U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,967,726 times

Advertisements

Although I remember Elvis dying and Evil Knievels Snake River Canyon jump, being that I lived in FL at the time I can remember Ted Bundy's Chi Omega murders and the fear and sadness it caused.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM

20,068 posts, read 5,432,390 times
As I read the comments here I remember many different things. The duck and cover, called air raid drills at our school, in the 50's, seemed odd to me, even as I child I didn't think being under a desk would help much.
My husband was one of the unfortunate children to get polio just one year before vaccines were given out at school. He has a limp but felt lucky to get out of the iron lung. Many never did.
I guess the assassination of JKF, when I was in high school, was when I realized no one is safe. As some others believed, I thought the bad stuff was dealt with in WW2. I was too young during the Korean years, but by Vietnam I was more aware.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,364,281 times
I remember when tv's first came out my grandfather bought one for us. There were only three stations and they weren't 24/7 nor color.

I was puzzled too by the drills in anticipation of a nuclear attack. What good would being under a small open student desk going to do when you were squatting next to a wall of plate glass windows?

Our entire school was rounded up at one time in the gym in long lines to receive the new polio shots.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,550,415 times
One of the first news events I saw on television was the 1952 Democratic Convention. Estes Kefauver had the delegate lead going in, but not a majority, and after about six ballots, and lots of arm twisting, the majority finally went to Adlai Stevenson, who a week earlier refused to be a contender. The conventions were very exciting then with state by state delegate votes being announced and recounted, with the final tally never predicatable.

A year later, the McCarthy hearings got the spotlight.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 AM

469 posts, read 1,062,369 times
Me too except I was in 5th grade at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The first significant historical event of my life was the Challenger explosion. One of my high school teachers was a candidate to be on that flight, and to this day it breaks my heart.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 AM

27,236 posts, read 43,155,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
When I was six, I was so oblivious that I didn't even know that JFK had been assassinated. However, the day of the funeral, I came home either from playing outside or from school, I can't remember which, and saw my mom crying while she watched it on television. I can still see the images from it in my mind (in black and white, of course). My mom explained to me what had happened, but I think I was more nonplussed than anything else. But it definitely left an impression of, "this is huge."

After that, it would be the various Gemini launches. I became pretty obsessed by what was going on with the space program during my elementary school years. Bobby Kennedy's assassination pretty much killed the buzz from that, though. This country seemed to be making so much great progress and then that happened.

So how about you?
Hostages in Iran. 444 days.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM

3,224 posts, read 6,563,634 times
In seventh grade journalism class, we had to watch Night and Fog. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a French documentary that was made by the Allies when they liberated several concentration camps in Poland during WWII. It's a black and white film showing very graphic images of the camps, including the ovens, mass graves, piles of shoes, hair, bodies-you get the idea. Half the class was in tears, including myself. What got me was the close-ups of the gas chambers where you could see the fingernail marks in the ceilings where people tried to claw their way out. OMG.

That night I went home and asked my father, who is a German immigrant, all about WWII and Nazi Germany and I'll never forget the looked that passed over him.

Night and Fog is available on Youtube. I'm not sure now why we had to watch-obviously for the purpose of journalism. I do think it should be required viewing, however unsettling and disturbing it is.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 AM

21,527 posts, read 19,327,248 times
I remember the Apollo 13 mission. My parents were glued to the TV and I remember walking outside and looking up at the moon. I asked my dad to have the binoculars to see if I could see the spacecraft and he laughed and said no you can't see them its too far away and it's too small.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM

3,883 posts, read 5,269,529 times
I, like many of you, mark the JFK assasination as the first event that left a huge impression on me. I was in 4th grade. The entire grade school just got done watching the Junior class play matinee when a teacher got on the stage and announced that Kennedy had just been assasinated. I turned around and asked my teacher what assasinated meant. She didn't mince words looking directly at me saying firmly "SHOT DEAD".

That non-sugar coated response followed by all the happenings of the funeral during Thanksgiving vacation definitely left it's mark on me.

I also tuned in the TV just in time to watch Jack Ruby kill Lee Harvey Oswald. I remember running in my folks' bedroom to get them up right after that happened.

I was young, but this entire development was opening my eyes.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM

6,183 posts, read 5,311,685 times
Wow, I feel young. One thing that left an impression on me was GHW Bush checking his watch during a debate in the 1992 election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History