Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,406 times

Advertisements

My parents who are in their 70s are always complaining about the people now days. They say that there has always been crazy people in the world for all of history, they are convinced that in the last few years there is a higher percentage of nut cases and people who do not deal well with others than ever in history.

They are convinced that there must be some bug going around that is slowly turning the world crazier. I do read that there is more people diagnosed with mental illness than ever before. There is more people with Autism and depression than ever before.

Another perspective would be there has always been an equal number of crazy and mentally ill folks but now days just more are diagnosed.

Though my parents say there is more dysfunction today than anytime in history. Any historians want to reply?

(I am not talking in total numbers- but as a percentage of the population)

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 04-20-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Higher population means more people in absolute numbers, maybe not a higher percentage. Also, the 24 hour, instant information, news cycle plays a part.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:47 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
No. There is just more readily disseminated information about them. Plus, a bunch of mental issues society used to tell people to 'just get over', are now babied and coddled as syndromes, dysfunctions and disorders, to the point where you are not weird for being on medication for your syndromes; you are weird for taking no medication and embracing no syndromes. In fact, if they haven't yet defined that as a dysfunction itself--call it Syndrome Denial Disorder--they'll do so as soon as a pharmaceutical company figures out a drug to sell you to 'correct' it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
No. There is just more readily disseminated information about them. Plus, a bunch of mental issues society used to tell people to 'just get over', are now babied and coddled as syndromes, dysfunctions and disorders, to the point where you are not weird for being on medication for your syndromes; you are weird for taking no medication and embracing no syndromes. In fact, if they haven't yet defined that as a dysfunction itself--call it Syndrome Denial Disorder--they'll do so as soon as a pharmaceutical company figures out a drug to sell you to 'correct' it.
either extreme isn't right. 'just get over it' isn't going to work anymore than extreme coddling. issues have to be addressed.

i've seen issues of 'just get over it' popping back up down the line in other ways. reality doesn't make things just go away but neither does taking medication for everything as it usually just masks the symptoms. symptoms and the underlying problem has to be addressed and a holistic approach combined with necessary modern medicine and technology can be the most effective right now.

Quote:
My parents who are in their 70s are always complaining about the people now days. They say that there has always been crazy people in the world for all of history, they are convinced that in the last few years there is a higher percentage of nut cases and people who do not deal well with others than ever in history.

They are convinced that there must be some bug going around that is slowly turning the world crazier. I do read that there is more people diagnosed with mental illness than ever before. There is more people with Autism and depression than ever before.

Another perspective would be there has always been an equal number of crazy and mentally ill folks but now days just more are diagnosed.

Though my parents say there is more dysfunction today than anytime in history. Any historians want to reply?

(I am not talking in total numbers- but as a percentage of the population)
your parents are a product of their time just like anyone else along with all the ignorance, beliefs and blindspots as well.

to even believe there is more dysfunction today is almost unbelievable considering the past century was the bloodiest and one of the most dysfunctional. even historians have commented that they hope the next generation learns from this and not to repeat it.

sociopaths often were just labeled as being charismatic or wife-beaters were just a symptom of frustration with life etc. children being abused was called 'spare the rod, spoil the child' etc. there was a lot of dysfunction in the past, it may have been viewed differently. when things are bad and enough of it is bad where it is more common, it ends up being more excused rather than looked on as a dysfunction because it is also coddling a weakness rather than challenging it.

i can use the example of older relatives who are traditional and have the same viewpoint that people were more moral and things were better in the past. i always wondered how dishonest you have to be and the cogitive disassociation you have to exercise to believe it.

they believe they are more "moral" because they stayed married even though there was adultery and abuse in the relationship than others who are unwed. it didn't matter that they were nasty to eachother and married out of convenience rather than real love either. this is an example (i'm not saying your parents are this way, they may be very good people) of the kind of blindness that people have and construe certain things while they ignore a lot of other trash going on.

so no, there was a lot of dysfunction in the recent past and from way before that, of course!

