Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,868,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My people on my mothers side came before the revoltionary war in Pennsyvannia.
Same. My great-grandmother was 100% German descent and about 25 yrs ago one of my great-aunts or uncles hired someone to trace records.

The first ancestor (to reside in what is now the US) in that family line was traced back to his immigration to the colonies in the mid-1700s and he worked and lived around Philadelphia.

Last edited by lisdol; 08-04-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
6 FOOT 3,

According to what I have read, tens of thousands of Mennonites live in Latin America, with the largest number living in Paraguay. Apparently, Paraguay made a very enticing offer of land for them to settle in an area of that country. I have very poor luck with providing workable links, but if you do a search on the following it should bring up an article with more interesting detail:

The Mennonites of Paraguay
Thanks for the info John W ... and although i do know about Paraguay having a high European bloodline i didn't realise that the Mennonites were down there also

Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
In my area there are many Hutterite colonies and we see then in town every day selling their chickens and eggs. They still speak an old form of German that sounds very little like modern German and they wear black suits and hats. We have a friend who is an elder of The New Miami Colony and he has invited us to visit his colony for an informal tour. I doubt that he will allow us to bring our camera.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
In my area there are many Hutterite colonies and we see then in town every day selling their chickens and eggs. They still speak an old form of German that sounds very little like modern German and they wear black suits and hats. We have a friend who is an elder of The New Miami Colony and he has invited us to visit his colony for an informal tour. I doubt that he will allow us to bring our camera.
That was really interesting to hear about the Hutterite's. I always wonder if Germans who visit America ever try to visit some of these different German communities and see how their German compares to the Americanized Germans who speak their own dialect.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM

594 posts, read 1,773,452 times
Quote:
rickers,
I'm glad you mentioned the Hutterites. Like the Amish and Mennonites, they came out of the Anabaptist movement in Europe. As you have mentioned about their colonies, they are much more communal in their housing situations than the Amish or Mennonites. Many also settled in the prairie provinces of Canada. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the state of South Dakota tried to discourage their buying up large tracts of farm land. By the way, are you familiar with the Doukhobors, who originated in Russia and emigrated to western Canada?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 PM

The Hutterites speak an archaic dialect that almost sounds Russian in some ways. They speak this old German to each other but the men speak very good English for the purpose of dealing with outsiders. The Hutterites here have a very bad reputation for stealing from the local stores, I've watched them do it in Pamida's. The clerks know what they are doing but are too intimidated to confront them. They go in as a group of six or seven and huddle in the isles to conceal the thievery from the cameras, they go from isle to isle doing this and then go to the check out and buy one candy bar or something else that is cheap.
The Hutterite women wear classic prairie dresses with polka dot head scarves. I'll try to sneak a picture of some Hutterites as I now have a camera with an 80X zoom, (they don't like to be photographed).
Jakob Huter was burned at the stake for his beliefs in 1536

Last edited by Rickers; 08-05-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,027,339 times
Quote:
The Hutterites speak an archaic dialect that almost sounds Russian in some ways. They speak this old German to each other but the men speak very good English for the purpose of dealing with outsiders. The Hutterites here have a very bad reputation for stealing from the local stores, I've watched them do it in Pamida's. The clerks know what they are doing but are too intimidated to confront them. They go in as a group of six or seven and huddle in the isles to conceal the thievery from the cameras, they go from isle to isle doing this and then go to the check out and buy one candy bar or something else that is cheap.
The Hutterite women wear classic prairie dresses with polka dot head scarves. I'll try to sneak a picture of some Hutterites as I now have a camera with an 80X zoom, (they don't like to be photographed).
Jakob Huter was burned at the stake for his beliefs in 1536
Don't forget the women's tennis shoes! At least, that's what the Hutterites do around here. They also have a poor local reputation for thievery and dishonesty. There must be some sort of thing where it's okay to shaft people outside the colony?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The Hutterites here have a very bad reputation for stealing from the local stores, I've watched them do it in Pamida's. The clerks know what they are doing but are too intimidated to confront them.
Rickers,

I'm curious as to why they are intimidated by them

Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM

The checkout clerks are either young teenagers on their first job or elderly ladies who don't want to make a scene I guess. They sure seem to get away with the stealing though. !
The Hutterites are not suppose to own much personal property, Most of their assets are communally owned. I had some Hutterite folks try to get me to sell large furniture items on craigslist and eBay and they wanted it to be a big secret from other members of their colony so it would seem that some have no qualms against stealing from their own colony either.
None of them are allowed to have money except the male elders.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,773,452 times
rickers,

You mentioned that the Hutterites speak an "archaic dialect" similar to Russian. The reason for that is probably because, as boundaries changed in Eastern Euopre, many Hutterites living in Slovalia and Transylvania moved to Ukraine. They refused to be conscripted into Russian military service and were persecuted. Most of them emigrated to Canada in the early 1900s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History