Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Roman emperor??
Julius Caesar 4 8.51%
Augustus Caesar 12 25.53%
Tiberius 2 4.26%
Caligula 3 6.38%
Claudius I 7 14.89%
Nero 5 10.64%
Constantine I 5 10.64%
Diocletian 2 4.26%
Maxentius 1 2.13%
Vespanian 4 8.51%
Titus 3 6.38%
Domitian 1 2.13%
Other 17 36.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Trajan...just because he built the column, and Louisa May Alcott saw an icicle under his nose in winter--what happens to vain people.

Marcus Aurelius--expanded the city limits to the greatest; always depicted riding a horse, seen at Fry's in Fountain Valley (disgracefully, his head is missing.)

Hadrian--expanded the national borders to the greatest.

Hadrian was a great builder too. He comissioned and helped design the Pantheon which introduced the world to the "dome".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I checked Other. I'm going to go with Pertinax. I usually root for the underdog, and he had a cool beard.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Aurelian and Probus:
Think about a Caesar in all his pomp and glory of absolute power. Can you imagine replacing the imperial palace with the walls of a Persian prison? How amusing would you find the term "imperial slave". LOL.

Never since the seat of Caesar was put on sale, which was foolishly bought by Didius Julianus only to be tragically executed by the Praetorian guard, who offered the sale in the first place anyway, did the seat of the emperor get vilified so much as with Valerian.

Valerian does not deserve this though, he was a fairly good emperor and all of a sudden he found himself stranded in battle with the Persians.

He simply could not flee. Before he could run to his chariot, Shapur had his hand on his tail.

Shapur I of Persia captured Valerian and paraded his imperial slave before his own legions in every future battle with his Roman enemies. Can one imagine a Roman adversary mounting on to his horse using the back of Caesar himself? Julius Caesar did that to the King of Gauls. It's funny how fate oscillates in history.

The emasculation of the empire was thus complete. Collapse was imminent. But Aurelian showed up just in time.

Aurelian was among the first of the efficient "barracks emperors". He quickly fought a series of battles. He was a brute known for his mercilessness and this disciplined the P. guard and the legions temporarily. He still got assassinated by them, though.

Probus carried on Aurelian's campaign effectively from where he left off.

These two guys effectively restored Rome to 60% of its old glory.....

Guess the only guys in the poll left now are the Flavians. I never liked them a lot anyway. They were lucky they closely followed Augustus and were lucky again for the "Five Good Emperors" to closely follow suit. It's therefore very difficult to assess their true skills as emperors as they are well placed chronologically, but I still wanna give it a shot some time later.

<back to work>
How eloquent I was in my youth.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Somebody do a worst emperor list?

Didius Julianus (bought the crown, yet killed by the Pee guard)
Domitian
Elagabalus

My current hobby is in-depth research on Diocletian's coinage reforms. A must read for every currency trader, but very few currency traders have read this. It's also an economist's handbook in fiscal reform. Much like the study of the depression.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 PM

The Flavians as I mentioned before are also the luckiest of emperors, between the Julius line and closely follow by the five. Otherwise, someone like Domitian would have wrecked the empire.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Marcus Aurelius
Augustus
Vespasian
Titus

Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM

472 posts, read 924,944 times
I went for Claudius, the one halfway decent guy among the Caesars.

The obvious choice would be Marcus Aurelius, but I often wonder if he just lucked out, coming to the purple before things started to go pearshape. Had he reigned fifty years later, would his tenure have been any longer than the Gordians?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Marcus Aurelius
Augustus
Vespasian
Titus
Add Trajan. The empire was the largest in his tenure.

Trajan has been lionized by posterity, though he had issues with pederasty, which again is claimed to be a christian invention.

Most of these emperors were thugs. Some of them got exonerated by the whims of Christendom. Like Alexander the Great.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
My favorite Roman emperor is NERO him crushed di British rebellion with him mighty hand
many people seh Indians were savages and Negros good for nothing savages but 2,000 years ago di west was di cradle of savagery and vampires, according to mighty NERO and others of
old times.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Marcus Aurelius.

However, Claudius gets an attaboy from me for writing two bitchin' novels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History