Last edited by leaana; 04-20-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
either extreme isn't right. 'just get over it' isn't going to work anymore than extreme coddling. issues have to be addressed.

i've seen issues of 'just get over it' popping back up down the line in other ways. reality doesn't make things just go away but neither does taking medication for everything as it usually just masks the symptoms. symptoms and the underlying problem has to be addressed and a holistic approach combined with necessary modern medicine and technology can be the most effective right now.
It would be great if people did more of that. However, most people don't want to sit down and say to themselves: "Self, you have a problem. You will have to do real work in order to find out the root of that problem and deal with it. This won't be easy." They'd rather just take the happy pills. It's so much easier than locking their minds into a room until they honestly face the truth. That is addressing issues. The drugs are just mental anesthetics that will effect change only for so long as one takes the drug. And if you take it, you have no idea how you really feel. You know how you feel with a drug applied, but the drug isn't reality. It's a drug. Any taking of a drug to deal with a mental issue should be viewed as a fundamental surrender and failure. I don't understand why people brag about the drugs they're on. If I was on them, I'd be embarrassed. It would be like admitting or discussing incontinence. I sure wouldn't broadcast it, at the very least.

The only thing about my stance on this that makes me throw up in my mouth at all is that it happens to concur with some basic views of the Corporation of Scientology. But that can't be helped. Nearly all evils have elements of accidental good somewhere in them.

I know modern society doesn't agree with me. (It did through most of history, though.) Don't care; in fact, that's a good sign, because as far as I'm concerned, society is by and large wrong on most issues. I know the mental health profession violently disagrees with me. Considering how little all their studies seem to have done to help most of them deal with their own issues, that's just the way I prefer it. And considering their role in helping us become the Drugged Nation, they have a lot to answer for. At least one person will hold them accountable.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,935 times
Quote:
It would be great if people did more of that. However, most people don't want to sit down and say to themselves: "Self, you have a problem. You will have to do real work in order to find out the root of that problem and deal with it. This won't be easy." They'd rather just take the happy pills. It's so much easier than locking their minds into a room until they honestly face the truth. That is addressing issues. The drugs are just mental anesthetics that will effect change only for so long as one takes the drug. And if you take it, you have no idea how you really feel. You know how you feel with a drug applied, but the drug isn't reality. It's a drug. Any taking of a drug to deal with a mental issue should be viewed as a fundamental surrender and failure. I don't understand why people brag about the drugs they're on. If I was on them, I'd be embarrassed. It would be like admitting or discussing incontinence. I sure wouldn't broadcast it, at the very least.

The only thing about my stance on this that makes me throw up in my mouth at all is that it happens to concur with some basic views of the Corporation of Scientology. But that can't be helped. Nearly all evils have elements of accidental good somewhere in them.

I know modern society doesn't agree with me. (It did through most of history, though.) Don't care; in fact, that's a good sign, because as far as I'm concerned, society is by and large wrong on most issues. I know the mental health profession violently disagrees with me. Considering how little all their studies seem to have done to help most of them deal with their own issues, that's just the way I prefer it. And considering their role in helping us become the Drugged Nation, they have a lot to answer for. At least one person will hold them accountable.
Could not agree more..my 2 cents!!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
IMHO there are no more crazy people today then in the past. Our society, its moral and its perceptions has changed.
1) As already mentioned, many cases were undisclosed and were kept secret because of public shame and embarrassment. Today, this element is mostly gone.
2) Mass media amplifies (and sometimes distorts) many cases. As a result, the whole world is aware of them. Cases of mass shootings inspire other deranged individuals who want to get attention at any cost. I am convinced that if mass shootings were not reported the way they are, we would see a significant decline of such incidents.
3) Mass consumption of drugs - both legal and illegal.

Last edited by oberon_1; 04-20-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,533 times
Quote:

well, there is always alcohol and cigarettes which have been in use even more so and they definitely aren't any better either. i would have to admit they are worse.

Last edited by leaana; 04-20-2009 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Could not agree more..my 2 cents!!

I 2nd that

Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
well, there is always alcohol and cigarettes which have been in use even more so and they definitely aren't any better either. i would have to admit they are worse.
Actually, it's funny you mention that. I happened to spot a book at a used bookstore (mainly because it was written by a prof at my good old alma mater) that discusses this topic:

The Alcoholic Republic

To judge by Rorabaugh, this country was a nation of drunkards from the Revolution well into the 1830s. Some of the drinking he describes is quite hardcore. I haven't finished the book yet, because I'm out of vodka, but I'm looking forward to seeing how well he supports his premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History