Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:20 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
There is a lock of Queen Elizabeth I's hair at the place where I work.

One of my colleagues was cleaning around it and felt the sudden urge to sneeze!

Could have been an unfortunate event!
LOL.....Sounds like an episode of Monty Pythons Flying Circus . I hope you work at an British museum .

Back to seriousness here's a tad more on Redheads.

Redheads are about 4 percent of Europe's population with Scotland having the highest percent at 13% with 40% carrying the recessive redhead gene followed by Ireland at 10% with 46% carrying the recessive gene for it.

In the USA anywhere from 6 to 18 million are redheads which makes it the largest population of redheads in the world. They are found all around Europe including the Berbers of Morocco and the Kabyles of Algeria in which 4% of them are redheads.

The pigment Pheomelamin is what gives redhair it's distinctive color and it's caused by a mutated form of the MC1R Gene (Blonde Gene).

Red hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Even though i'm not blonde this an interesting topic Trudey as it has history and science in it as i love both. So it's the MC1R gene that creates blonde hair. It's kinda neat to see how they are matching different peoples in different locations with certain traits with the different genes as our knowledge continues to grow in this field. For myself finding that the P53 gene allows us ''non olive skin'' white caucasians to tan brown in the sun was nice to know but i'm still trying to match what ancient peoples carry this P53 gene as like certain northern europeans and others (certain blonde eskimos and pacific islanders etc.) carry the MC1R gene.

I remembered being kinda like ''wow'' when studying Catherine of Aragon (King Henry VIII's first wife) and how she had reddish/blonde hair and her mother being Queen Isabella I of Spain also having blondish hair as i imagine they had some of the Visigoth blood in them as i always thought of Spanards being latin.
Blonde hair's not uncommon in northern and central Spain, or at least no less common than in France or northern Italy.

Quote:
For a laugh here the most beautiful blonde ever i've seen in my life is Agnetha Falkstog of Sweden ...........one of the lead singers of the band ABBA :
IMO the most beautiful blonde ever was Brigitte Bardot in her prime - and she wasn't a natural blonde. (This is by no means an endorsement of Bardot's insane politics)

Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
6 FOOT

Spanish people are a "etnia", just like Italians, French, Germans, etc.
There's no such thing as "Latin people".
Latins were a tribe of Indoeuropean settlers that inhabited the "Latium", the ancestral land of Rome.
The words "Latin", "Celt", "Germanic", "Iberian", "Illirian", "Dacian", etc, etc, do not denote a race, but a CULTURE.
Those tribes arrived 4000 to 4500 years ago and their culture was far superior than the one existing in Europe, by then a barren place emerging from an atrocious glatiation, they mixed with them and locals adopted their culture.
For example, you take Germany, the "Aryan" steorotypes (just pure poppycock) were so scarce in some regions of Germany that they had to select them from all around.
Take for example Hitler, Alpine, Goebbels, he had some Molucan blood, Himmler, he looks definitively Jewish, etc, etc.
Germans are a "etnia" that includes Mongols, Slavics, Celts and Roman settlers.
Blonde hair and blue eyes are a recessive trait that appear in places with snow and scarce light.
Now it was discovered that the only real Europeans (Neanderthal) had reddish-blonde hair and blue eyes.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 05-21-2009 at 05:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
There is a lock of Queen Elizabeth I's hair at the place where I work.

One of my colleagues was cleaning around it and felt the sudden urge to sneeze!

Could have been an unfortunate event!

Boy I would like to know if there is any DNA left in that locke of hair! lol

Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Even though i'm not blonde this an interesting topic Trudey as it has history and science in it as i love both. So it's the MC1R gene that creates blonde hair. It's kinda neat to see how they are matching different peoples in different locations with certain traits with the different genes as our knowledge continues to grow in this field. For myself finding that the P53 gene allows us ''non olive skin'' white caucasians to tan brown in the sun was nice to know but i'm still trying to match what ancient peoples carry this P53 gene as like certain northern europeans and others (certain blonde eskimos and pacific islanders etc.) carry the MC1R gene.

