U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,742,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Thanks.. I just watched pt 1 of the Somme.. now I know what I'll be doing the rest of the day It is so haunting to see the actual films and see the faces and hear the words of all those who fought.
Oh yeah these are great shows as i'm glad they are posted on youtube. I like the fact that they are taken from the actual diaries from the soldiers who survived and died on the battlefield as they tell how they were feeling before the battle and their fears and also their thoughts of their wives, children and family back home etc.

I like the special effects where it shows them marching across ''no mans land'' and you can see the tracers from the machine gun bullets firing at them and wizzing by them and also striking them as it gave you the feel of what they actually were experiencing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,002,939 times
The term "No Man's Land" actually is from the 14th century
No man's land - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
The term "No Man's Land" actually is from the 14th century
No man's land - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What was bad about that was that if you were injured in ''no mans land'' then you were SOL as no one could enter in it to rescue you as that's where a majority died from their wounds.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM

2,654 posts, read 4,909,152 times
At first I thought the answer to this would be a no brainer - WW2. But reading some of the posts here made me pause.

Perhaps the physical destruction of WW2 was much greater, but I think the Psychological shock of WW1 may have been higher. It was probably the world's first taste of total, industrial age warfare on a national scale and led to a level of casualties that shocked the people of that age.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
What was bad about that was that if you were injured in ''no mans land'' then you were SOL as no one could enter in it to rescue you as that's where a majority died from their wounds.
Sometimes if the fighting was especially bad, both sides would call a temporary truce and each side would go out and recover their dead and wounded.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Sometimes if the fighting was especially bad, both sides would call a temporary truce and each side would go out and recover their dead and wounded.
Trudy, one of the shows i was watching was saying that the Germans treated the Belgians terrible when they occupied the country as it was their ''WW2 Poland equivalent'' and so they had mentioned that 45,000 civilians were sent to concentration/labor camps in Germany but i haven't found much on the web about it. Have you ever heard about this?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,863,815 times
At first I would say WW1 caused more destruction in Europe, due to the nature of trench warfare. Many of the trench lines are still visible. I agree that WW2 was a continuation of the WW1, due to the unsatisfactory Treaty of Versailles and a host of hard feelings.

However, WW2 caused infinitely more destruction by air. So it's hard to say for a fact which war caused more destruction. Photos of German cities after the bombings are apocalyptic. It's amazing that anyone lived through them.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Trudy, one of the shows i was watching was saying that the Germans treated the Belgians terrible when they occupied the country as it was their ''WW2 Poland equivalent'' and so they had mentioned that 45,000 civilians were sent to concentration/labor camps in Germany but i haven't found much on the web about it. Have you ever heard about this?
I'm not really sure..I'll look in some of my books and see what I can find. I'm thinking that they were not the same type of camps that would be associated with WW2, more like work camps. Although I'm sure the conditions were not pleasant.

I did find this.. it's pretty lengthy but worth the effort to read:http://etext.virginia.edu/journals/E.../menich39.html

Last edited by Thyra; 09-25-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: New info added

Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure..I'll look in some of my books and see what I can find. I'm thinking that they were not the same type of camps that would be associated with WW2, more like work camps. Although I'm sure the conditions were not pleasant.

I did find this.. it's pretty lengthy but worth the effort to read:http://etext.virginia.edu/journals/E.../menich39.html
Thanks for that link as i'll read it and see what it says about them.

I thought that you might like this as it's Kaiser Wilhelm addressing the German people at the outbreak of WW1 and even though it's in German it's kind of cool to hear his voice as i've always heard Hitler's voice but i've never heard the Kaiser's until now.

Youtube - Wilhelm II To The German People In 1914

Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,467,106 times
Quote:
Thanks for that link as i'll read it and see what it says about them.

I thought that you might like this as it's Kaiser Wilhelm addressing the German people at the outbreak of WW1 and even though it's in German it's kind of cool to hear his voice as i've always heard Hitler's voice but i've never heard the Kaiser's until now.

Youtube - Wilhelm II To The German People In 1914
I cannot believe an intelligent people like the Germans still had a monarchy as late as 1918!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or