U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM

20,460 posts, read 24,107,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Oh, and of course the Apollo 8 Moon Landing in 1969, saw it on black and white TV too (I was in England back ten, in summerschool).
You mean Apollo 11.
Apollo 8 just circled the moon (in late 1968).

Ken
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 12:37 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,319,654 times
The 1984 Olympics.

I remember watching Mary Lou Retton win her gold medal in the vault. Fascinating athlete she was!!

And Carl Lewis winning all his 4 gold medals (100, 200 meter dashes, long jump, and member of the 4X100 meter relay team).

Also, when Mary Decker Slaney fell down. I was very heartbroken when that happened. I was yelling on the T.V. set and telling her, "GET UP!! RUN!! GET UP, DON'T GIVE UP!!". But to me, she's still one of the greatest female distance runners ever. That damn Zola Budd!!

These wonderful athletes made a huge impression on me. I started in gymnastics and ballet after this, but only stayed in them for 1 year. Then I switched over to running. Running is my thing, even to this day (but I run longer distances now).

Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 PM

61,305 posts, read 79,709,203 times
cuban missile crisis.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,031,184 times
The Berlin wall going up almost overnight. The Cuban missle crisis, my teacher listening to the radio in class, crying.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 09-04-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 5,859 times
The Cuban Missile Crisis. I was around 10, didn't really comprehend what was going on, just knew Mom and Dad were really scared, so of course we all were, too.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 AM

26,345 posts, read 86,815,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I remember on the news - every night about Saigon Saigon Saigon... the Vietnam war of course.
Yep, "B-52s" and "casualties" were words I remember hearing on the news radio in the early late 1960s, early 1970s.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyra View Post
they added "One nation under god" to the Pledge...I thought it was terrible...
It still is terrible. So is "In god we trust".

Here's my Alabama license plate version of another annoying slogan:

Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
No doubt, Apollo 11. Of all global events, this (I think) was the most fantastic and enduring event.
No doubt. It still boggles my mind. I work in aerospace now and with all the hurdles and hoops and bureaucracy and inefficiencies we deal with every day I still don't know how the US put a man on the moon in nine years (five out of six times in four years) when engineers didn't have desktop computers, email, Excel, hand held calculators, etc.

Whenever something totally frustrating happens at work (like being told it will take three days for an IT guy to replace toner or you need to fill out a form to get a light bulb changed) I exclaim out loud "We never put a man on the moon - No Way - not this country."

Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The first significant historical event of my life was the Challenger explosion. One of my high school teachers was a candidate to be on that flight, and to this day it breaks my heart.
I started a thread on the Los Angeles forum or CA forum something like "What where you doing when...." I remember vividly finding out about the Challenger Explosion. I was in college warming up for a softball PE class. I was tossing a ball back and forth with one of those dudes who always wore a yarmulke and he asked me if I heard about the shuttle explosion. He was wearing gray sweats and a white T-Shirt.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...what-were.html

Maybe I'll start one on the history forum.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,690,255 times
The main events that I remember as a kid:

1. Challenger explosion. I remember how everyone felt and how upset my teacher was. The image of President Reagan giving his speech and the words he spoke was very impactful even for a kid.

2. Berlin Wall coming down. I remember what a momentous occasion it was and watching people celebrating in the streets. We had a teacher in the local high school who was from Germany and had family in the East. She came and talked to our school and she cried just talking about what it meant to her.

3. The first Gulf War. My dad was in the National Guard, but had been active Army for 30 years or so before that. He was put on notice that he might have to go and I remember his bags sitting in the dining room. He got the call and packed up and headed out. I remember watching him leave and then being glued to the TV as the war started and waiting every night hoping he would call. The day he came home was huge and I never saw my mom cry so much in her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History