I remembered being kinda like ''wow'' when studying Catherine of Aragon (King Henry VIII's first wife) and how she had reddish/blonde hair and her mother being Queen Isabella I of Spain also having blondish hair as i imagine they had some of the Visigoth blood in them as i always thought of Spanards being latin.

(Queen Isabella's daughter Catherine at 15 years old).
File:Catherine of Aragon as Mary Magdalene. jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a laugh here the most beautiful blonde ever i've seen in my life is Agnetha Falkstog of Sweden ...........one of the lead singers of the band ABBA .

http://www.abba-intermezzo.de/abba1.jpg

I had heard that True Blonde is very rare now, and it came from Sweeden.

I have brown hair which also has golden highlights and a hint of red, but as I get older, my hair wishes not to come out to see the sun anymore and if it does, it appears grey! lol 'Corse I have to admit the grey shows up more with every child I helped to get a drivers licence...

Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
The genetics of hair color fascinates me. I'm a copper redhead who married a blond, and we've had two red-haired children: one strawberry, one copper. There are redheads all over our families in every generation. Surprisingly, with the exception of my husband and me, most of the redheads were male and the blonds were female.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
6 FOOT

Spanish people are a "etnia", just like Italians, French, Germans, etc.
There's no such thing as "Latin people".
Latins were a tribe of Indoeuropean settlers that inhabited the "Latium", the ancestral land of Rome.
The words "Latin", "Celt", "Germanic", "Iberian", "Illirian", "Dacian", etc, etc, do not denote a race, but a CULTURE.
Those tribes arrived 4000 to 4500 years ago and their culture was far superior than the one existing in Europe, by then a barren place emerging from an atrocious glatiation, they mixed with them and locals adopted their culture.
For example, you take Germany, the "Aryan" steorotypes (just pure poppycock) were so scarce in some regions of Germany that they had to select them from all around.
Take for example Hitler, Alpine, Goebbels, he had some Molucan blood, Himmler, he looks definitively Jewish, etc, etc.
Germans are a "etnia" that includes Mongols, Slavics, Celts and Roman settlers.
Blonde hair and blue eyes are a recessive trait that appear in places with snow and scarce light.
Now it was discovered that the only real Europeans (Neanderthal) had reddish-blonde hair and blue eyes.
LOL, yes i know that ''latins'' are not a people of the whole of europe as i used the term to describe those who belonged to the former Imperial Provinces of the Western Empire who speak the ''romance'' language in which latin is the historical foundation. I should have been more clearer as that was my fault in my latter posting.

As for the ''Celts''...... i know that they did not call themselves that term as that is an ''umbrella'' term for those early iron age europeans as again there were some 160 different tribes of the ''celts'' with simular culture and linguistics. Kind of like in North America as there are the ''Native Americans'' and yet there are and/or were over 100's of tribes who spoke different tongues and styles of culture YET fit under the same umbrella called Native American as was the tribes of ''celtic'' europe.

Are we on the same page now or is there something else you think i'm off about.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The genetics of hair color fascinates me. I'm a copper redhead who married a blond, and we've had two red-haired children: one strawberry, one copper. There are redheads all over our families in every generation. Surprisingly, with the exception of my husband and me, most of the redheads were male and the blonds were female.
Well redheads have the same hair color gene ''Mc1r'' as those of us with black hair except that red hair is the mutated form of it.

Here's you a wiki read about the gene.
Melanocortin 1 receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Red hair is highly prized in my Scot-Irish family, and as the only sibling with a red-headed child, guess who is Grandma's favorite? lol It is my understanding that, being the most recessive color, a red-head can only pass on 'red' genes to his/her offspring; and in order to inherit red hair, the child must recieve 'red' genes from both parents. My ex-husband was a red-head. He had one child with each of his two ex-wives, who are both natural blondes. One child is a red-head, the other is blonde.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
blonde hair is not unusual among aboriginal children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History