U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 AM

294 posts, read 643,170 times

Advertisements

During history has your towns population been massacred.

During the English civil war in 1644 my home towns population was massacred.

Bolton Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,701,247 times
Fort Dearborn Massacre in 1812. Potawatamis and Kickapoos attacked the Americans who'd abandoned the fort and were withdrawing to Fort Wayne. They were bushwhacked right in my neighborhood, at 18th and Prarie. The Indians had promised the Americans safe passage and betrayed them.

There used to be markers and a statue at the scene but they're all gone now, I guess remembering the massacre isn't PC and isn't proper bourgeois history. Just like there are no markers at the site of the St. Valentines Day Massacre, arguably the most famous event in Chicago history. Nor is there one at the Biograph Theater where John Dillenger was murdered by the police.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Fort Dearborn Massacre in 1812. Potawatamis and Kickapoos attacked the Americans who'd abandoned the fort and were withdrawing to Fort Wayne. They were bushwhacked right in my neighborhood, at 18th and Prarie. The Indians had promised the Americans safe passage and betrayed them.

There used to be markers and a statue at the scene but they're all gone now, I guess remembering the massacre isn't PC and isn't proper bourgeois history. Just like there are no markers at the site of the St. Valentines Day Massacre, arguably the most famous event in Chicago history. Nor is there one at the Biograph Theater where John Dillenger was murdered by the police.
No statues in bolton either the only thing that remains is ...ye olde man and scythe pub where the Earl of Derby was beheaded.

One of the oldest pubs in Britain.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,578,037 times
Here in Victoria Texas, the nearby settlement of Linnville was sacked and burned in 1840 by the Comanches, but all but four escaped.

The town I grew up developed around the state prison, but it was a state that has never had capital punishment, so there was no massacre there.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM

11,026 posts, read 24,915,861 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

I live 5 blocks from where this happend we used to ride our BMX's on his property

Last edited by Thyra; 06-20-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Please post Link.. not entire article

Old 06-20-2009, 12:33 PM

6,564 posts, read 13,042,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
During history has your towns population been massacred.

During the English civil war in 1644 my home towns population was massacred.
No, we never had a massacree. Our town was an insignificant thorp until the Manhattan Project. The nearest thing in the region to a massacree that I know of was the attack on the Whitman Mission (1840s?), about 30 miles from me toward Walla Walla. It was long called the Whitman Massacree because the Indians attacked and killed whites, and the way our history handled that is, if the Indians win, it's a massacree and if the whites win, it's a battle. It's a pretty nice site, with archaeological markers to where things happened and a small museum.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:17 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,578,037 times
I forgot to mention that when my mother still lived one block from that state prison, Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer were among her neighbors.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:20 PM

521 posts, read 1,388,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
No statues in bolton either the only thing that remains is ...ye olde man and scythe pub where the Earl of Derby was beheaded.

One of the oldest pubs in Britain.
You can murder the old, the women and the children, but if you mess with our pub.........

Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie bar View Post
you can murder the old, the women and the children, but if you mess with our pub.........

:d

Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,906,700 times
There are any number of War of 1812 battlefields around us. We almost a bought a house built in the 1820's on the Raisen River. There are two historical sites across the road. One was a settlement that was spared during an Indian uprising. A doctor lived there and was about the only person who treated the native people with respect.

Monroe County Michigan Museum Navarre Anderson Trading Post Complex

You can see how beautiful the setting is. We really wanted that house. The original land deed went back to the French, one of the full places in the U.S. to do so. Unfortunately, lighting hit a tree which fell on the house and burned it to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History