Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times

Advertisements

I saw a fascinating documentary a few nights ago about the Japanese Kamikaze pilots. One thing that struck me was how some US Navy pilots also said they would've done Kamikaze attacks too if they were put in the same desperate position the Japanese were in.

So, here is my question:

Would Americans have done some kind of "suicide" attacks on Japanese forces if Japan was about to invade America? Knowing how the Japanese treated their prisoners, I am thinking many American pilots would probably dive their heavily loaded B25 bombers into the heart of a Japanese aircraft carrier.

What's the real difference between a Kamikaze attack and a soldier grenading himself on an enemy machine gun nest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
No. Only "cowards" (and Muslims, which is the same thing) do things like that, and we have no cowards.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The US mindset wouldn't really allow for planned suicide attacks although some missions were kind of that anyway. The difference was/is that our guys always allow for a way out.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Most cultures believe they're the only correct ones, and there are various attitudes about suicide. Some, like the Kamikaze pilots, did it for their Emperor. Others do it to get to Heaven (among other things). Americans value life and find suicide unacceptable except in the most extreme cases, such as Army Pfc. Ross McGinnis of Knox, Pa. who died saving 4 crewmen of a Hummer last week in Iraq by diving on a grenade when he could have easily avoided injury by simply jumping out of the way. There is a big difference in planned suicide and a split-second decision. Is it nature or nuture?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No. Only "cowards" (and Muslims, which is the same thing) do things like that, and we have no cowards.
I find this way of thinking to be both funny and sad.

I wonder how many people of this opinion would be "cowardly" enough to give their life for what they feel is right, rather than letting someone else do it for them, then claiming victory and superiority for themselves.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Knowing how the Japanese treated their prisoners, I am thinking many American pilots would probably dive their heavily loaded B25 bombers into the heart of a Japanese aircraft carrier.

?
Well I think there is a difference between the thoughts of "i"m going to intenionaly kill myself " and "I'm not going to be taken alive".. with the latter your still looking for away out..
and no I doubt that we would have had Kamakazi attacks on the Japanese fleet. But when they hit our shores they would discover the second ammendment for sure.....

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
I'm not sure all the Japanese pilots were willing.. I've seen documentaries where they were strapped into their planes with only enough fuel to get to the target...so what choice did they have???

Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
I'm not sure all the Japanese pilots were willing.. I've seen documentaries where they were strapped into their planes with only enough fuel to get to the target...so what choice did they have???
Not much different than the way a lot of our young men and women die, if you think about it. In most cases, they have no choice either.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The philosophy of the Kamikaze was that they could be fairly sure of scoring a direct hit. Almost exactly, in every respect, the tactic that was used on the WTC on 9/11.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
The Japanese knew that their kamikaze attacks were not going to be enough to stop the US invasion. What they were going for was the psychological effect. It was all they could do at that point. Many kamikaze pilots did not agree with that thinking, but most of them did it anyways. The Japanese people were already ready and willing to fight to the last man. Each women was trained with a bamboo spear, etc. Would Americans react the same way if our country was being invaded by such a vicious military?

Could one say the Doolittle raid was some sort of early "Kamikaze" attack? If I recall, most of the pilots didn't think they were going to make it...and it wouldn't do much damage to the target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History