Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
Both Germany and Japan committed atrocities during the war

It is a fact that we can't talk about on the forum?

There are numerous scholars who compared the two nations and identify some similarity in the two, we can't talk about it either?

I have plenty of respect for the two nations in other respects. For one, they both make the best teamwork and engineers!
I'm not a moderator. I don't say what we can or can't talk about; the mods do. I just saw your bigoted statement and called it what it was. You keep responding to things no one said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Are you having trouble understand: go away?
No, I'm simply declining to obey your commands. To bring this back around to topic, much as the Soviet POWs refused their military's standing orders never to surrender, and thus got themselves in a lot of hot water when they got home.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post

Did most die in the German camps?
Meanwhile back at the Stalag...

Not only were Soviet POW's treated to the worst possible conditions in POW camps, hundreds of thousands met their death at the Nazi's most notorious concentration camps, like Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachau, Chelmno, and Sobibor.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I was thinking about all the Soviet POW's that were captured by Germany especially during Operation Barbarossa where Germany captured whole armies at a time and so i thought there were close to 2 to 3 million prisoner's alone in that 6 month operation much less the entire war.

Did most die in the German camps?
An estimated 3 of every 100 survived German captivity, those captured in the early staged of Barbarossa were likely doomed unless they switched over to support the Wehrmacht. Amazingly, in many battles, especially in the desperation of Stalingrad, the rear guard of German retreats were made up of "Hiwi's", Soviets who swtiched sides, likely many being from former independent countries that fell under Stalin's boot heel and communist collectivization of the 1930's. Hence, no love lost. Yet many fought loyally with the Germans until the bitter end, as they would in Stalingrad as well, and which would have been a particularly gruesome fate to fall into your former comrades hands if not fighting till your death. Many undoubtedly knew there would be no other alternative to this. Someone has already mentioned Vlasov, who was a Soviet General who was captured and convinced to support the Germans and recruit other POW's for this particularly dangerous idea of fighting your former comrades. They would all perish. Vlasov was taken alive and reportedly boiled in acid. Many POW's were forcibly repatriated at wars end, there are reports of mass attempts at escape from trains returning to the Soviet Union, and therefore were closely guarded. Repatriation for many of those extremely fortunate to survive captivity was like a trip to prison instead, which awaited almost all of them. Stalin never trusted POW's, nor did he allow others to. After the shock of Barbarossa wore off, and into 1942, for many Russians the option of surrender was removed, and they were viewed as failures and cowards if they were captured, hence, the willingness of Soviets to fight to the death (as well as "blocking battalions" which were specially trained soldiers who shot those attempting retreat)

Last edited by odanny; 05-12-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 PM

434 posts, read 933,684 times
Vlasov was hanged after trial

Stalin asked for the photo of his hanging

It is published in one book I read in the past

Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
Let's please stay On Topic...Thank you

Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Vlasov was hanged after trial

Stalin asked for the photo of his hanging

It is published in one book I read in the past
There is no definitive proof he was hanged.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 PM

434 posts, read 933,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There is no definitive proof he was hanged.
I saw the photo of him being hanged in the book (can't recall the name of the book now)

No proof to whom? Proof to me already!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Again lot's of great answers from everyone as i finally now know what happened to them .

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I have read several accounts around Staligrad where captured personnel on both sides were either immediately shot or interrogated and then shot...no prison camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History