Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,341,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It hit hard, and there probably wasn't a family that didn't feel its chill touch. Going through the cedar chest one day, I found a postcard in my grandmother's teenage handwriting. It said that the family had been to visit Emma (her little sister) in the hospital, that she seemed to be getting better and they hoped she would be home soon. She never did. I grew up visiting Aunt Emma's little grave.
My mother was born in Northern Michigan during the height of the Spanish Influenza pandemic. Both my mother and grandmother survived, they were one of only two families in Alpena where both the mother and child survived. Don't know why their family should have been spared, but to my knowledge, none of my mother's five siblings ever got sick either. Of course, in those days, everyone left their doors unlocked. My grandfather would get up in the morning, go down and put a fire in the kitchen stove, start the coffee and put a pan of oatmeal on to cook. Then he would go to every house on the block where there was influenza, let himself in the back door, build a fire in the stove, and set the coffee and oatmeal to cooking before leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,341,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Lother---Even weirder was a wacko who blew up a school in Michigan with a time bomb back around 1920.

Then he showed up at the school just after the explosion, approached the school board superintendant and blew himself and other guy up.

Ahh, here we go

Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bernice Sterling, the young teacher who survived the bombing and provided eyewitness testimony, never gave up her love of teaching and devotion to children. Some 20 years after the disaster, she was still teaching, both my sisters were among her students.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,427,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
My grandfather would get up in the morning, go down and put a fire in the kitchen stove, start the coffee and put a pan of oatmeal on to cook. Then he would go to every house on the block where there was influenza, let himself in the back door, build a fire in the stove, and set the coffee and oatmeal to cooking before leaving.
When we help our neighbors for no other reason than that we should help our neighbors, we build real community. Looks like you got great genetics of that kind.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:36 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,260,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nothing there.
I know, I went to check it out the other day to see if there had been any updates, and it appears as though their account is suspended. Shame, really.

The Wikipedia article on the subject is fairly accurate, however.

New London School explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,260,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nothing there.
The site is back up at a different URL:

http://www.newlondonschool.org

The gentleman who maintained the site passed on recently and took with him the website information. However, colleagues were able to restore the content at a different URL by virtue of the fact that someone had discovered that Bill Grigg (the website's late designer) had a backup of the information files and graphics.

You should check it out; it is as fascinating as it is saddening.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM

625 posts, read 1,878,238 times
Thank you all for a VERY interesting thread!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM

594 posts, read 1,775,734 times
One of the nearly forgotten chapters of WWII is the Lapland War, so named for the hostilities that broke out between the German and Finnish military after Finland negotiated a separate peace treaty with Russia in September of 1944. A stipulation in the peace agreement insisted on by Stalin was that Finland would ensure that all German troops be removed from Finnish soil. The agreement placed Finland under difficult time constraints. However, the Germans were slow to withdraw. The Finns took action to force the Germans out. The ensuing hostilities over several months resulted in the destruction of many towns in Lapland and necessitated the removal of thousands of civilians. Several hundred Finnish soldiers and over a thousand German troops died in the fighting.The Lapland War was the third in a series of three conflicts fought by the Finns, the first being the Winter War of 1939-40 and the second called the Continued War as allies with Germany on the Eastern Front. The following links give more details:

Lapland War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

www.rajajoki.com/lapland.htm

Last edited by John Walmsley; 07-21-2009 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Checked accuracy of link

Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,588,747 times
Great thread. Keep it up.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 AM

873 posts, read 1,799,245 times
The relatively recent attack on the USS Liberty has been pretty much covered up and ignored, which is shameful. Many survivors are still alive and have tried to speak out but get very little coverage. Some of the enemy pilots engaged in the attack have also come forward with the truth but they too are threatened and silenced.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM

594 posts, read 1,775,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
The relatively recent attack on the USS Liberty has been pretty much covered up and ignored, which is shameful. Many survivors are still alive and have tried to speak out but get very little coverage. Some of the enemy pilots engaged in the attack have also come forward with the truth but they too are threatened and silenced.
This has become one of the "untouchable" stories of history. Interestingly, President Johnson broke with the historic tradition of holding commendation ceremonies at the White House, and recognized the valor of the Liberty skipper Commander William McGonagle and his men in a quiet service at the Washington Naval Yard. It seems to be a sealed story, so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History