Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

O.k. i don't believe that this has been discussed on here before and so we all know how bad the nazis treated the jews in poland during the occupation however i've been pondering about they treated the ''non'' jewish polish population during the same time? Possibly similar to the non jewish french during that counties occupation as well?

Any insights here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
O.k. i don't believe that this has been discussed on here before and so we all know how bad the nazis treated the jews in poland during the occupation however i've been pondering about they treated the ''non'' jewish polish population during the same time? Possibly similar to the non jewish french during that counties occupation as well?

Any insights here?
It's my understanding that the French civilians were treated the best of any occupied country by the Germans. I would assume that to be due to Hitler's personal feelings but am ready to be corrected.

There were numerous massacres in Poland during the occupation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1939)

Also, the concentration camps while noted with regards to the "holocaust" included many many non-jew poles for any number of reasons.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post

Any insights here?
They murdered them by the hundreds of thousands in various concentration camps and in specific massacres. The Poles were the first be gassed in Auschwitiz, I believe.

Occupation of Poland (1939

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Poles were viewed as subhuman in the same way that Russians were. The Germans saw them as an exploitable economic resource. Additionally, there were a lot of personal grudges between Germans and Poles. The Poles had engaged in a sweeping de-Germanification of Polish territory following WW1 when Poland was reconstituted. Much of the land Poland occupied had once belonged to the Prussian state and had been extensively colonized by Germans and the native Poles were made second class citizens. There was a lot of bad blood between them.

As others said, the occupation in western areas was bad, but life was semi normal for most people. Anyone under occupation in the east faced pretty dire cicumstances. Even if outright extermination was not a daily threat, many people found themselves shipped off as forced labor or made to deal with massive resesettlements.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's my understanding that the French civilians were treated the best of any occupied country by the Germans. I would assume that to be due to Hitler's personal feelings but am ready to be corrected.

There were numerous massacres in Poland during the occupation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1939)

Also, the concentration camps while noted with regards to the "holocaust" included many many non-jew poles for any number of reasons.
Poland was also strongly Catholic. Catholics were not considered trustworthy and this added to them being slavs as a negative to the nazi mind.

The Germans wanted Paris to be a place of escape for themselves. They wanted to be entertained by French artists and enjoy the atmosphere of the 'germanized' Paris. It's been said that the biggest ally of the French underground was the average Frenchman who sought to preserve as much of 'normal' life as possible, so it provided a support system of goods and a population in which to dissapear into.

The Poles were all considered sub-human and aside from taking young blond polish children and 'adopting' them to German families, they were treated as the slavs in general were. The overall idea in Poland was to empty it of Poles so that Germany would have space for a burgeoning population. Thus, deportation and forced labor were common as it didn't 'waste' the resources but got you the land.

The ultimate, never complted plan was to depopulate Eastern Europe of slavs, moving them into the far eastern regions of Russia, and expand the acceptable population with more 'lebenstrom'.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Poland was also strongly Catholic. Catholics were not considered trustworthy
Half of Germany, and all of Austria including Hitler himself were Catholic.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
True.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
The only Protestants amongst the top Nazi leadership were Goering and Rosenberg, if I remember correctly.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
The Catholicism of the Poles didn't seem to matter to the Nazis. The Polish Catholic church was systematically attacked.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The only Protestants amongst the top Nazi leadership were Goering and Rosenberg, if I remember correctly.
It is logical that in the Germany (and Austria) in which the future Nazi leaders were raised that one was either Protestant or Catholic. The more relevant question would be if they actually believed in these religions during their careers as Nazi leaders.

I can recall reading nothing that would lead me to believe that one could characterize Hitler as a Catholic even in the most nominal sense. The Nazis tried to Nazify Germany's Protestant churches , but I wouldn't take that as any indication that they adhered to Lutheranism or the Evangelical church as believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History