Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:57 AM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times

Advertisements

as i said over and over it could be any topic, but i thought talking about the difference just 10 years make from decade to decade would be interesting...it could be any of the above topics...from 1900-1910, 1910-1920 and so on...

but i guess it is to complicated a subject.

its like some just use the net as a took for something to complain about.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
funny thing is i have a history degree.
That is pretty funny. But not too believable, frankly.

Quote:
but i guess it is to complicated a subject.
It's kind of like the English language that way, I suppose.

Quote:
its like some just use the net as a took for something to complain about.
...or get free help with homework, perhaps.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,709 times
I have a history degree as well and the question is ridiculous; if you have studied history, then you know of the differences in culture, in society, in events.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Why bother to have any discussions about historical events at all then? There are many subjects where we know significant parts about a certain important historical time, so does that mean we shouldnt have any discussions...? If there are classes on this subject, which you admitted to yourself, and I admitted to taking while i was in college, the subject must be able to be discussed. Just beacuse there are a lot of areas that could be covered during this time, it shouldnt be looked at? Your reasoning is ridiculous, not my question.

I still dont see what is so difficult to understand in wanting to discuss the main factors that 10 years made in a decade in early America...but so it is...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
Let's not get off topic, please

Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
What was the main difference in say between the 1900s and 1910s...the 1920s and 1930s..and then 1940s...

any thoughts?
Outside of the obvious events that shaped the different decade's that they happened in as for example the Great Depression in the 30's, WW2 in the 40's or Nuclear Age in the 50's etc...probably seeing technology advance would the difference that i'm thinking. Look at the auto's for example as every decade they modernized and/or changed in the style and appearance as the 50's looked different than the 40's and the 60's different than the 50's etc .. or look at home appliances as i seen photo's of refrigerators in the 1930's and how much more modern they looked in the 1950's or civilian and military aircraft as every decade they advanced etc .. or look at movies and music as how they constantly were evolving from decade to decade as again to me it was the constant inovation and/or evolving of everyday technology that was different from decade to decade.

Anyway that's my thought's about it.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
What was the main difference in say between the 1900s and 1910s...the 1920s and 1930s..and then 1940s...

any thoughts?
OK, I'll bite, as insults for this kind of question are a little bit uncalled for.

I would guess you are talking about the "feel" of the decades. I think there is a defininte group conciousness that follows the decades to some degree. As it is a product of human thought, it changes more or less every 10 years, because the start of a new decade is often thought of as a new begining. Anyway, here's how I see it from an American perspective:

1900-1910

The "gilded age". It was the tail end of the Victorian age and a time of great innovation; technology took people to new heights, both figurative and literally. The world changed faster than it ever had before and the general tone was very optimistic. This is when men flew for the first time, the general public could get indoor plumbing and electricty, and advances in medicine made lives longer and heathier. The world may not have been perfect, but people believed it soon would be.

1911-1919

The loss of innocence. Reality knocked some sense into people and events like the sinking of the Titanic, World War 1 and the Spanish Flu epidemic gave optimism a swift kick in the stomach and reminded us that we were still subject to nature despite our technological advancement. Many people rejected the machine age and perceived excess of the victorian era and gravitated toward the "Arts and Crafts" lifestyle, which emphasized a simpler, more honest and naturalistic way of living.

1920-1929
Boom time. The teens kicked our collective asses but we got back up, dusted ourselves off and went full steam for progress again. Science was making amazing discoveries, the average person could afford to buy an automobile and suburbia was born. Easy credit was born too to pay for it all.

1930-the forties

Time to pay the piper again. The great depression ruined everybody's mood and it culminated in the greatest war the world had ever seen. Frugality and hard work were the order of the day, punctuated by fear and uncertainty for the future. Government was the perceived savior and we were more patriotic than ever.

There ya go!

Last edited by Chango; 10-06-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM

The last two responses were very interesting...as that is what i thought would be interesting to discuss.

and thanks for the rep points from folks too...i really didnt see what was so out of the ordinary with the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History