Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times

Advertisements

In my family we had three children born with cotton top blond hair, and around year 5 changing to an auburn, than by 15 to a reddish brown and now in our 50’s it looks to be going back to white. My German Grand Parents said we are known as “Black Germans” and it was common in the area of the Rhine valley. I think we are more like lizards changing colors to match the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 01:34 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
All of my family have blonde hair with a fair bit of red in it.
I'm over 50 but my hair has only recently started to darken.
My great grandmothers family in Stavanger had hair that was. I'm told the same colour.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:33 AM

129 posts, read 555,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
6 FOOT

Blonde hair and blue eyes are a recessive trait that appear in places with snow and scarce light.
Now it was discovered that the only real Europeans (Neanderthal) had reddish-blonde hair and blue eyes.

I disagree with your theory
What about the millions of people with brown hair and blue eyes and black hair and blue eyes.
Ive seen quite alot of brown haired americans with blue eyes.
Also in Australia there are quite alot of blueeyed and brown haired people
and we have blond hair with blue eyed people here in australia too and we have plenty of heat and lots of light

Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Mendel's Genetics. For example, I have blue eyes but none of my parents and brothers have blue eyes, but my Grandfather was blueyed. I'm blonde and I was born with white-cotton hair, and nobody in my entire family is blonde (they all have either black hair, chestnut hair or reddish hair).

The Mendels Genetics provokes such throwbacks.

As to the origin of blue eyes and blond hair in my family, I don't have the foggiest idea. We have been living more or less in the same area (NE-NW of Spain) during the last 10 centuries that I know of and blue eyes, red hair, black hair, hazelnut hair and blonde hair occur naturally within the same family.

The typical inhabitant in the mountains here is short, dark-reddish hair and reddish face (a lot of wine and "moonshine"). Others are typically Mediterranean and some other are typically Germanic. Such fenotypes occur naturally in every family.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The gene for red hair, according to anthropologists who believe in the assimilation model (like me) is thought to have originated in Neanderthal.....

Just thought I'd chime in with that....
I've never heard that there was a serious assimilation model. I have no doubt that the Neanderthals interbred. I'm aware of a family that seriously has a LOT of the physical characteristics, way more than one might ever expect. This isn't a put down of the family in any way. Just that body build is very close, and both the guys and the gals are INCREDIBLY strong, to the point that even construction workers are dumbfounded.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 AM

Neanderthals almost never interbred with Homo Sapiens Sapiens. There are only two cases that were found here, in Spain, but purely anecdotical.

Neanderthals were not "killed" by Homo Sapiens Sapiens as previously believed. It seems that they were left aside in their enclaves, some as recent as 29.000 years ago in Malaga, Spain.

It seems that Homo Sapiens believed that Neaderthals were rather "eery" and strange, but didn't interfere a lot with them.

When Homo Sapiens Sapiens arrived, Neaderthals were very scarce.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Blonde hair and blue eyes are a recessive trait that appear in places with snow and scarce light.
Now it was discovered that the only real Europeans (Neanderthal) had reddish-blonde hair and blue eyes.

Actually this is not true at all, it is just one of many genetic traits that can appear in the human genome. If that were the case then there would not be blonde haired kids with dark skin native to Australia.

And if it were true that blonde hair and blue eyes supposdly appears in places with little light and snow then the Eskimos and Native Americans (First Nations) people living in North America would be more Nordic looking. But in fact they are not.

Blue eyes and green eyes are actually quite common in central asia, and its quite possible the ancestors of modern europeans migrated somewhere out of that area.

And to follow up on an earlier post, there is actually no genetic evidence that Neanderthals ever interbred with modern humans. In fact by the time humans arrived in Europe and other places Neanderthals were pretty much wiped out by the change in climate and lack of food.

It was ONCE theorized that humans maybe interbred with them, but new genetic evidence says NO. So you can take all your junk science built on just "theory" and throw it in the trash.

Blue and green eyes, and blonde hair is rare, and so is red hair, but it is not confined to only Europeans.

See the pictures below. These children are from the border of India and Pakistan, they almost look European. And see the picture below that, these children are from Australia. These traits are not confined to Europe.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM

Climber

Those kids in Pakistan are indeed Indoeuropeans, from the so-called Aryan Invasions of Indostan. Indoeuropeans live as far as China. In Pakistan they talk Urdu, an Indoeuropean language. Those kids are probably related with Indoeropeans that invaded Europe some 4.000 years ago (Germanics, Latins, Slavic, etc).

Protomongols come from warm weather and later migrated North. It takes from 10.000 to 12.000 years for ethnic characteristics to appear.

Yes, reddish and blondish hair is common among kids in Africa, among Melanesians, etc. You must take into account that all Human Beings are Homo Sapiens Sapiens and closely related, so the genes are there and may surface on some occasions.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Protomongols come from warm weather and later migrated North. It takes from 10.000 to 12.000 years for ethnic characteristics to appear.

I get the rest of what you were saying, but this comment is not true at all. So called Proto Mongols have been living in Cold Climates in excess of 10,000-12,000 years.

Mother nature has more then one variation for adaptation to cold weather. For instance the Epicanthic fold (slanted eyes) in Asians is an adaptation to the glare of snowfall.

That being said I don't buy that it takes 10-12K years for characteristics to develop. Its highly variable. Archeological evidence shows that humans have lived in North America for at least 12-16,000 years. Some say upwards of 20,000 years ago.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 AM

XX

I just found this. According to the writing, the mutation that provoked blue eyes appeared 10.000 years ago and was sucessful among Europeans, that's why it became fairly common.

Blue eyes have their hue because of a single genetic mutation that occurred fewer than 10,000 years ago in one individual and swept rapidly through the European population, according to a study published in the journal Human Genetics in January.
After studying some 800 individuals from Denmark, Turkey, and Jordan, the researchers pinpointed a single base-pair change in the human genome that showed up in all the blue-eyed people and none of the brown-eyed people. “There was one founder mutation that gave rise to all the people in Europe who have blue eyes,” says report coauthor Jesper Troelsen, a University of Copenhagen molecular biologist. “It was quite surprising.”
advertisement | article continues below

Those with blue eyes also shared a number of other genetic markers in the same region—a stretch of DNA that regulates production of the pigment melanin. The tweak causes the iris to manufacture less melanin, lending the eyes their lighter shade.
As DNA passes down through generations, it gets shuffled and reshuffled. Because this particular stretch of DNA was so similar—barely shuffled—among all the blue-eyed people studied, the researchers inferred that the blue-eyes mutation is fairly young. Its apparently rapid spread through the population also suggests that, evolutionarily speaking, the mutation had something to offer. “It’s difficult to know what happened 10,000 years ago,” Troelsen says, but blue eyes may be linked with other traits—such as light skin color—that came in handy for early northern

Last edited by Leovigildo; 05-26-2009 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History