Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

Do you think the USSR and Eastern Bloc would have collapsed anyways without the Berlin Wall being opened and the August Coup taking place?

I think they would have continued to exist but perestroika would have made them open to the global economy. I think by the late 1980s the global economy was pretty much inevitable. The USSR would probably be like China now - still powerful and not wholly integrated with the West, but much more Westernized and capitalistic. Even the Soviet Union of the 80s was somewhat more open than in past decades and I think that if it made it to the 90s and beyond this would have continued.

I do however think that neoliberalism and privatization wouldn't have gone as far if they did if the communist party run countries didn't collapse in a revolution though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
The Fact they needed a wall to keep people in, signaled that the Soviet Uion would not last, so I don't think it could have survived.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Fact they needed a wall to keep people in, signaled that the Soviet Uion would not last, so I don't think it could have survived.
I don't think it was just that, I think it had more to do with the fact West Berlin was an exclave and they needed an effective way of securing the border.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
You pretty much answered your own question. Changes were inevitable. The falling of the Berlin Wall was just the coup de grace.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You pretty much answered your own question. Changes were inevitable. The falling of the Berlin Wall was just the coup de grace.
Yes it was very symbolic. Though actually the Iron Curtain was first punctured in Hungary along the Austria border a few months before the Wall came down.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Ronald Reagan's speech in Berlin and his emphasis on military spending including "star wars" --- Pope John Paul's visit to Poland and his friendship with Poland's labor leader Lech Walesa --- and the general growth in international communications such as television which broadened peoples' perceptions / awareness --- these were all factors in the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I went into East Berlin when the wall was intact. The guards at check-point Charlie had to be chosen by their looks, the roughest, toughest men who ever guarded a place. Like actors, trying to be as tough appearing as possible. Of course, it could have been just my wide-eyed American innocence.
So many rusty cranes parked here and there, with the guide trying to make it seem like much building was taking place. I was glad to get back to West Berlin.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM

125 posts, read 132,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Do you think the USSR and Eastern Bloc would have collapsed anyways without the Berlin Wall being opened and the August Coup taking place?

I think they would have continued to exist but perestroika would have made them open to the global economy. I think by the late 1980s the global economy was pretty much inevitable. The USSR would probably be like China now - still powerful and not wholly integrated with the West, but much more Westernized and capitalistic. Even the Soviet Union of the 80s was somewhat more open than in past decades and I think that if it made it to the 90s and beyond this would have continued.

I do however think that neoliberalism and privatization wouldn't have gone as far if they did if the communist party run countries didn't collapse in a revolution though.
The fall of the Berlin Wall was a sign of what was happening, not a cause.

The Berlin Wall didn't come down until November of 1989.

This came months after Solidarity was legalized and trounced the communists in free elections in Poland in June. In August, Poland got its first non-communist Prime Minister in over 40 years, and in September a non-communist government was approved by parliament.

Hungary abolished the Communist Party's monopoly on power that summer and had already begun dismantling its portion of the Iron Curtain.

If anything, the opening of the Berlin Wall probably extended East Germany's life a little - had Honecker's shoot to kill orders been followed (before he was replaced in mid-October), the change in East Germany from authoritarian to democratic regime would have been rather violent, and unification probably would have come sooner simply out of necessity.

Violence on the East German leadership's part certainly would not have done anything to placate the restive Czechoslovak, Romanian or Bulgarian masses. And it certainly wouldn't have allowed Gorbachev (or any potential successor) to hold the USSR together.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
You guys have it all wrong - The Hoff brought down the Berlin Wall. All Hail David Hasselhoff.

David Hasselhoff's role in the fall of the Berlin Wall | Emma Hartley | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
The system was collapsing globally. It’s a question of whether they were willing to send in the tanks. The Chinese were (i.e., Tiananmen); the Soviets—not so much. Gorbachev was not Deng Xiaoping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History