U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,647,082 times

Advertisements

Ice station zebra was about soviet airborne forces not spetznaz.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM

40 posts, read 67,336 times
That rumor is completely false. I was stationed in Alaska with the Army for years and the Eskimo Scouts periodically claimed to have seen tracks and find documents with Soviet writing etc but when investigated nothing could ever be confirmed..they lost the documents, the documents were shipping labels for trade items, etc.

You can see Big and Little Diomede from each other (Big was Soviet and Littlee US) and you can walk across the ice to visit during the right time of the year but there is absolutely nothing on either one worth noting. There was a case of a crazy Californian that walked across to the Russian side during the cold war where he was detained, treated pretty good, then returned to the US within a week or so (I think his name was John Weymouth or something like that).

Basically my take on it was that the persistent Spetnaz rumors helped keep funding flowing to the Alaska Army National Guard and provided a moral boost for the troops. In all cases, the places these so called incursions were reported had nothing there...no base, no radar installation and in most cases...no town. The north west coast of Alaska is barren and desolate and the Spetnaz had no need to train there even, its barren and desolate in Siberia as well.

Nope, another enduring Cold War myth unsubstantiated by any facts at all.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
but there is absolutely nothing on either one worth noting.
Which is why the argument the spetznaz operated on the island is so silly. In order to get worthless information they would have risked a major diplomatic incident.

Its not impossible, if unlikely, that Russian troops simply got lost and wandered onto the island, but I doubt even that occured very often if ever.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,649,895 times
Wow.....so funny....

I can imagine the scene....Some Spetsnaz muldoons land on some miserable totally wind-swept shore on the Bearing Sea.

"Bleen! It is cold as sheet HERE TOO! "

"Pashlee"......(lets' SPLIT).....

Seriously....If I'd been there....watching from a distance... I'd of stayed on the INSIDE.....

"Russians on the beach?.....No sheet......F--- them....silly bast-ages...they can have it..." ......"your deal...."

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 PM

It reminds me of the sixties movie "The Russians are comming, the Russians are coming," where a Russian sub commander wants to see the US and gets stuck on a sand bar. The local public concludes its a Russian invasion and panics.

Its pretty hilarious...

Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
soviet basterds

Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 AM

9,965 posts, read 15,619,332 times
There's a setup for a Sarah Palin joke in here somewhere...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,928,535 times
Soviet special forces was practically in all parts of the world at that time.( about their tasks) And that in Alaska to do on this answer I not. But why? You know that the Russian intelligence was in all the offices of America? And the Russian intelligence occupied the leading positions in America, including in the sphere of Finance. So for example, show that reached the Russian intelligence is a simple example is The secret project America, this is Manhattan Project, and participated in it the Soviet physics (agents, and so American, who worked at the USSR) And also played a key role in this project. But spetsnaz is a bit of a different kind of problem. The CIA have learned about them mainly after the collapse of the USSR.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,928,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Homesteader View Post
That rumor is completely false. I was stationed in Alaska with the Army for years and the Eskimo Scouts periodically claimed to have seen tracks and find documents with Soviet writing etc but when investigated nothing could ever be confirmed..they lost the documents, the documents were shipping labels for trade items, etc.

You can see Big and Little Diomede from each other (Big was Soviet and Littlee US) and you can walk across the ice to visit during the right time of the year but there is absolutely nothing on either one worth noting. There was a case of a crazy Californian that walked across to the Russian side during the cold war where he was detained, treated pretty good, then returned to the US within a week or so (I think his name was John Weymouth or something like that).

Basically my take on it was that the persistent Spetnaz rumors helped keep funding flowing to the Alaska Army National Guard and provided a moral boost for the troops. In all cases, the places these so called incursions were reported had nothing there...no base, no radar installation and in most cases...no town. The north west coast of Alaska is barren and desolate and the Spetnaz had no need to train there even, its barren and desolate in Siberia as well.

I agree! Russian Alaska't do anything. This rumor helped фенансировать the army and so forth in the region. So often done. That policy gave the good and Finance

Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,679,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Homesteader View Post

That's what I was thinking. What on earth is there to spy on at Little Diomede? You land, climb up to the top of the hill and....then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History