Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Um this is not from television, its a simple truth and fact. Most southern Italians have rather dark features compared to most Europeans. Especially in places like Sicily.
Umm, this is from your other post:

"But in general the vast majority of Italians do have dark hair and dark skin."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
No, Italians don't have dark skin.
They might have dark hair, or chestnut hair.
Not necessaraly, in the Apulia, southern Italy, there are more blondes and blue eyed people that in most Italy.
Sicilians have a light skin.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Not necessaraly, in the Apulia, southern Italy, there are more blondes and blue eyed people that in most Italy.
I agree about Italian's not being dark skinned as i've been to Italy many times during my Navy Career i.e. Naples, Gaeta and Rome and their skin color is the same as most Caucasian Americans that i saw when i visited the country. Infact the northern Mexicans here in New Mexico have way darker skin than any Italian i've ever seen.

Also my maternal grandmother is Greco/Italian with their facial type features and jet black hair when i saw pictures of her back in the 40's and 50's and yet her skin always was lite.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 05-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: typo - 6/3

Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,478 times
Quote:
You must be joking.

Light skin compared to who? The frequency of blue eyes in southern italy, greece, and spain is very low compared to Northern European countries. You can't fool me I studied population genetics before going to grad school. I am simply comparing Italians particularly those from southern italy and sicily to Anglo Saxons. Sicilians are noticably darker then those from northern europe. In fact I would go as far and say that many Sicilians look more lebanesse or Turkish then their brothers to the north.

Dark hair, dark eyes, and olive complexion (which yes is dark compared to Germans, swedes and Brits) is common place in Italy.

Alot of so called "blondes" in italy bleach their hair. Just like alot of blondes in Greece and Turkey. The map below is pretty obvious and if you travel extensively their is a marked difference between Italians living in the south compared to those living in the north. The original inhabitants (the etruscans) of the Italian pennisula came from Asia Minor and the eastern mediterrean.

Last edited by XXclimberX; 05-29-2009 at 11:54 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM

Of course, those countries have a large percentage of barbarian non-European wet-backs that crossed Rio Grande (Rhenus) 1700 years ago. I'm talking here about Europeans, people that have been living here during the last 3000 years.

As to Hyperboreans, those people living on uncharted territory beyond "limes", Hyperboreans have ethnic traits that are different from European traits. Some of them are mongols, some of their women have long and braided blonde hair that were very valued by Romans to make wigs. Their women are not very different from their men and use grease to fight cold, so they stink. Their only known skills are wine drinking, war and jewelry. Romans were concerned about their capacity to become civilized, and they proved right in their worries.

Their language is a sucession of strange gutural noises and they use strange inscriptions called runes to express themselves. Because of their barbarian, gregarious and pastoral nature, they are forced to cyclical migrations to the south (World Wars).

Last edited by Leovigildo; 05-30-2009 at 02:17 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,478 times
Quote:
Of course, those countries have a large percentage of barbarian non-European wet-backs that crossed Rio Grande (Rhenus) 1700 years ago. I'm talking here about Europeans, people that have been living here during the last 3000 years.).

The etruscans were some of the original founders of Rome, they have been living there for thousands of years.

You seem to forget that a large portion of the European population is made up of people who migrated from the "east" and so called barbarian non europeans. Its kind of funny you say that because 2500-3000 years ago most of northern europe was rather tribal compared to other places in the near east.

If you go to Greece today you will see for yourself that the average greek person is rather indistinguishable from a person from Turkey.

That being said the northern half of Italy has a large celtic influence in Cisalpine Gaul until the Romans conquered and colonised the area in the 2nd century. Much of southern Italy was in fact settled by greeks, italics and etruscan peoples. Germanic tribes invaded northern italy multiple times, they are not the original inhabitants of the Italian pennisula. Eventually they assimilated with Romans living in the north.

You can go to a place like Tuscany and see people with lighter features, but I guarantee you if you go to a place like Naples the people are much darker and almost look "arab" to a person who is not used to it. It seems to me that you want to push your own revisionist alternative view of history. I am sorry I just don't buy it. Any well traveled educated person with a background in science and history won't be fooled.

You can't deny the chart I posted above. The incidence of natural blonde hair is not very common among the vast majority of Greeks, Italians and Spaniards.

Last edited by XXclimberX; 05-30-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
I am African- American and have always been amused by the fixation on blond hair. My Dad was fair-skinned with grey/hazel eyes and my mother is medium brown with amber/hazel eyes. both had dark brown hair in their day. But I have old photos of Dad as a toddler and he was blond! One of my older sisters was also blond as a small child then her hair darkened to brown. Thank god she never had the penchant to bleach her hair and call it natural!
God gave us what we got and it's all beautiful!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 AM

XX

I'm not talking about Celts. I'm not talking about Etruscans (by the way, they didn't found Rome, the occupied Rome during certain time). I'm not talking about Syrians and people from the Middle East that constituted a important part of Southern Europe during the last 3.000 years. (By the way, Turkish people are not Middle Easterns, they came from Asia less than 1000 years ago). Greeks don't have abything to do with Turks, and I would highly recommend not to say that in Greece.

I'm talking about Barbarians (Germanics, Slavics, Huns, for me is just the same). They destroyed the ancient world, invaded the Empire and brought their tribal and racist ways into the Classical Civilization.

Latins didn't care about blonde hair or race, they only care about "Civilizatio".

And yes, many women were raped by barbarians, that's why in the eastern limits of the Empire, you find people with straw hair and slanted eyes.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
No, this is not a Miss Clairol ad
I was looking for something else and found this article...I always wondered how blond hair evolved in people. I know red hair is a genetic mutation..so is blond, but why? This pretty much answered the question..
Blond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow! VERY interesting!

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM

47 posts, read 44,463 times
Blonde hair and blue eyes are mutations that appeared around the Caspian sea some 10.000 years ago. They brought their mutation to Europe with Indoeuropean invasions.In Northern Europe, very primitive societies in which marriages were not agreed based on land and properties because they were not agricultural societies, marriages were not agreed at birth, so men married or coupled with women of their own choosing with "magical traits" (blonde hair and blue eyes).After 10 generations, the blonde hair and blue eyes mutations were predominant in those primitive societies in which "free love" was widespread.Around the Mediterranean and in most Western Europe, marriages were agreed at birth, so blue eyes and blonde hair were not important. The only thing important was land and properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History