U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,668,225 times

Advertisements

The first historical event that I recall was the presidential campaign of 1960. A school mate saying that JFK couldn't be president because he was an Irish Catholic and we would be governed by the Pope in Rome. Being Irish Catholic myself I was very upset and told him that I'd been taught that anyone could grow up to be president. He then went on to tell me that even if an Irish Catholic could be president I still couldn't have the job because I was a girl. That mad me even madder and I asked the teacher who explained that even though there had never been an IC or girl yet it might happen some day and that maybe I would be the first female president.

On election night I stayed up all night to watch the returns and my folks let me even though they went to bed. I got to skip school so I could finally get some sleep later that morning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 13,649,076 times
I guess it was the Cuban Missile crisis in Oct 1962 and then the year after when JFK was killed.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,640,475 times
I'm only 23 but the first thing I remember was when the Advil or Aspirin plant was accidentally bombed, that seemed to have a big impact on me, nothing like 9/11 but that was later of coarse.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,654,256 times
The tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,805,275 times
When the Soviet Union sent tanks into Hungary to crush defenseless population, ca: 1956

Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 PM

48 posts, read 86,776 times
When I was 8 or so, I thought the cloning of Dolly the sheep was pretty cool.

More affecting was the Columbine shooting which happened when I was 10. At first, we all thought the parents were overreacting when they teamed up with the school admin to create the lockdown plan which we were forced to practiced religiously. Then I realized the full effect the shooting had on everyday school life. It seemed that students my age were more wary of the 'weird outcasts' and it turned out I wasn't the only one theorizing where I might hide or how I would escape from each class room or if I would even go on the offensive if I had to. I suppose we were more aware of our surroundings from then on.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:00 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,512,154 times
Moonlanding 1969

Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 24,107,119 times
JFK assassination.

Ken

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,979,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The main one when I was a kid was the polio epidemic. It was worse than aids because no one knew how to prevent it and it was a epidemic.
I was a kid when the first vaccine came out that they gave out free to everyone. We went to a bank where they were holding the clinic. My parents and the other adults were so thrilled and thankful but I admit I didn't get it.

It was only later that I discovered the year I was born, 1952, the highest number of polio cases were reported. One of my best friends in jr hi had had polio. Having a child myself, I can see how terrified my parents must have been for me.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,979,545 times
Having grown up in the 60's with all the turmoil, I remember life as a series of shocks until it all became "normal". But I distinctly remember staying home from school the day we were going to bomb cuba if the kremlin didn't blink. At ten I knew what a bomb was and how we all could be dead the next day. My dad stayed home from work too, so just in case we would be together. I even remember the joy when the other side blinked.

Kennedy's assaignation kind of completed the loss of innocence. First taught me that tomorrow we could all be dead, and that that there was nothing to trust as safe. Others who were shot were mourned, but it wasn't something that I believed impossible anymore.

Nothing hit me as hard as that until 9-11. Life had dealt some very hard things just before and the family broke. I remember looking at the people with the pictures of missing loved ones, tears falling. Somehow the mess my life had become became a lesser thing that day. I knew the people I cared for were not there but I knew they were alive, not like these tragic people.

Duck and cover, remember it well. We'd have it presented in our socal schools as not just to save you from the bomb. I mean, well, how? But it was the idea if we had an earthquake too which did make a bit of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History