Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
IMO he served the songs well. What's your take?

Oh, I think that's quite true, Ringo was the drummer for the Beatles but as a drummer...

Harrison went on to create good music, the same with Lenon, and to some extent McCartney but as a drummer, what has Ringo done for me lately.

As for Mitchell, he had a real jazz touch, which in my opinion is a good thing...

On second thought, let me review some of mitchell's work.

Last edited by ovcatto; 08-17-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
The thing about Woodstock was, until then, nobody knew there were that many hippie/counterculture/rock music fans in the world. Most of the 400,000 who were there were considered "weirdos" in their home towns, and had no idea that there were kindred spirits in other towns and other states. Mainstream culture had been acting as if rock music, marijuana and long hair were just teenage fads that would soon fade. Woodstock is when everybody started to realize that there were a LOT of people who identified with the counterculture, and it wasn't going to go away anytime soon.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Mainstream culture had been acting as if rock music, marijuana and long hair were just teenage fads that would soon fade.
Rock and Roll music already was mainstream culture and had been for quite some time.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Rock and Roll music already was mainstream culture and had been for quite some time.
Hate to be a constant contrarian, but the Rock of Woodstock wasn't the Rock and Roll of Bill Haley, the Beach Boys or even the Beatles.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hate to be a constant contrarian, but the Rock of Woodstock wasn't the Rock and Roll of Bill Haley, the Beach Boys or even the Beatles.
True, that's why I think so much of it's lame. An abberation which the hard rockers and then Punkers of the 70s put paid too. IMO the best "hippie" rock was from simplistic guys like Blue Cheer and Moby Grape, the Grape being basically a Pacific Northwest "Louie, Louie" band who tried to cash in on the hippie thing.

Be as contrary as you like; your comments are always thoughtful.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Speaking of the song "Woodstock", I doubt that many of today's listeners will recognize what Joni Mitchell was talking about: "I came upon a child of god / He was walking along the road..."

The Children of God was a distinct counter-culture sub-group that lived in communes and preached on the street. They were somewhat visable in urban areas in the late 1960s. There was a broader term, "Jesus Freak", that included several of these "hippie" religious cult-like groups. They mostly died out or morphed into some other, later version that was not very recognizable as a derivative of the hippy era.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The thing about Woodstock was, until then, nobody knew there were that many hippie/counterculture/rock music fans in the world. Most of the 400,000 who were there were considered "weirdos" in their home towns, and had no idea that there were kindred spirits in other towns and other states. Mainstream culture had been acting as if rock music, marijuana and long hair were just teenage fads that would soon fade. Woodstock is when everybody started to realize that there were a LOT of people who identified with the counterculture, and it wasn't going to go away anytime soon.
I disagree. Monterey Music Festival had 200,000 in attendance and pre-dated Woodstock by 2 years (and the music was better).
Watching the Woodstock movie, you can see plenty of iconic hippie images, but you also see multitudes of people with relativly short hair and standard apparel, NOT smoking doobage, that simply attended for the day. I actually see Woodstock as the final act in the counterculture movement (it being started in '67), people had been aware of it in mass media for years.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah but, how do you explain Sha-na-na?...and the multitude of Beatles cover toons that were played?

Woodstock had it's musical variety.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Grandstander who believed that the world could be made right via groovy vibes and mind altering drugs.

The CIA thought that to.....

Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
IMO the best "hippie" rock was from simplistic guys like Blue Cheer and Moby Grape, the Grape being basically a Pacific Northwest "Louie, Louie" band who tried to cash in on the hippie thing.
When I think of "hippie" bands I think of John Sebastian, Joni Mitchell, Joplin and definitely Hendrix and the Jefferson Airplane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History