Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times

Advertisements

Kind of a random post, but have you ever thought how brave, smart, etc...the settlers and explorers had to of been...sometimes if im driving by deserts, mtns, water ways...what have you...I just think to myself i cant imagine...Anyone ever thought of the toughness it must of took to be an explorer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Which explorers are you talking about? Humbolt? Lewis and Clark? Pike? Magellan? Cook?

Some had it much easier then others. Some just plain got lost. Others achieved the impossible through daunting odds.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
My great-grandmother came to Oregon at the age of 14 with her family from Missouri, just after the Civil War. She walked the entire way, barefoot. Any time I think I can't do something I think of her.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Not so much explorers but I think about what it must have been like for all my ancestors who immigrated to the US, from some of the earliest German settlers pre-revolutionary war to the Italians during the industrial age. I myself have moved to another country but in this day and age, it's comparatively easy to travel and keep contact with love ones. I'm constantly amazed that some of my ancestors got on a boat, sometimes even as teens, all alone, not even knowing if they would survive the journey there, only to land in a foreign place with virtually nothing and possibly never see their families ever again.

But I always remember what inspired them to make such a bold step. For the early German settlers in my tree, it was probably religious persecution (they were Mennonites). It's incredible to think what they went through.

Explorers - well, they're just plain crazy, lol.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 AM

294 posts, read 699,094 times
you've gotta take your hats off to The Mormon settlers into Utah, that must have been some trek.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,913 times
I ponder the same questions, and wish we knew just when America was "discovered" and mapped, as I no longer believe Columbus was the first as we were led to believe. Wonder if there is truth to the tale of the Saint, who came out of Ireland to discover a new world? The religious persecutions made most people leave their homelands in order to stay alive, so they risked it all to let their progeny survive. My hat goes off to those who made America a free country that welcomes all cultures,and religions, a place of equality and justice for all! (I wish it were as it was intended)

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
I recently developed an interest in the early Spanish explorations of the US East Coast...

Developed this when I went to Jamestown and got into a discussion with one of the guides about Native interaction with the English when they first arrived there... He brought up the interesting point that they were VERY wary of the English because of previous contact with the Spanish (obviously they didn't know the difference between English and Spanish. Why would they?). I hadn't really considered that the Spanish had bothered to explore up into the Carolinas or Virginia but it made sense and piqued my interest.

So I started doing a little researching into my spare time of the early Spanish exploration of the area... DeSoto, Pardo, De Narvaez, etc... Interesting stuff....

Didn't seem like they made it as far as Virginia, but close and their relations with the natives were iffy at best, as was common for the Spaniards based on the way they treated them...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
If it is reasonable to expect that the Spanish would have explored a couple of weeks/months journey to the north of their known landings, it would likewise be similarly reasonable that the Norse would have done the same to the south of their known landings.

Without some archaeological evidence, we will never know.

ABQConvict

Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,913 times
I recently watched a program on History International regarding the Kensington (sp?) Stone, and one of the first land claims in America. WOW! cool stuff!! I need a job digging for truth, too bad I cant make a living doing what I love to do. Someday!!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Anyone with a very basic knowledge of Scandinavian languages can tell you that the Kensington runestone is a pretty obvious fake. That said, a medieval Norse penny was found on a New Jersey beach (or was it Maine?). This doesn't mean that Norsemen were present there, of course. Only that their trade network extended that far.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History