Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No wonder the Blackfeet were hostile to American trappers.
Most historians believe that Blackfeet hostility toward Americans had its source in 1806.On its return journey,the Corp of Discovery (Lewis & Clark) killed two young Piegan Blackfeet when they tried to steal guns and horses from the expedition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Well, as a child of the 50's, I grew up with western tv shows. The toys from that era are worth a small fortune. I loved the Death Valley Days show, Lone Ranger, etc. Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry. There were wonderful hokey story lines, and "authentic" towns built from scratch for a film. Saloon girls, water troughs, undertakers, livery stables. Luckily I live out West. I meet Asian tourists who love all things "cowboy." An old wagon wheel ? They take 20 pictures of it. The pioneers, cowboys, and miners were a tough bunch.
The little town of Chloride is becoming a real ghost town. There are people still in it, and luckily, it hasn't sold out as a yuppie touristy vortex. A ghost town should be kind of gnarly, and have real life characters. You will absolutely find that out west.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Well, as a child of the 50's, I grew up with western tv shows. The toys from that era are worth a small fortune. I loved the Death Valley Days show, Lone Ranger, etc. Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry. There were wonderful hokey story lines, and "authentic" towns built from scratch for a film. Saloon girls, water troughs, undertakers, livery stables. Luckily I live out West. I meet Asian tourists who love all things "cowboy." An old wagon wheel ? They take 20 pictures of it. The pioneers, cowboys, and miners were a tough bunch.
The little town of Chloride is becoming a real ghost town. There are people still in it, and luckily, it hasn't sold out as a yuppie touristy vortex. A ghost town should be kind of gnarly, and have real life characters. You will absolutely find that out west.
Pioneer Town, where Gene Autry and some of his other shows like Annie Oakley were shot is in Yucca Valley Ca. It was badly damaged in a fire 3 years ago. I,ve seen some movies that were shot in Columbia State Historic Park, near Sonora Ca. You can actually stay right in the town.
I live near Tombstone and Bisbee, Tombstone is a touristy place while Bisbee has gone Hippie.

About 30 miles away is Mescal AZ, where probably 20% of Westerns were made. It's still a movie set. Then there is Old Tucson a tourist trap

Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,689 times
Since posting the note commenting about B. Traven's book The Treasure of Sierra Madre, I've found out a little more about the enigmatic author. Traven is known to have used several aliases for unknown reasons, although the best guess is that he ran afoul of the German authorities for his political views and moved to Mexico.

An online 1977 Time article suggests strongly that B. Traven was really German author Ret Marut. Apparently, director John Huston did meet a "surrogate" of B. Traven named "Hal Groves" in Mexico City and he was unsure, but suspected that Groves was really B. Traven. Regardless, it's one of the more intriguing mysteries of the literary world. Despite the celebrated acclaim of The Treasure of Sierra Madre, some consider The Bridge in the Jungle to be his best work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History