Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times

Advertisements

I mentioned in the "This Day in History" thread that the first use of a tank in battle by Britain at the Battle of the Somme happened on this day in 1916. I have always been interested in this war and have read quite a bit about it. Including trying to go back to where it all began, which can never be answered 100%...It has its roots from the Napoleon wars.. the Franco-Prussian war... the Turks...the Balkans and on and on. Not to mention many incidents that happened right down to the present that have their roots in this war.
I just started reading "A World Undone..the Story of the Great War" by G.J. Meyer 2006. It is the most comprehensive book on the subject I have ever read, and written in a way that anyone can understand.
Amazon.com: A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 (9780553382402): G.J. Meyer: Books
I got this book from the library, however I will be buying it in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
You can trace it's roots down to the Roman and Byzantinium days if you wanted. Back when the seperate barbarian lands were being settled and individual fiefdoms were being created after Rome disolved.
The real amazing fact about WW1 was just the change of the face of warfare - the new weapons (machine guns, mustard gas, and the first use of airplanes and tanks), the number of soldiers involved, and the tremendous amount of casualties. All these can be traced to the age of enlightenment, the french revolution (indeed also the napoleonic years), and the relative peace in Europe since Waterloo.

-The french revolution and the age of enlightment brought on a new thought of the citizen soldier. First put in place by Napolean. Instead of just royalty (as officers) and the poor or mercenaries (as the cannon fodder linemen) - countries were able to conscript millions with nationalistic ideals.
-the Age of Enlightment also brought about 100 years of peace in europe (relatively that is - broken up by the franco-prussian war and a few other regional wars) that enabled tremendous scientific and industrial gains to be made. This included weapons.
-and of course you can trace the borders and ancient disputes all the way back to the dark ages.
-what's amazing is that the individual countries endured so many casualties (battle deaths that is) vs the population - 2 million in germany, 1 million in France, 800,000 in Italy, 1 million in England. Something that was repeated in WW2. Nevertheless it's interesting that Russia and Italy virtually collapsed, French soldiers had a mass mutiny in 1917 (and Italy as well). Germany endured, at least untill 1918. - all of this was the dark side of "the age of enlightment"/the freedom from dynasties and monarchies and sefdoms.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Personally, I think that World War I was a more disastrous war for Western Civilization than even World War II. For the drained really destroyed so much of the potential that the West was beginning to develop. It costs millions of lives, destroyed the economies of Europe, led directly to the rise of Communism, Fascism, and Nazism, and accomplished nothing except lay the foundation for the next two great historical catastrophes, The Great Depression and World War II.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Personally, I think that World War I was a more disastrous war for Western Civilization than even World War II. For the drained really destroyed so much of the potential that the West was beginning to develop. It costs millions of lives, destroyed the economies of Europe, led directly to the rise of Communism, Fascism, and Nazism, and accomplished nothing except lay the foundation for the next two great historical catastrophes, The Great Depression and World War II.

Yup.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Basically it came down to empire in western europe.Actually WWII was much worse as it was the first that bombing included so many civilan workers that supplied the articles of war.At the end of WWII all of europe was bascailly bankrupt including the UK.Most of their citeis were really a disaster area.Of course ;WWII included much more of the world than just western europe.Of course WWI was bad because it was a stagant war because defsive weapon were dominate.Actually it was a mix of old battle with some modern developments. tactics were centuries old and leadership was fuedal which helped the communist and other parties gain strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History