U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Michigan
29,377 posts, read 53,445,086 times
Reputation: 21977

Advertisements

PLAINS — The house was haunted; everyone knew that. A shadowy figure peered from an upstairs window. Screams rent the night. There was that vanishing dog, too.



Carter site could become national park | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/stories/2009/05/31/jimmy_carter_historic_park.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
 
28,901 posts, read 51,934,619 times
Reputation: 46538
Wow. Think of the possibilities:

1) The Amazing Rubber Spine ride, where visitors are whipped around on a 50-foot elastic backbone, while loudspeakers blast out Jimmy Carter's foreign policy addresses.
2) The Incredible Shrinking Dollar Room. Through the creative use of mirrors, hold your dollar up, and it becomes one-half its original size.
3) The Cardigan Sweater museum.
4) The Malaise Hut, where people who are a bit down about their troubles are excoriated by a towering wax figure of our 39th President, who points at them and thunders down disapproval through pursed lips.
5) The Billy Beer Fountain.
6) Rosalyn's Bitter Basement.
7) Miss Lillian's Wacky Random Comment generator.
8) The Rabbit O'Death Boat Ride.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 PM
 
48,504 posts, read 93,376,322 times
Reputation: 18271
I'd think that Carter who basically is not liked then or now by the liberal wing of the democratic party which was and is still lead by Ted Kennedy.Even some of his own people from his administration took difference with him on what he wrote in his book.many liberals wil not say it but they actually blame Carter for years of being out of power in the white house.If he could egt anyone to introduce it ;it may not get to a vote or die from lack of support especailly with obama being in office.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,854 posts, read 48,970,736 times
Reputation: 58735
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. Think of the possibilities:

1) The Amazing Rubber Spine ride, where visitors are whipped around on a 50-foot elastic backbone, while loudspeakers blast out Jimmy Carter's foreign policy addresses.
2) The Incredible Shrinking Dollar Room. Through the creative use of mirrors, hold your dollar up, and it becomes one-half its original size.
3) The Cardigan Sweater museum.
4) The Malaise Hut, where people who are a bit down about their troubles are excoriated by a towering wax figure of our 39th President, who points at them and thunders down disapproval through pursed lips.
5) The Billy Beer Fountain.
6) Rosalyn's Bitter Basement.
7) Miss Lillian's Wacky Random Comment generator.
8) The Rabbit O'Death Boat Ride.
I can't even begin to compete with this post. It was hilarious and worthy of an email forward.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 AM
 
28,901 posts, read 51,934,619 times
Reputation: 46538
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I can't even begin to compete with this post. It was hilarious and worthy of an email forward.
Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if the History forum had totally lost its sense of humor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Flyover Country
26,223 posts, read 18,443,885 times
Reputation: 21658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. Think of the possibilities:

1) The Amazing Rubber Spine ride, where visitors are whipped around on a 50-foot elastic backbone, while loudspeakers blast out Jimmy Carter's foreign policy addresses.
2) The Incredible Shrinking Dollar Room. Through the creative use of mirrors, hold your dollar up, and it becomes one-half its original size.
3) The Cardigan Sweater museum.
4) The Malaise Hut, where people who are a bit down about their troubles are excoriated by a towering wax figure of our 39th President, who points at them and thunders down disapproval through pursed lips.
5) The Billy Beer Fountain.
6) Rosalyn's Bitter Basement.
7) Miss Lillian's Wacky Random Comment generator.
8) The Rabbit O'Death Boat Ride.
My goodness, can you imagine the George W. Bush museum?

1) Pictorial Review Center of mangled bodies of Iraqi war dead.
2) Secret black sites and prisons display (with Torture Rooms!)
3) Soup lines for all the broke and unemployed people
4) A Propaganda Room where you can sit and be lied to
5) The Stolen Election gallery, where brother Jeb is featured
6) The WMD room (currently under construction)
7) Climate Change Denial Center, where global warming claims are questioned

All coming soon to Texas!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
 
28,901 posts, read 51,934,619 times
Reputation: 46538
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
My goodness, can you imagine the George W. Bush museum?

1) Pictorial Review Center of mangled bodies of Iraqi war dead.
2) Secret black sites and prisons display (with Torture Rooms!)
3) Soup lines for all the broke and unemployed people
4) A Propaganda Room where you can sit and be lied to
5) The Stolen Election gallery, where brother Jeb is featured
6) The WMD room (currently under construction)
7) Climate Change Denial Center, where global warming claims are questioned

All coming soon to Texas!!
True. But my version is was funny, while yours was just a shrill polemic. What, did all Democrats just have their sense of humor surgically removed at birth? Quit being so earnest for a change.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-06-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 PM
 
48,504 posts, read 93,376,322 times
Reputation: 18271
Will Obama;'s be filed with IOUs and the remains of GM and chrylser cars as dinasaur exhibits.Wil it have a label saying made in China and funded by China.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Flyover Country
26,223 posts, read 18,443,885 times
Reputation: 21658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. But my version is was funny, while yours was just a shrill polemic. What, did all Democrats just have their sense of humor surgically removed at birth? Quit being so earnest for a change.

Earnest = truth

The truth aint funny, Your little compilation on Carter was funny because it was not true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
 
28,901 posts, read 51,934,619 times
Reputation: 46538
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Earnest = truth

The truth aint funny, Your little compilation on Carter was funny because it was not true.
Actually humor is funny because it contains a bit of truth, otherwise it becomes a non sequitur. Well, let's just do some fact-checking on the Carter Presidency, shall we?

The Russians went rampaging into Afghanistan during Carter's administration prior to causing two different coup d'etats, and the Iranians took 53 Americans hostage. But, hey, we did cancel our participation of the Olympics and drape yellow ribbons all over the place. Now that's action.

The inflation rate was in double digits throughout most of his presidency, 10% in 1978 and 1979, and 16% in 1980. Not to mention a 22% inflation rate implemented by Paul Volker to stop the runaway inflation inspired by Carter's fiscal policy. The plummet of the dollar was so bad that the countries of France, Britain, and Germany begged President Carter to do something, anything. Oh, and lest we forget, OPEC raised oil prices 50% in 1978 despite our begging, thereby throwing the world economy into a tailspin. But, hey, who's counting?

The President lectured us on national television to shake off our anxiety, citing a Crisis of Spirit, conveniently forgetting that it's the job of the President to provide leadership.

The President's brother was a drunken yokel who shilled on Capitol Hill to get arms for Qaddafi and the Libyans, while his mother loved to blurt out next to anything in front of a camera, including how she wished she had remained a virgin so her children would have never been born.

Rosalyn was famously "bitter" (Jimmy's words, not mine) about his losing the election.

And Jimmy was indeed charged by a rabbit while he was in his boat and had to drive the thing away with an oar in one of the most ridiculous presidential photos in history. However, given the fact that a rabbit thought it perfectly safe to bare its teeth and hiss while swimming directly at the president made a tidy little metaphor for his foreign policy. Here's a photo, just for you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Jimmycarter_rabbit.jpg (broken link)

But, here's the thing. I don't ***** (Here's a hint: It rhymes with shore) myself out to either the Democratic or Republican Party, who I consider to be nothing more than opposing bands of cynical thugs representing very tiny constituencies. So while I can actually take the criticism of Bush in stride because it is well deserved, you evidently cannot take criticism of one of the most manifestly incompetent presidents in American history. Carter and Bush II were both disasters in office. A poster who is honest could admit as much.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-06-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top