Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 PM

419 posts, read 1,920,982 times

Advertisements

I just watched WW2 Behind Closed Doors today and I must say it was very imformative about Stalin. It provided very interesting insite on the Russian occupation of Eastern Poland. The Katyn massacre was something I did not know about and am just now trying to understand why it happened. The Soviets finally admitted to this after 50 plus years.

WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West . Home | PBS

Hoover Institution - Hoover Digest - Remembering Katyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,788,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
I just watched WW2 Behind Closed Doors today and I must say it was very imformative about Stalin. It provided very interesting insite on the Russian occupation of Eastern Poland. The Katyn massacre was something I did not know about and am just now trying to understand why it happened. The Soviets finally admitted to this after 50 plus years.

WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West . Home | PBS

Hoover Institution - Hoover Digest - Remembering Katyn
Stalin wanted to completely subjugate Poland and make it part of the USSR. He figured by removing the intelligentsia it would be much easier.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,138 times
He was also still pissed that the Polish Army held the Red Army off after the Russian Revolution.

Contrary to the news reel version of WWII the Poles were still winning some fights with the Germans till they had to give up when the Russians invaded them from the east as well.
Polish Divisions did very well in Italy as did their Pilots in the Battle of Britain and Naval units as well.

All in all , the Poles had nothing to be ashamed of in WWII.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,162 times
Andrzej Wajda made a (oscar nominated) movie about it - Katyń. It's not as good as it could have been, but for history buffs it should be good enough.

Kaytyń is one of the symbols of the tragedy of the Polish people. Not because of the numbers of people dead, approximately 6 million Poles died during ww2. The most tragic part is that it was a part of a systematic elimination of polish intelligence. Germans did most of it, but with the 20,000 officers slaughtered in Katyń, Russians had quite a part in it too.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default Wajda films

I thank the previous poster for calling attention to Wajda. He is a masterful recreator of period atmospheres. Whether real or not, they are believable. Thus, his Ashes and Diamonds (one of my favorites) describes the interregnum period in Poland: Communists are taking over but forces loyal to the government in exile in London are still a factor. Starring in the film is Zbigniew Cybulski, Poland's James Dean.
Over the years, I have had several tapes of the film, including a pirated one I bought in Thailand. The best print is included in a CD box set that also includes A Generation and Kanal, the latter depicting Polish insurgents in the sewers of Warsaw.
Take a look at Ashes and Diamonds. It's like Casablanca: It grippingly recreates the past. Don't miss the lighting of vodka glasses as a tribute to fallen comrades. (I have always wanted to see whether in fact they can be lighted).

Old 09-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Yes indeed on Wajda !
Netfix has been a blessing, able to watch real art all the time instead of american pap.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM

73 posts, read 117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
He was also still pissed that the Polish Army held the Red Army off after the Russian Revolution.

Contrary to the news reel version of WWII the Poles were still winning some fights with the Germans till they had to give up when the Russians invaded them from the east as well.
Polish Divisions did very well in Italy as did their Pilots in the Battle of Britain and Naval units as well.

All in all , the Poles had nothing to be ashamed of in WWII.
the record of the polish forces fighting in the west is unmatched. the battle of britain, d-day, market garden, taking monte cassino, etc.. if there is shame it should go to britain which bowing to pressure from stalin would not let the poles take part in the victory parade, something which they had more than earned. shameful

Old 09-14-2009, 11:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I thank the previous poster for calling attention to Wajda. He is a masterful recreator of period atmospheres. Whether real or not, they are believable. Thus, his Ashes and Diamonds (one of my favorites) describes the interregnum period in Poland: Communists are taking over but forces loyal to the government in exile in London are still a factor. Starring in the film is Zbigniew Cybulski, Poland's James Dean.
Over the years, I have had several tapes of the film, including a pirated one I bought in Thailand. The best print is included in a CD box set that also includes A Generation and Kanal, the latter depicting Polish insurgents in the sewers of Warsaw.
Take a look at Ashes and Diamonds. It's like Casablanca: It grippingly recreates the past. Don't miss the lighting of vodka glasses as a tribute to fallen comrades. (I have always wanted to see whether in fact they can be lighted).
Katyn is in my Netflix que. Thanks for mentioning the other films-I look forward to checking them out.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue125 View Post
the record of the polish forces fighting in the west is unmatched. the battle of britain, d-day, market garden, taking monte cassino, etc.. if there is shame it should go to britain which bowing to pressure from stalin would not let the poles take part in the victory parade, something which they had more than earned. shameful

Brits have had many shameful incidents in their history(as have we)
but it terms of slighting honor due, this ranks right at the top !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History