U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 PM

20,252 posts, read 23,764,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I was waiting at the haircut place and was flipping through one of those god-awful People magazines and I remember a picture of Kate Beckinsale smoking a cigarette outside of a gym. There was another one of Jennifer Aniston smoking.

A lot of people have this notion that "only low-class, uneducated people smoke" (that's verbatim from another thread somewhere) but really, people from all walks of life smoke. I work at a hotel, and we're completely non-smoking so people have to go outside. Trust me-even handsome men in expensive business suits and beautiful women step outside for a few.
For a very long period in Europe, the upper classes didn't smoke, they considered it too lower-class, and they were sniffers instead, sniffing very finely grounded tobacco like cocaine, from their jeweled snuff boxes! Makes you wonder how many are doing that today!

In South America, where tobacco originated, centuries ago, the Indians would drink tobacco! Seep it in hot water, like tea, and down the hatch! Problem with that, they'd make it so strong in would induce hallucinations!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Americans quit smoking and guess what? They got fat.
People lose sight of the fact that tobacco is an herb, like marijuana, with medicinal properties. It's unquestionably a great appetite suppressant, and can be a great tranquilizer, which is why the government and Red Cross flooded the soldiers with in in wars. When the Indians, in this country, had a crop failure, as long as they had tobacco, they'd simply smoke their way to the next successful crop of corn! The Aborigines of Australia did likewise!

When Columbus brought back to Spain the first boatload of tobacco, thanks to the heavy tobacco using Indians, initially, it was to be a controlled substance, only used for medicinal purposes. But, the pleasure principle took over, governments became addicted to the tobacco tax revenue, even funding their wars with that revenue, and it was good-bye to the medicinal benefits of tobacco, especially with the invention of the killer, lung-cancer-causing cigarette in the 1850's.

If they had stuck to tobacco chewing, sniffing it, drinking it, pipe-smoking (pipe smoker's mortality rate is on a par with nonsmokers) or cigars, a bit more dangerous to smoke, we might not have had these current problems today.

Question is, back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, with all that cigarette smoking going on, and given it's an appetite suppressant, was it helpful in controlling obesity back then?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyb201 View Post
So again I ask u....
WHY ARENT TOBACCO CO CHARGED WITH MASS MURDER??!?

Well that's my rant for the day
Peace��
Why? Because the government and tobacco companies have made love and slept together for centuries!

Napoleon financed his Napoleonic wars with tobacco tax revenue and he was encouraging the French to smoke, or smoke more, as more smokers, more tax revenue, and if you think that was unique to France, and not unique to the U.S. or any other country, think again!

Despite the cost of treating those with lung cancer, consider the profitability to the government: In England, in 1999 alone, $11 billion was collected in tobacco tax revenue, and a mere $2 billion to treat those with lung problems. That's an 80% profit! And even if that profit diminishes to 50%, the government is not about to bite the hands that feed them!

Think of all the tobacco tax revenue the state and federal government raked in during the 30's, 40's, 50's! Enough to partially fund WWII and the Vietnam and Korean Wars!

Shift that missing tobacco tax revenue to the nonsmokers, and then? You've got them smoking again!

Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,266,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For a very long period in Europe, the upper classes didn't smoke, they considered it too lower-class, and they were sniffers instead, sniffing very finely grounded tobacco like cocaine, from their jeweled snuff boxes! Makes you wonder how many are doing that
Much like today where many upper class or even middle class people might snort cocaine yet if the concept of smoking CRACK cocaine comes up, they would not even consider it. There logic is only based on what they associate it with. Many don't even know how it is different or care to know.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,900,969 times
I lost both parents in part due to their two pack a day habit. Mom had such severe emphasima that she couldn't lay down and still breath. Dad had a tumor form on the lung, but it grew out instead of in and paralized his lower half when it pressed the spine. One the Dare day at school, my son picked smoking as his project, not to smoke and not to start and told the class he never knew his grandparents because of it.

I remember the gunk which covered walls, windows floors and everything in our house. The real estate person told my dad they had to wash that off or nobody would buy it. He was actually surprised the walls were white when it was finished.

But the really pathetic thing was a friend who literally spit up blood in the morning until he lit up. Our club had an after meeting and he usually got there first and put us in the smoking section. We had someone leave early and set us up in the nonsmoking section on day, and he sat by himself. He couldn't go a whole meal without a cigarette. Even when he was feeling 'better' he sounded just awful but swore that smoking had nothing to do with it.

Then there is my uncle. He went to the doctor with a sore throat. The doctor said he had a small growth which they removed, but if he kept smoking he'd end up with cancer in a year. He went home and threw away all his and my aunts cigaretts and told her she wasn't allowed to smoke inside anymore. She had to got into the back yard. She would do that, even in the rain, and finally gave in about a year later. My father in law did the same, and he's still here in his late 80's. But he has severe copd.

One of the reasons, besides her neighbors, that I don't go to my sil's house is they smoke inside and think you can open a door and freshen up the place. I can't stand the stink of it and even small amounts I can't breath.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:06 PM

5,366 posts, read 5,555,098 times
I was shocked to learn that both of my great grandmothers on mom's side smoked cigarettes. Well, one doesn't shock me too much given the stories I hear. lol. But the other was a good bible reading mother of 10. She didn't want her kids to see so she would smoke in the bathroom with the window open. I am happy to say that on my side of the family, none of her descendants are cigarette smokers.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I lost both parents in part due to their two pack a day habit. Mom had such severe emphasima that she couldn't lay down and still breath. Dad had a tumor form on the lung, but it grew out instead of in and paralized his lower half when it pressed the spine. One the Dare day at school, my son picked smoking as his project, not to smoke and not to start and told the class he never knew his grandparents because of it.

I remember the gunk which covered walls, windows floors and everything in our house. The real estate person told my dad they had to wash that off or nobody would buy it. He was actually surprised the walls were white when it was finished.

But the really pathetic thing was a friend who literally spit up blood in the morning until he lit up. Our club had an after meeting and he usually got there first and put us in the smoking section. We had someone leave early and set us up in the nonsmoking section on day, and he sat by himself. He couldn't go a whole meal without a cigarette. Even when he was feeling 'better' he sounded just awful but swore that smoking had nothing to do with it.

Then there is my uncle. He went to the doctor with a sore throat. The doctor said he had a small growth which they removed, but if he kept smoking he'd end up with cancer in a year. He went home and threw away all his and my aunts cigaretts and told her she wasn't allowed to smoke inside anymore. She had to got into the back yard. She would do that, even in the rain, and finally gave in about a year later. My father in law did the same, and he's still here in his late 80's. But he has severe copd.

One of the reasons, besides her neighbors, that I don't go to my sil's house is they smoke inside and think you can open a door and freshen up the place. I can't stand the stink of it and even small amounts I can't breath.
If you think that, reading these horror stories, this will deter someone from taking up the habit, like teenagers, these scare tactics simply don't work! Why? Because man is a gambler at heart! And? He has ears, he can listen, and they could have listened to my father, who died at 96, quit smoking at 66, on the 50th anniversary of his smoking at 16, 3-4 packs of Kools everyday, and went on to die at an old age, never suffered any lung problems, never any use for oxygen or COPD meds. And there's many more stories like that to listen to!

And, don't be surprised, as a retort, some teenager will say: Yeah! But a number of my family members died in car accidents!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM

3,485 posts, read 5,880,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
... thanks to the heavy tobacco using Indians...
Take another look. Tobacco use in Native America prior to the 20th century was ceremonial/medicinal only. Modern-day tobacco use on reservations and etc is high, to be sure, but that is unique to the 20th and 21st centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History