is your hair?" But I've always considered myself to be blonde. We all have blue eyes.

We only had one red head in the next gen. And we have had none in the generation after that. I suppose the red will resurface a couple of gens down the line, and surprise a set of parents.

One of my grands has blonde hair, similar to mine, with red tints. But I doubt it stays that color.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,032,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Blond hair independently appears in a number of places outside of Europe, for example Melanesia 5-10% of the population exhibits a genetic proclivity for blond hair, the highest occurrence of blonds outside of Europe and independent of any European admixture.

Case closed: blonde Melanesians understood - Gene Expression | DiscoverMagazine.com
I believe Australian Aborigines sometimes display adolescent blondism as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,002,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I believe Australian Aborigines sometimes display adolescent blondism as well.
Yes they do.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

The evolution of blondism in Melanesia is different from that evolved in Northern Europe among white people I mean. These evolutions are not connected, the reason could also be of the natural "bleaching" of hair by intense sunlight could also produce light/blonde hair and this could have become genetic, however that is only a theory. However Europeans have the highest frequency of people who have hair color between light blonde and black the same goes for eye color variations is highest in Europe. [/quote]

Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 PM

The story of evolution of humans is a tremendous one, all humans are descended from one family or group of people in Eastern Africa. These people gradually left Africa for various reasons going various directions undergoing different evolutions due to different climates other lost pigmentation of skin due to living in colder climates, hair and eyes became blonde, blue-eyed, fair skin others became remain as dark as their ancestors but lost their hair pigment for other reasons. Isn't diversity wonderful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History