Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times

Advertisements

LOL!! They'd be more apt to spit at me than into a vial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudy rose View Post
lol!! They'd be more apt to spit at me than into a vial :d

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
You must be joking.

Light skin compared to who? The frequency of blue eyes in southern italy, greece, and spain is very low compared to Northern European countries. You can't fool me I studied population genetics before going to grad school. I am simply comparing Italians particularly those from southern italy and sicily to Anglo Saxons. Sicilians are noticably darker then those from northern europe. In fact I would go as far and say that many Sicilians look more lebanesse or Turkish then their brothers to the north.

Dark hair, dark eyes, and olive complexion (which yes is dark compared to Germans, swedes and Brits) is common place in Italy.

Alot of so called "blondes" in italy bleach their hair. Just like alot of blondes in Greece and Turkey. The map below is pretty obvious and if you travel extensively their is a marked difference between Italians living in the south compared to those living in the north. The original inhabitants (the etruscans) of the Italian pennisula came from Asia Minor and the eastern mediterrean.

The map of the percentage of light hair in Europe is not really accurate as its very common for people to migrate from one region to another. In additon that map was created in the 19th century and there are millions of non european immigratants that have migrated there. In addition european migrants have immigrated from large numbers from one European nation to another. Spain is an example where large number of people from other european countries that have immigrated to that country.

Anyway I live in a country where most of the people have origins in north west Europe like UK and IReland, and its very common for people here to die their hair blonde. But of course you could tell the difference with people with origins there not by their hair colour but tone of skin. There are even some blonde hair blue eyed people that have part Aboriginal ansestors as well but their skin tone is not really light compared to someone that is native from the UK, and they can have darker skin tone than the typical Italian as well.

Anyway you mentioned about Asia minor. There is a part of Asia minor that was settled by Celts thousands of years ago. Even though most Turks look a typical med with dark hair with dark eyes with olive skin, I have seen Turks that would not look out of place as places such as Northern Europe, in skin tone, eye colour and even natural blonde hair colour but they are a minority. But of course during the Ottoman empire it was active in the slave trade of Slavs, even they sponsored raids to capture slaves from Britain, Ireland and even as remote places such as Iceland so that may also explain that.

Last edited by other99; 02-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 AM

248 posts, read 616,071 times
Blonde hair and blue eyes originated 10.000 years ago between the Black and Caspian sea and was brought into Europe and Indoeuropean invaders (R1b).

The fact that blonde hair and blue eyes are more frequent in Northen Europe is due to SELECTIVE BREEDING.

In Northern Europe, human populations were hunter-gatherers and agriculture was almost non-existent, so there was no PROPERTY to be inherited.

In other words, in those primitive societies MATE selection was not based on PROPERTY (as in South Europe), but on the beauty and magical traits (blonde hair and blue eyes), so blondes and blue eyed people (both recessive traits) became very abondant in Northern Europe.

No so in Souther Europe, where MATE SELECTION was base on PROPERTY.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 AM

Gosh if only the hair color genes would once again mutate for purple since that's my fave color as i'd love to see woman with long flowing purple hair

Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
I thought R1Bs were paleolithic people from the North, basically cave men. The peoples from between the Black and Caspian Seas such as the Sarmatians were mainly Gs who were descended from neolithic people originally from between the Tigris and Euphrates.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Blonde hair and blue eyes originated 10.000 years ago between the Black and Caspian sea and was brought into Europe and Indoeuropean invaders (R1b).

The fact that blonde hair and blue eyes are more frequent in Northen Europe is due to SELECTIVE BREEDING.

In Northern Europe, human populations were hunter-gatherers and agriculture was almost non-existent, so there was no PROPERTY to be inherited.

In other words, in those primitive societies MATE selection was not based on PROPERTY (as in South Europe), but on the beauty and magical traits (blonde hair and blue eyes), so blondes and blue eyed people (both recessive traits) became very abondant in Northern Europe.

No so in Souther Europe, where MATE SELECTION was base on PROPERTY.
Well how do you explain the Sami people that have lived in scandaniva for at least 2500 years and are not considered part of the nordic race, even though they have nordic traits due to intermarriage?

Last edited by other99; 02-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-12-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Unless you can give us a study link then i doubt that's the case.

Almost all those Scandinavian countries are very high in ''haplogroup I'' and not of R1b like you just suggested and secondly most research shows that the R1b groups came up from Anatolia from the southeast and not across the north and so i doubt they much to do with carrying the blonde hair gene MC1R into Europe.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I thought R1Bs were paleolithic people from the North, basically cave men. The peoples from between the Black and Caspian Seas such as the Sarmatians were mainly Gs who were descended from neolithic people originally from between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Almost all of the R1b's were probably Neoliths as they arrived in Europe around 10,000 years ago and it took them another 5000 years etc. to migrate to the far reaches of western Europe as that's why they are the dominate haplogroup in that region today.

Cava .... are you sure that you are just Y-haplo G and not the newer mutated forms as G2a is the predominate G group found in Europe and very rare at that. I haven't studied every haplogroup but i believe they have all mutated numerous times over thousands of years do to migrations as even the R1b has many subclades today (R1b1a, R1b1b etc.) and was an R1a thousands of years earlier and thousands of years before that just an R which mutated from Y-haplogroup P etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 AM

248 posts, read 616,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
-----

R1b corresponds to the second wave of Indoeuropean invaders that arrived in Europe quite recently, as late as 4.000 to 5.000 years ago.
They were the Maykop Culture.
They were Indoeuropean invaders that used metals, copper, horses and wiped most of the original European population.
R1a corresponds to an early wave of Indoeuropean invaders that never reached Western Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History